Thread: Sen. James Inhofe: The Case for Israel

Sen. James Inhofe: The Case for Israel

Sen. James Inhofe (R-Okla.) will become the Ranking member of the Senate Armed Services Committee in the next Congress. Sen. John McCain will become the Ranking member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

It reminded me of a speech Inhofe gave in 2002 defending Israel in which he made a case for the Jewish state:

Israel

In a Senate speech on March 4, 2002, Inhofe presented his position on the "seven reasons that Israel has the right to their land."[60]

These are summarized as follows:

1) Archeological evidence. Excerpt: "Every time there is a dig in Israel, it does nothing but support the fact that Israelis have had a presence there for 3,000 years."

2) Historic right. Inhofe's case includes the historic presence of Israel prior to the Roman Empire, and the promise given to the Jews by Britain in 1917 to provide a Jewish homeland.

3) Agricultural development. Inhofe argues that Israel has been "able to bring more food out of a desert environment than any other country in the world."

4) Humanitarian Concerns. Inhofe argues that due to the extent of their persecution - he cites Russia - and their slaughter- during World War II by the Nazis - the Jews are entitled to a homeland, and that this is not an unreasonable demand.

5) Strategic Ally of the United States. "They vote with us in the United Nations more than England, more than Canada, more than France, more than Germany — more than any other country in the world."

6) Israel acts as an effective roadblock to terrorism. In this part of his speech, Inhofe refers to four wars which Israel has fought and won (as of the date of his speech, dated 2002): "The 1948 War of Independence, the 1956 Sinai campaign, the 1967 Six Day War, and the 1973 Yom Kippur War." And he states that "In all four cases, Israel was attacked. They were not the aggressor ... In regard to their effectiveness, they are great warriors. They consider a level playing field being outnumbered 2-to-1." He also states at this point that, "One of the reasons I believe the spiritual door was opened for an attack against the United States is that the policy of our government has been to ask the Israelis, and demand it with pressure, not to retaliate in a significant way against the terrorist strikes that have been launched against them."[60]

7) Biblical references. Inhofe states, "I believe very strongly that we ought to support Israel, and that it has a right to the land, because God said so."

In a Senate speech, Inhofe said that America should base its Israel policy on the text of the Bible:

"I believe very strongly that we ought to support Israel; that it has a right to the land. This is the most important reason: Because God said so. As I said a minute ago, look it up in the Book of Genesis. It is right up there on the desk.

In Genesis 13:14–17, the Bible says:

The Lord said to Abraham, "Lift up now your eyes, and look from the place where you are northward, and southward, and eastward and westward: for all the land which you see, to you will I give it, and to your seed forever. . . . Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it to thee." That is God talking.

The Bible says that Abraham removed his tent and came and dwelt in the plain of Mamre, which is in Hebron, and built there an altar before the Lord. Hebron is in the West Bank. It is at this place where God appeared to Abram and said, "I am giving you this land — the West Bank". This is not a political battle at all. It is a contest over whether or not the word of God is true. ”

In March 2002, Inhofe also made a speech before the U.S. Senate that included the explicit suggestion that the 9/11 terrorist attacks were a form of divine retribution against the U.S. for failing to defend Israel. In his words: "One of the reasons I believe the spiritual door was opened for an attack against the United States of America is that the policy of our Government has been to ask the Israelis, and demand it with pressure, not to retaliate in a significant way against the terrorist strikes that have been launched against them."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Inhofe

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I basically agree with him, although I don't support foreign aid or the kind of entangling alliance that we currently have with Israel. But I agree that they have a right to their own land.

Whether or not Israel "should exist" is not an American political problem.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Dispensationalism, my old enemy, we meet again.
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by James Madison View Post
    Dispensationalism, my old enemy, we meet again.
    Do you have any simple ways to argue against dispensationalism, say, for someone who believes in it, but doesn't even know she does? (She also had no clue what neoconservatism is, despite holding those beliefs.)
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    I basically agree with him, although I don't support foreign aid or the kind of entangling alliance that we currently have with Israel. But I agree that they have a right to their own land.

I'm Cherokee.

Do my people have the right of their land back? It's only been a 100+ years or so.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I'm Cherokee.

Do my people have the right of their land back? It's only been a 100+ years or so.
    Pfft. No way, it ain't in the bible!
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Do you have any simple ways to argue against dispensationalism, say, for someone who believes in it, but doesn't even know she does? (She also had no clue what neoconservatism is, despite holding those beliefs.)
    For one thing, nothing about dispensationalism entails equating the modern nation-state of Israel with the biblical nation of Israel that God made those promises to. If she thinks they are the same, challenge her on why.

Is it because they have the same name? Any country we call "Israel" just gets to be the special one?

Is it because of Judaism? So if I renounce Jesus Christ and convert to Judaism, then I can move to Israel and American taxpayers are obligated to buy stuff for me?

Is it because of genetics? If so, what's the genetic relationship between the population of the modern nation-state of Israel and the biblical nation? And what's the genetic relationship between modern Arabs and that biblical nation? Are Arabs who are descended from Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob to be less favored than Israelis who aren't?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    1) Archeological evidence. Excerpt: "Every time there is a dig in Israel, it does nothing but support the fact that Israelis have had a presence there for 3,000 years."

--It also supports that the Arab Palestinians have been there for 3,000 years. And very few of those years was that area ruled by Hebrews.
    --As Ender said, a dig in the US would prove that this is ancient historical Indian land.

2) Historic right. Inhofe's case includes the historic presence of Israel prior to the Roman Empire, and the promise given to the Jews by Britain in 1917 to provide a Jewish homeland.

--Jews have been in Persia for thousands of years as well, does he think Iran belongs to them?
    --How does Britain have the right to Israel/Palestine, but not the US?

3) Agricultural development. Inhofe argues that Israel has been "able to bring more food out of a desert environment than any other country in the world."

--So if I take Inhofe's land, and manage to produce more food out of it than he ever was, do I get to throw him in a refugee camp?

4) Humanitarian Concerns. Inhofe argues that due to the extent of their persecution - he cites Russia - and their slaughter- during World War II by the Nazis - the Jews are entitled to a homeland, and that this is not an unreasonable demand.

--So why aren't we creating a homeland for the Armenians or the Palestinians?

5) Strategic Ally of the United States. "They vote with us in the United Nations more than England, more than Canada, more than France, more than Germany — more than any other country in the world."

--Really? That's a reason to force indigenous people off their land?

6) Israel acts as an effective roadblock to terrorism. In this part of his speech, Inhofe refers to four wars which Israel has fought and won (as of the date of his speech, dated 2002): "The 1948 War of Independence, the 1956 Sinai campaign, the 1967 Six Day War, and the 1973 Yom Kippur War." And he states that "In all four cases, Israel was attacked. They were not the aggressor ... In regard to their effectiveness, they are great warriors. They consider a level playing field being outnumbered 2-to-1." He also states at this point that, "One of the reasons I believe the spiritual door was opened for an attack against the United States is that the policy of our government has been to ask the Israelis, and demand it with pressure, not to retaliate in a significant way against the terrorist strikes that have been launched against them."[60]

--They were aggressors in most all of those cases.
    --They're "great warriors" because they're armed to the gills.
    --In regards to being an effective roadblock to terrorism, perhaps Inhofe should read up on the Lavon Affair, the JDL's US terrorist attacks, the USS Liberty and the reason we were attacked on 9/11.

7) Biblical references. Inhofe states, "I believe very strongly that we ought to support Israel, and that it has a right to the land, because God said so."

In a Senate speech, Inhofe said that America should base its Israel policy on the text of the Bible:

"I believe very strongly that we ought to support Israel; that it has a right to the land. This is the most important reason: Because God said so. As I said a minute ago, look it up in the Book of Genesis. It is right up there on the desk.

--God's a real estate agent specializing in stolen property?

This guy's a lunatic.

The fact that this came from one of our politicians is embarrassing.
    ...but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    It's very hard to argue with most dispensationalists, simply because so many of their beliefs are grounded in an emotional attachment to worldly institutions or events (supporting 'Gods People' and the physical state of Israel, opposing the evil Muslims [whom many will identify as the 'anti-christ], etc.). For a brief introduction I would read through this article.

http://www.theopedia.com/Dispensationalism

For the record, I generally accept Historicism, based on the writings of people like Martin Luther, John Calvin, and many other Reformers.

As for arguing against Dispenationalism, there are several ways. The easiest is to simply ask yourself this question: does God have One Plan, or seven? Two separate Peoples or One Church, One Body in Christ? Were the promises made to Abraham its own Covenant, or were they fulfilled in Christ?

God has One Plan; there has only been One Plan. It may have started 14 Billion years ago, but it has always been working toward the same goal: the eternal destruction of evil and the glorification of God's Perfection.

Hope this helps.
    Knowledge will forever govern ignorance; and a people who mean to be their own governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives. -James Madison

are ashkenazi jews semitic?
    A society that places equality before freedom with get neither; A society that places freedom before equality will yield high degrees of both

Make a move and plead the 5th because you can't plead the 1st