Thread: Three hurt at gunshow

Three hurt at gunshow

Accidental discharge at NC gun show wounds 2

Come on, people. Trigger discipline.

http://news.msn.com/us/2-hurt-in-acc...at-nc-gun-show

A 12-gauge shotgun accidentally discharged at a North Carolina gun show when its owner unzipped its case for a law enforcement check. Two people were injured.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 01-19-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: changed title
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post

Why are they carrying cocked and locked in a case..? Why was it even loaded?
    Too much fail.
    shooting yourself in the foot is one thing,,with it's own reward.
    Shooting someone else,, needs a good reason.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    Why are they carrying cocked and locked in a case..? Why was it even loaded?
    Too much fail.
    shooting yourself in the foot is one thing,,with it's own reward.
    Shooting someone else,, needs a good reason.
    Why was it being "Inspected"?

Much, much fail.

Look here people, the forces of tyranny are looking each day with a fine tooth comb for anti-gun stories.

Stop a minute and conduct a "JSA" (Job Safety Analysis) before shooting, storing, cleaning or transporting your weapons.

1. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

This is the primary rule of gun safety. A "safe direction" means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

2. Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

When holding a gun, people have a natural tendency to place their finger on the trigger. Don't do it! Rest your finger on the trigger guard or along the side of the gun. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.

3. Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

Whenever you pick up a gun, immediately open the action and look into the chamber(s) which should be clear of ammunition. (If the gun has a magazine, remove it before opening the action and make sure it is empty.) If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does.

(Yes, yes, yes I know. Number 3 obviously would not apply to a carry sidearm or defensive weapon. That's why you always follow 1 and 2. - AF)

Don't give the $#@!ers the satisfaction of being the next poster child for the enemies of freedom.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 01-19-2013 at 04:47 PM.

I'm not a fan of shotguns so take my next question with that in mind.

Do shotguns not have safety's? I mean its one thing to have a weapon loaded in a freaking carrying case but to have it ready to fire?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger29860 View Post
    I'm not a fan of shotguns so take my next question with that in mind.

Do shotguns not have safety's? I mean its one thing to have a weapon loaded in a freaking carrying case but to have it ready to fire?
    Yes, shotguns have safeties.
    Last edited by Danke; 01-19-2013 at 05:12 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I changed the title since thread titles are on google as titles and the more active the thread, the nearer the top of a google search it would be.

Speaking of media trying to blare out every incident as if there were an increase instead of them ignoring other news in favor of this, we add to that when we create threads with titles they would like.

Just saying...
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

Three hurt at gunshow

http://news.yahoo.com/three-hurt-fir...234451916.html

(Reuters) - Three people including a retired sheriff's deputy were wounded on Saturday at a gun show in North Carolina when a 12-gauge shotgun accidentally discharged as its owner was taking it out of its case, state officials said.

The incident comes as the country debates gun control and the rights of gun owners after a man armed with an assault rifle killed 20 first graders and six adults last month at an elementary school in Connecticut - the deadliest of a string of U.S. shooting sprees last year.

Saturday's shooting occurred when Gary Lynn Wilson, 36, of Wilmington, North Carolina, approached the entrance of the Dixie Gun and Knife Show in Raleigh to have his personal firearm inspected.

The shotgun fired as he removed it from its case, according to a statement by the North Carolina Department of Agriculture, a host of the gun show.

Two patrons of the gun show were injured - a 50-year-old man and a 54-year-old woman - as was a 54-year-old retired Wake County Sheriff's deputy who was working at the show. None of the injuries were life-threatening, the statement said.

"They all were struck by birdshot from the gun," said Agriculture Department spokesman Brian Long.

The incident coincided with a day of rallies across the country by gun rights advocates who say the right to own firearms is under attack from President Barack Obama's proposals to reduce gun violence.

On Sunday, gun control advocates plan events at houses of worship to demand more gun regulation.

The North Carolina gun show will go ahead as planned on Sunday, but no private gun sales will be allowed and personal guns will not be allowed on the property.

That's highly unusual. Dixie Gun & Knife usually straps the chamber of any firearm that comes in. Always does, as I recall. Without exception.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Accidental discharge at NC gun show wounds 2

Gun Control means using both hands. That is the only type of Gun Control I support.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

See, see! This is why!

BAN GUNSHOWS ...'cause there's a scary-big chance everyone at the gunshow will draw and return fire without regard to human life or personal liability because there are so many guns concentrated in one area.

The sky almost fell.

no, seriously, you CAN'T bring a weapon into Dixie Gun and Knife without a fluorescent orange zip tie restraining the bolt.

I have been there many times. I go there all the time. SOmething went very wrong here.

Bunch of Bleeding heart liberals on my facebook are already posting about this.

"And now the NRA is gonna say if only someone was armed this wouldnt of happened...give me a break...BAN GUNS"

ugh

I was going to go to this - but glad I didn't - not because of the accidental shooting but the long lines. Absolutely crazy how many people are looking for guns right now.

Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    If I got the story right, he was uncasing it to get the zip tie added to restrain the bolt.

Much, much fail.

Look here people, the forces of tyranny are looking each day with a fine tooth comb for anti-gun stories.

Stop a minute and conduct a "JSA" (Job Safety Analysis) before shooting, storing, cleaning or transporting your weapons.

4. Never case a loaded gun.
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    no, seriously, you CAN'T bring a weapon into Dixie Gun and Knife without a fluorescent orange zip tie restraining the bolt.
    I have been there many times. I go there all the time. SOmething went very wrong here.
    No it makes sense If I'm understanding you correctly. He was probably removing the gun for that very purpose: so they could put the ziptie on it. ie: for "inspection"

My friend who was there CLAIMS it was the cops fault. Still, why was it loaded?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonhowe View Post
    My friend who was there CLAIMS it was the cops fault. Still, why was it loaded?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Much, much fail.

This is the primary rule of gun safety. A "safe direction" means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

When holding a gun, people have a natural tendency to place their finger on the trigger. Don't do it! Rest your finger on the trigger guard or along the side of the gun. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.

Whenever you pick up a gun, immediately open the action and look into the chamber(s) which should be clear of ammunition. (If the gun has a magazine, remove it before opening the action and make sure it is empty.) If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does.

(Yes, yes, yes I know. Number 3 obviously would not apply to a carry sidearm or defensive weapon. That's why you always follow 1 and 2. - AF)

Don't give the $#@!ers the satisfaction of being the next poster child for the enemies of freedom.
    With over 300 million firearms in the country there are going to be accidents. Its amazing that really there are so few. Also in that number there are going to be new gun owners that buy a gun from a dealer that does not know what a safety is. Irresponsible people make the rest look bad.

The best way to avoid this is getting as many people trained in firearm safety that have not had any. Earn a certificate on completion of a firearms course from the NRA, GOA or local gun club like the Red Cross does with CPR and have dealers offer discounts on ammo and equipment as an incentive. All voluntary of course.
    USE THIS SITE TO LINK ARTICLES FROM OLIGARCH MEDIA:http://archive.is/ STARVE THE BEAST.
    More Government = Less Freedom
    Communism never disappeared it only changed its name to Social Democrat
    Emotion and Logic mix like oil and water

You know, thats what i was thinking. I have never been to the Dixie Gun and Knife show but I have been to many gun shows and all of them had this rule. Whats up with this shotgun dude. Its like he was trying to F up.
    Terminus tela viaticus!

How many stories are there? I heard it was a shotgun and two injured. Then three injured,,, and it was a handgun.

My first thought was a novice,, a new owner. But the stories seem to indicate that experienced people were involved.

Makes no sense,, I learned as a child. It was reinforced in High School ROTC.
    Our instructor would sometimes put a fired blank cartridge in a random rifle,, Which were supposed to be inspected when drawn from the Arms Room.

Occasionally a brass would hit the floor during formation ("Inspection Arms"),, but that was rare.
    Most of us caught it at the arms room.

I have a hard time believing the story as reported,, though stupid people certainly exist.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

That's highly unusual. Dixie Gun & Knife usually straps the chamber of any firearm that comes in. Always does, as I recall. Without exception.
    it was before the inspection and lock. The show is private event and they can require inspection if they want to. Stupid people do stupid things.....just hope I don't get caught up in the effect.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito