Thread: Want Economic Growth? Study Says To Build Bridges

Want Economic Growth? Study Says To Build Bridges

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Actually it's saying to repair old bridges. That may help the economy if a bridge was to fail and led to economic inactivity.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

hmm...

A new paper from the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco (FRBSF), goes into detail on the economic benefits of infrastructure construction and repair.

... snip...

What they found was that within the first year of any infrastructure project, a solid 10% GDP growth grew out of that project.
    wow, a FRB did a study that just happens to say that more spending = massive growth. color me surprised

so it has been more than 1 year since they spent all of the money on roads, where is all the GDP?

ok, the author loses all credibility with this statement

If one seeks a conservative viewpoint, it is hard to find one more conservative than the Federal Reserve. It remains one of the dullest, most conservative departments of government imaginable,
    bold mine
    Last edited by TonySutton; 12-04-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

FTA:
    Of course, the Republicans in congress don’t care about this. They are fighting to make huge cuts to infrastructural improvements,
    When the hell was the last time the Republicans fought to make any real cuts in anything whatsoever - let alone "huge" ones? And it concludes with this scintillating little gem:

If one seeks a conservative viewpoint, it is hard to find one more conservative than the Federal Reserve. It remains one of the dullest, most conservative departments of government imaginable, making even the IRS look like party animals by comparison. When the Federal Reserve is telling you that money should be spent on infrastructure, it is high time for the Republicans in Washington DC to listen. It was through gigantic projects like Hoover Dam and the Interstate Highway System that the United States grew into the world power it is today. A similar program today could restore us, and it is Republican Obstructionism which is holding back the economy. If they do not change their tune, they will be decimated in 2014.
    So ... some pro-stimulus partisan hack is impressed by the fact the the Federal Reserve (the engine that makes "stimulus" possible) has put out a "study" which concludes that stimulus is a wonderful idea. Gee, imagine that.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 12-04-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ

Real, sustainable economic growth comes from the accumulation of capital and the resulting increases in productivity. Government is the enemy of capital accumulation.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xar View Post
    Bill O'Reilly?

EDIT: Read the article. What say I? Partisan trash that promotes spending money we don't have. I'm predisposed to paving the earth but increasingly skeptical that coercive organizations can do this efficiently.
    Last edited by The Free Hornet; 12-04-2012 at 04:58 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    building infrastructure in so much that it facilitates the economy, is good. building a bridge that services no one is no different than paying people to dig ditches then fill them back up again.

Investment in infrastructure can affect growth positively. But it can do that in boom and it bust situations. If an investment has an expected positive return, you invest. If not - don't invest. It's not true that investing in otherwise unprofitable infrastructure is a wise thing to do during recessions. Recessions are exactly the reallocation of badly allocated capital resources. You won't solve that problem by allocating even more resources to the wrong places.

Were the people that used to have jobs.......having trouble getting to work?
    If suddenly every road and bridge was perfect, would that have made a difference?

Y = C + I + G + NE

They think increasing G will increase Y. We all bow down to GDP....
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Bridges only help if there's a reason to cross them.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Real, sustainable economic growth comes from the accumulation of capital and the resulting increases in productivity. Government is the enemy of capital accumulation.
    This.
    "It's probably the biggest hoax since Big Foot!" - Mitt Romney 1-16-2012 SC Debate

Well , for 3 million per year salary and matls , I will be willing to detonate one bridge per week. This should help immensely ( not ) , I can take 2 weeks vac and do one in each state.Tell the Fed to pm me when I should start, I need to put in some FMLA papers at my job , lol.What a bunch of douchebags.