Thread: North Korean leader Kim Jong Un named 2012's "Sexiest Man Alive".

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un named 2012's "Sexiest Man Alive".

In a hilarious if increasingly common example of a real newspaper taking a satirical newspaper seriously, the People's Daily—the website for the Communist Party of China's newspaper—published a story on Tuesday congratulating North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on being named 2012's "Sexiest Man Alive" by the Onion.

"U.S. website The Onion has named North Korean supreme leader Kim Jong Un as the 'Sexiest Man Alive' for the year 2012," the story announces before quoting the Onion's sarcastic write-up:

"With his devastatingly handsome, round face, his boyish charm, and his strong, sturdy frame, this Pyongyang-bred heartthrob is every woman's dream come true. Blessed with an air of power that masks an unmistakable cute, cuddly side, Kim made this newspaper's editorial board swoon with his impeccable fashion sense, chic short hairstyle, and, of course, that famous smile," it said.

"He has that rare ability to somehow be completely adorable and completely macho at the same time," said Marissa Blake-Zweiber, editor of the Onion Style and Entertainment.

The accompanying 55-page slideshow includes images of Kim in varying degrees of sexiness—riding a horse, posing with military leaders, aiming a rifle, riding a horse and, uh, riding a horse.

Of course, this isn't the first time the Onion's sarcasm has been lost in translation.

In 2002, the Beijing Evening News picked up an Onion story asserting the U.S. Congress would leave Washington "unless a new Capitol is built."

In September 2011, Capitol Police in Washington were forced to investigate after the Onion's Twitter feed teased a satirical article—"Congress Takes Group of Schoolchildren Hostage"—with a series of tweets proclaiming breaking news of a hostage situation inside the Capitol building.

A month later, the Onion caused real confusion when it published a satirical story—"Study Finds Every Style of Parenting Produces Disturbed, Miserable Adults"—that cited the California Parenting Institute in its findings.

The real institute was soon deluged with emails and phone calls from concerned residents.

And in September, Iranian news agency Fars plagiarized an Onion story that claimed an "overwhelming majority of rural white Americans" would prefer Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad over President Barack Obama.
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...144736602.html
    "IF GOD DIDN'T WANT TO HELP AMERICA, THEN WE WOULD HAVE Hillary Clinton"!!
    "let them search you,touch you,violate your Rights,just don't be a dick!"~ cdc482
    "For Wales. Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?"
    All my life I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... Never again!~Erik Lehnsherr
    There's nothing wrong with stopping people randomly, especially near bars, restaurants etc.~Velho

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Pyongyang Style!

The sad thing is that someone might actually lose their head over this.

I like Kim Jong Un.. he likes to read manga and play starcraft. He is somewhat human. Somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mmfmj View Post
    I like Kim Jong Un.. he likes to read manga and play starcraft. He is somewhat human. Somewhat.
    Somebody, somewhere, played Starcraft with the dictator of North Korea.

I wonder who won.

The Onion going world-famous!!!!

"America's The World's Finest News Source"
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Kim Jong Un reminds me of the EarthBound villian, Porky Minch.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Grey View Post
    Somebody, somewhere, played Starcraft with the dictator of North Korea.

I wonder who won.
    That's a game you would definitely want to throw...

Fun fact: In Korea, if you want to marry a girl, you first have to beat her father in Starcraft.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.