Thread: Shubert: Wayne King meddled in NC GOP’s state auditor primary

Shubert: Wayne King meddled in NC GOP’s state auditor primary

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Shubert's consistency

Quote Originally Posted by slacker921 View Post
    Too bad I didn't see this earlier. Last year I posted that Shubert's candidacy for state auditor should have been re-evaluated and scrutinized, but I retracted it after a conference call with her and the former mayor of Indian Trail. At first she thought I was a political hack in her hometown who was trying to ruin her chances. But the truth was that I, and a current candidate for town council, were investigating claims of corruption within town hall, specifically, the allegations of the embezzlement $400,000 by a former town manager and the subsequent cover-up by succeeding councils.

As interim town manager, Shubert had prepared and presented a report to the 2006 council with the conclusion that there were incongruities with the books.

When I asked her about this, she confirmed that she believed that embezzlement had taken place, but that once she presented her report, then her obligations stopped there. Her statement corroborated the testimonies of three former council members who believed that the embezzlement occurred. She also confirmed that there was indeed a continuing cover-up because of the threat of a personal lawsuit to any council member who tried to uncover the truth of the matter, even after the death of the former town manager who issue the threat.

Shubert went on to say that she wanted me to retract my comments about her having information that could expose the corruption because she was afraid for her life. She relayed that the powers-that-be played for keeps, that she carried a sidearm for protection, and that it would be wise for me to do the same. I spoke with a current councilman, and the aforementioned council candidate, who both were likewise instructed by Shubert to do the same. She expressed threats and actions that were taken against her and that she felt her life was in danger. Unsurprisingly, two of the former council members, who first opined that there was corruption curled up and played possum, even joining the supposed cover-up for fear of retribution. The third, though originally cowed under the pressure later admitted and repented of not having the boldness to come forward; yet pressed to make amends for that mistake would not go on record to the facts admitted. Shubert likewise said that she refused to make any public professions unless it was in court under oath.

Yet this same person, who was afraid to provide me the documents she had prepared (she told me she didn't keep any copies and said I should go to town hall for them, the same town hall she said was covering it up), was running for the state auditor, a position that would require a lot more, if not the same, integrity to be uncompromising under pressure.