Thread: Justin Amash's facebook post on being purged off the Budget committee

Thumbs up Justin Amash's facebook post on being purged off the Budget committee

From Justin Amash's Facebook:

Rumor has it that I’ve been removed from the House Committee on the Budget. Remarkably, I still have not received a single call, e-mail, or text from Republican leadership confirming this story. In fact, I wouldn’t even have learned about it if not for the news reports. I look forward to hearing from my party’s leadership about why my principled, conservative voting record offends them. That’s sure to be a lively and entertaining conversation.

In the meantime, I can only speculate as to what specifically would make Republican leadership punish several of its party’s most principled members. Rep. Tim Huelskamp, who was kicked off of both Budget and the Committee on Agriculture, voted with me against the 2013 House budget resolution because it does not sufficiently address the federal government’s debt crisis. That was one of only three times during this Congress that I voted against the Chairman’s recommendations in committee. In fact, I voted with the Republican Chairman more than 95% of the time, and I have voted with my party’s leadership more than three-quarters of the time on the House floor.

What message does leadership’s heavy-handedness send? It says that independent thinking won’t be tolerated, not even 5% of the time. It says that voting your conscience won’t be respected. It says that fulfilling your commitment to your constituents to work with both Republicans and Democrats to reduce our debt takes a back seat to the desires of corporate special interests. And, most troubling for our party, it says to the growing number of young believers in liberty that their views are not welcome here.

I’ll miss working with my colleagues on Budget. I don’t relish this situation, but if one thing is clear based on the response from the grassroots, it’s that leadership’s actions will backfire. If they think kicking me off of a committee will lead me to abandon my principles or stifle my bipartisan work toward a balanced budget, I have a message for them: You’re dead wrong.
    http://amash.house.gov/

(H/T Bull Lion at daily paul)

this goes with the twitter meme I posted in another thread:

Last edited by sailingaway; 12-04-2012 at 11:39 PM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    mmmm that Justin Amash sure knows how to fire me up!

Justin AmashVerified
    ‏@repjustinamash
    Still waiting for call from GOP leadership. Are they too embarrassed to explain they booted me for working to reduce debt?

https://twitter.com/repjustinamash/s...18069842173952
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

I wish there was a way we could get a lot of media attention for this purge.
    In 200 years the American people have replaced 1 dictator 3,000 miles away with 3,000 dictators 1 mile away.

It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.--Benjamin Franklin

No man's life, liberty or fortune is safe
    while our legislature is in session
    .--Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by lx43 View Post
    I wish there was a way we could get a lot of media attention for this purge.
    there is blog coverage, Breibart news, Michele Malkin, etc, we are stirring it up on twitter and add media twitter accounts. We are having a twitter bomb on Tues at 9 pm EST which will help. Media does monitor twitter. The NY Times has covered it, Politico has.... and we aren't going away on this.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    there is blog coverage, Breibart news, Michele Malkin, etc, we are stirring it up on twitter and add media twitter accounts. We are having a twitter bomb on Tues at 9 pm EST which will help. Media does monitor twitter. The NY Times has covered it, Politico has.... and we aren't going away on this.
    Tues - as in next week?

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Tues - as in next week?
    Yes. Friday is a news sink. I suggested Monday, but people sent marketing data suggesting Tues is a more active twitter day - go figure. So more people was more important to me than which day.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    Yes. Friday is a news sink. I suggested Monday, but people sent marketing data suggesting Tues is a more active twitter day - go figure. So more people was more important to me than which day.
    I defer to the experts. I'm a bit worried that the world will have moved on to another crisis by then though. But hey - I'm in.

What message does leadership’s heavy-handedness send? It says that independent thinking won’t be tolerated, not even 5% of the time.
    This is pretty much why the GOP has lasted as long as it has. When push comes to shove they are a machine.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I defer to the experts. I'm a bit worried that the world will have moved on to another crisis by then though. But hey - I'm in.
    I thought that, but a bunch are trying to gin up enough votes (16) to deny Boehner the leadership, and that will have some legs.

I wish Boehner had as much spine standing up to Obama as he does when he is bitch-slapping freshman representatives down.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates