Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rand explains vote for NDAA '13

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate View Post
    From the OP:

NDAA is not a spending bill. It could say that the DoD can spend $10 trillion developing a cure for gayness, but unless the appropriations bill grants them the money they don't have a single penny.
    Not once did I say spend! But you are dodging the entire idea of why I protest NDAA.
    " We are taught to stay in line, not question, not think or create.
    We are coddled to support their agenda of an everyday worker bee.
    Education, for the sake of intellectual growth, is subverted. We are only
    judged on a national test built by the same corps. that control what we are
    taught in school. Any idea outside of their 'norm' is coddled to underachieve
    and desensitize themselves to fit into a box that humanity shouldn't fit into."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 12-27-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Rand Paul - Explanation of 2013 NDAA Vote

This year's (2013 NDAA) bill did not contain the authorization for indefinite detention.

Explanation of NDAA Vote
    by Rand Paul on Friday, December 7, 2012 at 11:57am ·

I have noticed that many are confused by my vote for NDAA. Please allow me to explain.

First, we should be clear about what the bill is. NDAA is the yearly defense authorization bill. It’s primary function is to specify which programs can and can't be funded within the Pentagon and throughout the military. It is not the bill that spends the money—that comes later in an appropriations bill.

Because I think we should spend less, I will offer amendments to cut spending. I will likely vote against the final spending bill. This wasn't it.

This bill also isn’t about indefinite detention. This year's bill did not contain the authorization for indefinite detention.

That provision was in last year's NDAA bill.

The bill this year contained the amendment I supported which sharply limited the detention power, and eliminated it entirely for American citizens in the US. While it is only a partial victory, it was a big victory. Particularly compared to what passed last year. Even so, I will continue to fight to protect anyone who could possibly be indefinitely detained.

I would never vote for any bill, anywhere, that I believed enhanced the government's power to abridge your rights and detain people. This goes against every principle I hold dear and the Constitution I took an oath to uphold and protect.

Government power and the many associated abuses have been piling up for years. We will not win all our liberties back at once. But we did win one battle this year, and we should be pleased that we did while also realizing the fight is really just getting started.

I hope you will keep fighting alongside me.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/rand-p...51450781088054
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345