Thread: Otto Zehm beating death: Cop sentenced to 4 years 3 months.

Otto Zehm beating death: Cop sentenced to 4 years 3 months.

All he wanted was a snickers bar.....

SPOKANE, Wash. -- A police officer was sentenced Thursday to more than four years in prison for using excessive force against a mentally disabled janitor who died after being erroneously suspected of stealing money from an ATM.

Officer Karl F. Thompson Jr., 65, was sentenced by U.S. District Court Judge Fred Van Sickle to four years and three months for his role in the 2006 death of Otto Zehm.

Van Sickle said he hoped the sentence would begin to bring closure to Zehm's family and to the Spokane community, which has been at odds with the police department as a result of this case and others.

"This had a significant impact on the community and how it viewed its police department," Van Sickle said.

Van Sickle also ordered that Thompson be taken into custody immediately, over the objections of defense lawyers, who wanted him to remain free while the verdict is appealed.

Thompson was convicted last year by a federal jury of violating Zehm's civil rights by using excessive force and then lying to investigators in the case.

Six years ago, Zehm was beaten and stunned by Thompson in a convenience store. He was hog-tied and sat on by other officers until he passed out. The 36-year-old died two days later without regaining consciousness.

Zehm had committed no crime.

Defense attorney Carl Oreskovich argued for a sentence of zero to 16 months, saying there was no evidence presented that the actions of Thompson led directly to Zehm's death.

Thompson addressed the court, apologizing to Zehm's mother. "I did not intend to harm Mr. Zehm that night, and did not act in malice," he said. "I have dedicated my life to protection of the public."

Thompson is a Vietnam veteran and a decorated 40-year veteran of law enforcement in Los Angeles, northern Idaho and Spokane, Oreskovich said. "This man before you is not a villain," Oreskovich told the judge.

But federal prosecutors noted that Thompson attacked Zehm without warning, and struck him repeatedly with a 30-inch baton and also stunned him.

"There were seven baton strikes in less than eight seconds," said Tim Durkin, an assistant U.S. attorney. "There is compelling medical evidence in this case that Mr. Zehm sustained serious bodily injury."

Prosecutors sought a sentence of nine to 11 years because of the seriousness of the attack on Zehm, and its impact on the community.

"When officers abuse their power and lie to cover it up, it fundamentally undermines" their position of trust in the community, said Victor Boutros, a Justice Department attorney who helped prosecute the case.

On March 18, 2006, police received a report that a man matching Zehm's description might have stolen money from people at an ATM. Surveillance video showed that Thompson found Zehm inside a convenience store and immediately struck him repeatedly with a baton and shocked him with a stun gun.

Other officers arrived and hogtied Zehm, put a rubber mask over his mouth, and sat on him. It was later determined that he had not committed any crime.

His last words were: "All I wanted was a Snickers bar," according to trial testimony.

Anger boiled in the community over the death, but the Spokane County prosecutor's office declined to bring charges against any officers. Amid demands for justice, federal prosecutors eventually charged Thompson with violating Zehm's civil rights through use of excessive force and then lying to investigators.

Prosecutors also alleged the case involved an extensive cover-up by police. That investigation is ongoing.

Boutros said it was important to remember that Zehm, a mentally ill janitor, had committed no crime.

"He was just going in as he always did to buy his soda and his candy," Boutros said. Thompson's actions warranted prison time, he said.

"A badge cannot equate to a free pass," Boutros said

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...comm_ref=false
    Last edited by phill4paul; 12-03-2012 at 06:36 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Damn...only 4 years for murder? WTF

Vlad..............Calling Vlad..........

I sincerely hope this piece of $#@! doesn't make it for a week before some lifer disembowels him...

4 $#@!ing years! Shame on you judge!

Maybe after his 9th murder he'll get life in prison. Maybe!
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Quote Originally Posted by aGameOfThrones View Post
    Maybe after his 9th murder he'll get life in prison. Maybe!
    +rep for reference to the 9th DUI life sentence thread http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...on-for-9th-DWI

Funny thing is if this scum bag cop beat 9 janitors to death and received this sentence for each he'd only be in for 38 years, 3 months.

JUST-US

twitter meme?

#just-us #ottozehm #justus #policebrutality
    Last edited by presence; 12-03-2012 at 10:45 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Wow-if I would've known that all I'd get is 4 years for beating someone to death when I was LE, maybe I should've taken that opportunity to "take care" of some of the more $#@! types I encountered on the water, or the people I thought were doing something wrong. j/k

This isn't the first time this $#@! has done this, 40 year veteran....

JUST US has been served. Bet he only does two years for good behavior, and gets to come home on the weekends, isolated from general population, etc. This is America, where the police can murder you in front of a crowd, and no one does a damn thing about it. If your lucky, someone will video it and post it to YouTube.
    EX-USCG

What is the difference between a hero and a cop? A hero will not hesitate to risk his life to protect your safety, a cop will not hesitate to risk your life to protect his safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Authoritarian leftists. Political prisoners. Gulags. Where are we again?

4 #$%@ing years?
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

"A badge cannot equate to a free pass," Boutros said
    But, it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    Do you think it's a coincidence that the most cherished standard of the Ron Paul campaign was a sign highlighting the word "love" inside the word "revolution"? A revolution not based on love is a revolution doomed to failure. So, at the risk of sounding corny, I just wanted to let you know that, wherever you stand on any of these hot-button issues, and even if we might have exchanged bitter words or harsh sentiments in the past, I love each and every one of you - no exceptions!

"When goods do not cross borders, soldiers will." Frederic Bastiat

Peace.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    All he wanted was a Snickers bar.

4 years for murder. 80 years for growing harmless plants. Justice has been served!
    Ron Paul let the cat out of the bag.

***Random Troll Analysis***Try Not to Engage With Trolls***
    itshappening: Incredibly naive with a hint of Alex Jonestown.
    compromise: Hilarious name states what it wants.
    AuH20: Self-righteous & insightful neocon. Smarter than you. Armed with a thesaurus.

***Honorable Mentions***
    Tpoints, Traditional Conservative, FreedomFanatic, TywinLannister, FreeHampshire, Giuliani was there on 911,
    RandRevolution

Geez, and I was going to say I was pleased to see he got nailed for four years.

Usually, they just skate.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    +rep for reference to the 9th DUI life sentence thread http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...on-for-9th-DWI

Funny thing is if this scum bag cop beat 9 janitors to death and received this sentence for each he'd only be in for 38 years, 3 months.

JUST-US

twitter meme?

Rep+

It's sad when even forum members (see 9th DWI thread) don't get this injustice system.
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post

JUST-US

twitter meme?

Waiting on the Lifers from that thread to come here.
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

Quote Originally Posted by aGameOfThrones View Post
    Waiting on the Lifers from that thread to come here.
    Don't count on it.

Update:

U.S. Supreme Court declines to hear ex-police officer’s appeal of Zehm case conviction

Former Spokane police Officer Karl Thompson Jr.’s legal battle to overturn his conviction in the 2006 death of Otto Zehm ended at the U.S. Supreme Court on Monday.

The nation’s highest court declined to hear Thompson’s appeal, which argued that the Yakima jury that convicted him of civil rights violations heard evidence that legally should have been withheld. That evidence concerned the crime Thompson suspected Zehm of committing before the fatal encounter.

The decision ends a two-year appeals process for Thompson, who is scheduled to remain in a low-security facility in Safford, Arizona, until July 2016. He is serving a four-year sentence after the Yakima jury found him guilty in 2011 of using excessive force and attempting to conceal evidence in Zehm’s death.

Thompson’s attorney, Carl Oreskovich, said he was not surprised by Monday’s decision, given the large volume of requests the nation’s highest court receives. Of the 10,000 cases the court annually is asked to review, only 75 or 80 are heard. Oreskovich also said he had not yet discussed plans for further litigation with his client.

“It disappoints me, too,” Oreskovich said. “I think the system failed.”

Taxpayers have funded Thompson’s defense, including his appeals. Oreskovich, who was appointed to the case, said he wasn’t sure how much public money had been spent on Thompson’s behalf.

Thompson initially was cleared of wrongdoing by Spokane County prosecutors in his confrontation with Zehm, which took place in a Zip Trip convenience store in north Spokane on March 18, 2006. Witnesses reported seeing Thompson strike the 36-year-old janitor multiple times with a baton, shoot him with a stun gun and hog-tie him after Thompson responded to a theft report that turned out to be false. Zehm died a few days later.

But the FBI took up the case and scrutinized much of the evidence, including convenience store video that became a key issue at trial. The video, received through a public records request by The Spokesman-Review, appeared to contradict Thompson’s initial statement that Zehm threatened the officer with a Pepsi bottle.

Mike Ormsby, U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Washington, credited the work of trial attorneys in putting together the case against Thompson.

“The process has taken a long time, but in the end, the interests of justice were served,” Ormsby said Tuesday.

The Supreme Court did not provide reasoning for its decision not to hear the appeal, which is standard practice for the court. The justices usually take up cases where issues of law are in conflict among judicial jurisdictions around the country, which was not the case in Thompson’s argument.

Oreskovich filed his appeal to the Supreme Court in October, four months after the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rejected Thompson’s request for another trial. The court’s decision comes the same week as the Department of Justice and Spokane Police Department are set to reveal the recommendations of a federal audit of the department, prompted in part by Zehm’s death.
    http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...ear-ex-police/

Last words were: "All I wanted was a Snickers bar."

I don't know where 'Clip 2' went.
    “The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.” --George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    In terms of a full spectrum candidate, Rand is leaps and bounds above Trump. I'm not disputing that.
    Who else in public life has called for a pre-emptive strike on North Korea?--Donald Trump

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Revenge is not justice.

If it's a small revenge or a large revenge, it's still not justice.

And prison is nothing more than revenge.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

At the very least he should have received 4-years for the obstruction of justice charge, another 2 for conspiracy, and then whatever they found just for committing manslaughter, and of course permanent injunction against working in law enforcement in any capacity.

What a complete joke, I mean why even bother, really? Here we have another instanc eof Oscar Grant.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding one’s self in the ranks of the insane.” — Marcus Aurelius

They’re not buying it. CNN, you dumb bastards!” — President Trump 2020

Consilio et Animis de Oppresso Liber

Isn't this the case where his "brothers" packed the court room and stood and saluted him after he was convicted ?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanTX View Post
    Isn't this the case where his "brothers" packed the court room and stood and saluted him after he was convicted ?
    Yep, the "filthy-fifty."

But the FBI took up the case and scrutinized much of the evidence, including convenience store video that became a key issue at trial. The video, received through a public records request by The Spokesman-Review, appeared to contradict Thompson’s initial statement that Zehm threatened the officer with a Pepsi bottle.

Type 2 diabetes is no joke .
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus