Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter Schiff talks about Mish

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Peter Schiff talks about Mish

Rand Paul 2016

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Peter Schiff's investment strategy has been very straight forward and consistent since around 2000. Basically precious metals and foreign stocks with high dividends in fiscally sound countries. It's easy to check the record on his strategy. Compare that to a typical portfolio and you'll see that his strategy FAR outperfomed the typical one since 2000. The only time the typical strategy did better was in 2009 but Schiff did much better in all the other time frames. It's wrong to cherry pick one small time frame when he lost money and ignore the vast majority of the time when he made money. Plus the most important fact is that the NET gain for Schiff's strategy is much higher than the others since 2000.

Schiff is a big proponent of investing in those foreign dividend stocks in their respective currencies. ex; AUD, CAD, etc.

I've yet to find a way to do this with a small investment account. Seems like you have to be a high roller to do this.

Anyone have any experience with currency ETF's like FXA or FXC?

Quote Originally Posted by sluggo View Post
    Schiff is a big proponent of investing in those foreign dividend stocks in their respective currencies. ex; AUD, CAD, etc.

I've yet to find a way to do this with a small investment account. Seems like you have to be a high roller to do this.

Open a retail brokerage account. Unless the brokerage house has a low end limit you should be able to buy as little as one share of an ETF provided you're willing to pay the ticket charges. Now spreading the cost of the purchase and sale over one share might mitigate any ability to make anything but thats on you.

If you have a 401K check to see if you have an option to go outside of the normal, crappy mutual fund choices they give you. I called my investment company (Fidelity) and they sent me some paperwork to set up this thing called a brokerage link. Now I can buy anything that you can buy with a normal investment account. I own a lot of foreign mining companies, a gold ETF (GLD), and an oil ETF (USL). My guess it most investment companies don't advertise this feature. Maybe they don't want the liability. If someone loses their 401K day trading they might try to sue.

Correct me if I'm wrong but here is a list of his funds: http://www.europacificfunds.com/

Most don't show much of a history (atleast according to morningstar...which has it flaws) the ones that do have underpreformed their peers. The cost is much higher then their peers. If you have longer history I'm all ears. But ussually when you have a flawed fund they "re-create" the fund with a different ticker to get rid of its lack of preformance rather then its above average preformance as you're suggesting.

All things being equal. Their investment philosphy is flawed. You can't invest using our current currency (dollars) into foreign stock or precious metals held in dollars and escape any of the doom and gloom he's predicting. Massive inflation which seems to be his biggest concern (as is mine) will effect all aspects of life. Foreign companies and dollar denominated PM's will have no better or worse ability to increase in value over any other type of asset (assuming that asset would rise with inflation as most assets do)
    Last edited by jbauer; 12-05-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but here is a list of his funds: http://www.europacificfunds.com/

Most don't show much of a history (atleast according to morningstar...which has it flaws) the ones that do have underpreformed their peers. The cost is much higher then their peers. If you have longer history I'm all ears. But ussually when you have a flawed fund they "re-create" the fund with a different ticker to get rid of its lack of preformance rather then its above average preformance as you're suggesting.

All things being equal. Their investment philosphy is flawed. You can't invest using our current currency (dollars) into foreign stock or precious metals held in dollars and escape any of the doom and gloom he's predicting. Massive inflation which seems to be his biggest concern (as is mine) will effect all aspects of life. Foreign companies and dollar denominated PM's will have no better or worse ability to increase in value over any other type of asset (assuming that asset would rise with inflation as most assets do)
    Schiff is a long term investor. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he just started his funds a couple of years ago. That's not long enough to make an evaluation.

As far as avoiding inflation why wouldn't foreign stock be a hedge? If I buy 100 shares of Toyota, does it matter what currency I used to buy those shares? The fact is I now own 100 shares of Toyota and not dollars. So if the dollar loses value my shares will go up in dollar terms.

Shedlock thinks we are going to have deflation, Schiff thinks inflation. Would you rather own gold (Schiff) or treasuries (Shedlock)?

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    Schiff is a long term investor. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think he just started his funds a couple of years ago. That's not long enough to make an evaluation.

As far as avoiding inflation why wouldn't foreign stock be a hedge? If I buy 100 shares of Toyota, does it matter what currency I used to buy those shares? The fact is I now own 100 shares of Toyota and not dollars. So if the dollar loses value my shares will go up in dollar terms.

Shedlock thinks we are going to have deflation, Schiff thinks inflation. Would you rather own gold (Schiff) or treasuries (Shedlock)?
    Your 100 shares of Toyota should go up within spitting difference of a 100 share of GM or Ford given a certain set of circumstances. I'm not sayin Schiff is not hedging for inflation. I'm saying owning stock regardless of region should do the exact same thing esspecially given the correlation factors between regions of late.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
    Your 100 shares of Toyota should go up within spitting difference of a 100 share of GM or Ford given a certain set of circumstances. I'm not sayin Schiff is not hedging for inflation. I'm saying owning stock regardless of region should do the exact same thing esspecially given the correlation factors between regions of late.
    I totally agree, assuming that Toyota and Ford are equally profitable in the future. But given our debt and coming inflation there's a good chance that US companies will not be as profitable as foreign companies in the future. (Maybe Toyota was not such a good example given Japan's debt!)

But foreign companies are not Schiff's only strategy. He also thinks you should buy precious metals like gold and avoid cash like US treasuries. Most investors think treasuries are the safest investment you can make. Schiff thinks it's one of the riskiest. What do you think?

Do you think we are going to have inflation or deflation in terms of dollars?
    Isn't that irrelevant to whether Schiff's criticism of Mish's firm is accurate?

I'm talking about the ability to convert USD to CAD and invest in the Canadian stock market, for example.

Seems like most brokerages that will even do this require minimums of 100K and up.

I'm talking about the ability to convert USD to CAD and invest in the Canadian stock market, for example.

Seems like most brokerages that will even do this require minimums of 100K and up.
    Wrong. Check out any discount brokerage. Even fidelity or something like that would work, given the huge number of ETFs available to the average joe investor.

Quote Originally Posted by jclay2 View Post
    Wrong. Check out any discount brokerage. Even fidelity or something like that would work, given the huge number of ETFs available to the average joe investor.
    Jclay is right you're very much able to trade canadian currency (denominated in dollars) in any plain jane brokerage account. Have fun.

It is my understanding that you cannot hold foregin currency in a domestic account denominated in a foregin currency. (even if a statment says you own that currency) If you can it certainly isn't readily availible. All etf are going to trade back to local currency at some point and since you live here that currency is dollars. Now if you want to move to another country that is one way to accomplish this. The whole trade back to local currency makes it possible for "the man" to be able to tax you accordingly.

http://www.sitkapacific.com/files/Si..._Portfolio.pdf

Mish has outperformed both the S&P Benchmark and the Hedge Fund industry tracker over the last 5 years.

Schiff's funds, on the other hand, have trailed both benchmarks. Unsurprising that he, unlike Mish, doesn't make his results easy to find.

Not to mention the exorbitant fees he charges those that trade through his firm.

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyIn08 View Post

Mish has outperformed both the S&P Benchmark and the Hedge Fund industry tracker over the last 5 years.

Schiff's funds, on the other hand, have trailed both benchmarks. Unsurprising that he, unlike Mish, doesn't make his results easy to find.

Not to mention the exorbitant fees he charges those that trade through his firm.
    Do you think we are going to have inflation or deflation in terms of dollars?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Why are you only going back 5 years?

Quote Originally Posted by headhawg7 View Post
    Why are you only going back 5 years?
    That's a fairly standard time frame for a firm that's only been around 7 years. I'm sure when the fund hits 10 years they'll have a 10 year track record.

That being said, that is also irrelevant as the linked document also contains a performance column for the fund since inception. It has beaten both indices over that length of time as well.

Do you have proof of the "exorbitant fees"? I've never used his investment company but I have bought gold from his precious metals company. I paid 4% above spot for 1 ounce Canadian maple leafs, which is a pretty good deal.

Do you have proof of the "exorbitant fees"? I've never used his investment company but I have bought gold from his precious metals company. I paid 4% above spot for 1 ounce Canadian maple leafs, which is a pretty good deal.
    Yes! My dad used his firm. They were extremely high near 3-4 % for canadian energy stocks. I tried as hard as I could to shift him away from it, but he go suckered in by Schiff's presentation and commentary. BTW, those commission rates are absurd. Just go check Interactive brokers foriegn stock market rates to see. On IB, the rate for canadian stocks is 1 penny per share! Schiff is a joke as far as being a moral business man. While I agree with most of his opinions on the economy, he is a self serving individual looking after himself before the people he serves.

Yes! My dad used his firm. They were extremely high near 3-4 % for canadian energy stocks. I tried as hard as I could to shift him away from it, but he go suckered in by Schiff's presentation and commentary. BTW, those commission rates are absurd. Just go check Interactive brokers foriegn stock market rates to see. On IB, the rate for canadian stocks is 1 penny per share! Schiff is a joke as far as being a moral business man. While I agree with most of his opinions on the economy, he is a self serving individual looking after himself before the people he serves.

I asked the manager at Schiff's precious metals company (who I bought my gold from) to respond. Here is what he wrote:

The transactional fees are slim with any online broker dealer. Sure, if an investor wants to do his own stock picking, he’ll just pay the transactional costs per trade.

EPC clients pay to get Peter’s market insights and investment recommendations and to work one-on-one with a broker who will tailor a portfolio that is suitable to each individual client. 3% is very standard within the brokerage industry.

I did some research on this and found you are not comparing apples to apples. Schiff's firm is a full service broker dealing in foreign accounts so if you want to compare prices you need to make sure it's both a full service broker and you're buying foreign stocks.

Here is a price quote I found from another international full service broker recommened by Casey Research:

Question : What is your commission structure?
    Answer : We believe that our commissions are very competitive, especially in light of our specialized services. They generally fall somewhere between those of the “discount brokers” and the larger, full-service brokerage firms. In percentage terms, you can expect to pay somewhere between 1/2 percent and 3.5 percent depending on the price of the shares and the number of shares traded, subject to a minimum of $60 per trade. There is a minimum opening transaction requirement of $1,500. Additionally, there will be a $35 charge deducted from your account annually unless you make at least two trades per year or maintain a cash balance over $10,000. To receive a commission-rate quote on a specific transaction, please don’t hesitate to call and speak with a Global registered representative.

So it would appear that 3-4% is within industry standards.

I asked the manager at Schiff's precious metals company (who I bought my gold from) to respond. Here is what he wrote:

The transactional fees are slim with any online broker dealer. Sure, if an investor wants to do his own stock picking, he’ll just pay the transactional costs per trade.

EPC clients pay to get Peter’s market insights and investment recommendations and to work one-on-one with a broker who will tailor a portfolio that is suitable to each individual client. 3% is very standard within the brokerage industry.

I did some research on this and found you are not comparing apples to apples. Schiff's firm is a full service broker dealing in foreign accounts so if you want to compare prices you need to make sure it's both a full service broker and you're buying foreign stocks.

Here is a price quote I found from another international full service broker recommened by Casey Research:

Question : What is your commission structure?
    Answer : We believe that our commissions are very competitive, especially in light of our specialized services. They generally fall somewhere between those of the “discount brokers” and the larger, full-service brokerage firms. In percentage terms, you can expect to pay somewhere between 1/2 percent and 3.5 percent depending on the price of the shares and the number of shares traded, subject to a minimum of $60 per trade. There is a minimum opening transaction requirement of $1,500. Additionally, there will be a $35 charge deducted from your account annually unless you make at least two trades per year or maintain a cash balance over $10,000. To receive a commission-rate quote on a specific transaction, please don’t hesitate to call and speak with a Global registered representative.

So it would appear that 3-4% is within industry standards.
    No offense, but these specialized portfolios are a joke. There is no intense research on Peter's part that goes into their picks. It is dart throwing at best and (at least in my dad's case) they put him into very volatile stocks that were not suitable for his circumstances. Trust me, I work in this industry, stay away from him. You can replicate any strategy that is touted by peter with instant diversification and extremely low costs using index funds and etfs. No need to pay 3-4 percent to have some moron broker blindly pick 20 companies from an excel spread sheet.

Isn't that what a businessman is supposed to do? Its not charity. Its about making money. Ayn Rand talked about $#@! like this. Rational self interest. Watch the movie Atlas Shrugged.

Quote Originally Posted by Qdog View Post
    Isn't that what a businessman is supposed to do? Its not charity. Its about making money. Ayn Rand talked about $#@! like this. Rational self interest. Watch the movie Atlas Shrugged.
    Are you freaking serious? So charging your unknowing and foolish clients rates 100s of times above the market rate for a service is what a businessman is supposed to do.

I support most of schiff's views, but he is in this for the money. And if that means ripping his clients off, he will do so with pleasure. Can someone give me any evidence that schiff is not completely screwing his clients over with his egregious brokerage rates to implement his investment strategy?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What Peter says as to why he refused to be on the same show as Mish sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I would have done the same thing.
    My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right, tend to be unwilling or unable to accept blame )

Quote Originally Posted by ronpaulfollower999 View Post
    OMFG! I had respect for Mish till now. WTF was he thinking doing that to Peter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    OMFG! I had respect for Mish till now. WTF was he thinking doing that to Peter?
    Peter - the paragon of principle. The man who uses his books to attracts clients who overpay by exceptional margins for basic brokerage operations and underperfoming funds with egregious management fees.

Yes, lets just take his word on the matter.

At least Mish has the guts to admit when he's wrong.

I would like to hear the audio of Schiff talking about Krugman's attack on him last week

Does anyone have it ?

Peter - the paragon of principle. The man who uses his books to attracts clients who overpay by exceptional margins for basic brokerage operations and underperfoming funds with egregious management fees.

Yes, lets just take his word on the matter.

At least Mish has the guts to admit when he's wrong.
    That's cool of him. He used to do a segment on Charles Goyette's show. Mish should find another public forum because even when he's inaccurate, he's interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Understanding how the economy works over the long term and being a good trader are two skill sets that have zero correlation with each other. You could be the best trader of all time (see Soros) and not understand basic economics. On the flip side there are almost no economists that make money in the markets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast