Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3-D printed gun fires 6 shots — then falls apart

3-D printed gun fires 6 shots — then falls apart

The gun, with broken buffer ring exposed.

The idea of using a 3-D printer to create a gun is controversial and interesting, but it seems to still be a ways off from equaling the quality of machined parts. A gun with a major part printed that way failed after just six shots when some enthusiasts decided to give the tech a try.

Creating a printable gun is the project of Defense Distributed, which is working on what it calls the WikiWeapon. But the effort isn't far enough along to create a working firearm, so Defense Distributed used a design created by another printed-gun creator who goes by the name HaveBlue.

HaveBlue claimed in July to have fired his printed gun hundreds of times, which doesn't seem impossible given the quality of the printing. The part printed by the group is called the lower receiver, which is where a round is received from the magazine. Pictures show it to be very well made, and it appears to fit exactly to the other parts in the gun kit they used.

But the pressure of the recoil appears to have been too much for the "buffer ring," which separates the stock from the upper receiver. After firing just six shots, the gun split in two. It's a serious setback, especially considering they were firing a lower-caliber cartridge than the gun would normally shoot.

The legality of all this is unknown, not to say in dispute. It is legal to create your own firearms, but not to distribute them — and in the case of printed guns there's a bit of both going on. The ATF is looking at the subject, but for now it's all something of a grey area.

The technical aspects of the part, the failure, and the team's plans to improve it can be found at Defense Distributed's blog. You can watch the video of the test below.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/fu...part-1C7404226
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ah well. Back to the drawing board. I'd try either to make a Castleman air rifle, a rocket bullet gun or go CNC and make the thing out of metal.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

There are different types and quality of 3D printing. There is no mention of what was used. You can even 3D print metal now.

I'm pretty sure there are lots of traditionally made machined steel prototypes that break after 6 rounds.
    This doesn't sound like the gigantic setback the article makes it out to be.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    I'm pretty sure there are lots of traditionally made machined steel prototypes that break after 6 rounds.
    This doesn't sound like the gigantic setback the article makes it out to be.
    True:

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Redesign.
    Rather than copy the AR lower,, Redesign the lower. Make the Buffer housing integrated as a one piece unit.

Design a new lower that mounts the upper in the same manner.

Not a bad idea for mass production. I prefer to like simpler.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

That's what happens when you use crappy plastic instead of the carbon resin polymer that Glock uses.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

6 shots? Intruder has 6 holes in him? Gives me time to print up a new gun.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    6 shots? Intruder has 6 holes in him? Gives me time to print up a new gun.
    Guess all you need to do is buy enough time to keep printing

Guess all you need to do is buy enough time to keep printing
    I'm gonna wire a computer and 3D printer up to my alarm system. When an intruder triggers the alarm, a queue of 5 guns starts printing.

On a more serious note, I really hope this all gains more traction so that reliable, printable firearms become readily and cheaply available.

Seriously, though, the very fact that you can print a gun and actually fire it is a game-changer.

I bet legislation has already been drafted...

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    That's what happens when you use crappy plastic instead of the carbon resin polymer that Glock uses.
    For the grip, and the slide, not for the points that actually handle discharge pressure.
    For the Republic! For the Cause!
    The Truth About Central Banking and Business Cycles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxIPPMR3fI#t=186

I would be scared $#@!less about test firing a 3-d printed gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Athan View Post
    For the grip, and the slide, not for the points that actually handle discharge pressure.
    I don't quite understand what you're trying to say... are you saying that it's because the points that are bearing the brunt on this printed gun are plastic? If so, we are in agreement. Slides and slide assemblies are always metal. As for grips, they can be anything. Frames can be metal or carbon resin polymer (a bit stronger than cheap plastic lol).
    Last edited by AFPVet; 12-04-2012 at 03:56 PM.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    it only has to work for one shot to make the money worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    That looks like a five-seven upper.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by sluggo View Post
    I would be scared $#@!less about test firing a 3-d printed gun.
    Why? You put it into a machine rest, set up a remote triggering device, stand back and have at it. No need to be nervous.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Ah well. Back to the drawing board. I'd try either to make a Castleman air rifle, a rocket bullet gun or go CNC and make the thing out of metal.
    CNC = large capital equipment. CNC = slow process. Sort of defeats the ideas behind 3D printing.

Besides, even a 5-axis machining center might not be able to do the entire job. BRO makes a solid CNC machined lower. They are $$. Even those have the mag wells broached on a separate machine. In terms of the main reasons for doing 3d printing, printing > CNC.

This might be the solution, ultrasonic 3D manufacturing (with metal):

This next one has sound, so you might want to turn down your volume:

Quote Originally Posted by VIDEODROME View Post
    can I print money?
    Of course, just don't get caught the government hates competition...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Of course, just don't get caught the government hates competition...
    Yes indeed. Violent individuals hate any competition. They prefer the outcomes fall in their favor all the time and see no issue with using violence to ensure it. This is why these individuals flock to the idea of government: they can violently crush any others who challenge their beliefs and positions of power no matter how ignorant they may be.

Government is the act of hurting others. It is the ignorant who cling to violence.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tpoints View Post
    it only has to work for one shot to make the money worth it.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannolis"

If they're banning large cap mags, maybe that's the what needs to be tested.

To do this right, the properties of the material need to be taken into account and overstressed areas beefed up.

I wonder too if reinforcement could be embedded in the deposition material if the printer head could work around the obstacle. This would probably require another generation of printers that would take into account such obstacles. One example would be with magazines: metal feed lips could be embedded, for prolonged life.
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    To do this right, the properties of the material need to be taken into account and overstressed areas beefed up.

I wonder too if reinforcement could be embedded in the deposition material if the printer head could work around the obstacle. This would probably require another generation of printers that would take into account such obstacles. One example would be with magazines: metal feed lips could be embedded, for prolonged life.
    That is pretty good thinking.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    If they're banning large cap mags, maybe that's the what needs to be tested.
    Already done

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...3d-printed-gun

And being noticed

http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets...ines-20130118/

Congressman Steve Israel (D-NY) is taking the issue of gun-related legislation to the 21st century, by calling for a ban on 3D-printed magazines. No, not the Us Weekly kind — the kind that you attach to a firearm, such as a partially 3D-printed AR rifle.
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

That is an AR 57 upper.

I am wondering if they used a heavy buffer that is NECESSARY to slow the bolt. The 57 buffer is much heavier than one that comes with your average .223.

This may have had nothing to do with the printing, but rather a lack of understanding of the AR 57.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 01-18-2013 at 11:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast