Thread: Student debt bubble popping

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Student debt bubble popping

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-1...nquency-rate-g

Bubblelicious.

2013 will be the year of the uber pop.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe finally they'll stop making such loans.

Not a chance.

Hyperinflation/massive currency devaluation is baked into the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Tpoints View Post
    Maybe finally they'll stop making such loans.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
    Not a chance.

Hyperinflation/massive currency devaluation is baked into the cake.
    that's what they said 4 years ago.

It was true then and it is true now.

1) Widespread systemic default (really think TPTB will end their own financial revenue streams?) or 2) Keep the ponzi going as long as possible to transfer all/most assets into a few hands and watch the masses scrap for the rest as their beloved currency falls apart.

Policy from government all around the world and their Central Banks indicates that it is all hands on deck to inflate, inflate, inflate and trigger a currency collapse to usher in the next stage of the New World (fiat bank) Order.

There are many a useful idiot (politicians/media types) who believe this is not the game. Then, there are the master pushers. They are flowing gold into their coffers by the ton pushing policy to keep the game going as long as possible - with a currency shock built into the game.

How will that shock come about? I'm not sure. My bet? A massive global (mostly the West) bank holiday (weeks) and then the roll out of a large(r) scale (and devalued) currency.

Governments will kill their Keynesian beliefs by over-Keynesianing the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tpoints View Post
    that's what they said 4 years ago.

It was true then and it is true now.

1) Widespread systemic default (really think TPTB will end their own financial revenue streams?) or 2) Keep the ponzi going as long as possible to transfer all/most assets into a few hands and watch the masses scrap for the rest as their beloved currency falls apart.

Policy from government all around the world and their Central Banks indicates that it is all hands on deck to inflate, inflate, inflate and trigger a currency collapse to usher in the next stage of the New World (fiat bank) Order.

There are many a useful idiot (politicians/media types) who believe this is not the game. Then, there are the master pushers. They are flowing gold into their coffers by the ton pushing policy to keep the game going as long as possible - with a currency shock built into the game.

How will that shock come about? I'm not sure. My bet? A massive global (mostly the West) bank holiday (weeks) and then the roll out of a large(r) scale (and devalued) currency.

Governments will kill their Keynesian beliefs by over-Keynesianing the world.
    So how long before I can say "hyperinflation alarmists were wrong"? Isn't that a bit like saying "you'll eventually die, I can't tell you when, but I know you will"? I can't and won't live my life in constant fear of dying tomorrow if I don't have to, so why would I with my investments?

What's another trillion dollars?
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Is this good if I am about to enter college next year?
    NEBRASKA FOR RON PAUL

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Unless you are EXTREMELY precise in your line of future work (say, hellbent on being a General Practioner, MD), stay out. Go make some money and aquire skills and resources.

Do not go to University/College unless you really know what you want. If you do not know what you want, stay out (for now).

Quote Originally Posted by Drex View Post

Do not go to University/College unless you really know what you want. If you do not know what you want, stay out (for now).
    OR spend the first 2 years at an inexpensive community college, get your AA and transfer it to any 4year university after you figure what you want --if necessary.

Yes, this is a solid option as well. Especially if one works their way through.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    OR spend the first 2 years at an inexpensive community college, get your AA and transfer it to any 4year university after you figure what you want --if necessary.

Unless you are EXTREMELY precise in your line of future work (say, hellbent on being a General Practioner, MD), stay out. Go make some money and aquire skills and resources.

As someone who is attending his second year in college, I strongly urge you to follow Seraphim's advise. Strongly.

Graduate high school. Get a decent job (not talking $50k, but something to get you a little extra cash). Get together with some friends and see the country/world. Last thing you want is to waste a couple semesters studying stuff you don't care about, only to change your major and have to start all over again.

Unfortunately, and this was the case for me, pretty much all high schools pressure students to go to college after graduating. I imagine it's all part of the bubble.
    Rand Paul 2016

Most likely it won't make a difference. If it gets really bad, they will either have to continue making the loans and eat the losses by printing more money or they will possibly come to their senses and reduce the amount of loans. In the first case, prices will continue to rise, in the second case, college tuition will likely become more affordable.

Are you planning on getting loans to pay for your college?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I don't think so. Think housing collapse. A lot of "imaginary value" was wiped out, but the debts themselves weren't, and that didn't mean everyone immediately started selling at lower prices. Transfer that over to publicly subsidized Education industry. They already got their money, and won't be the ones who will be defaulted on. Like Greece, they'll be scared to death, but with their massive bureaucratic overhead, and an army of administrators and $175k per year tenured professors, they'll looking for strictly political solutions. They want their version of Obamacare established for Education, and NONE of their expectations will go away as a result of a collapse that they truly believe they should be immune to.

It's coming eventually. There will be value to be found in the guaranteed rubble-to-come, but that won't be next year. They're not going to "get real" and decrease prices until reality sets in, and they get truly hungry like everyone else -- forced, like in the old days, to appeal to real individuals for the value of their supplies, once the blind collective that gave them artificial valuation fails them.

So I have 100k in student debt what happens to me when this so called bubble collapses? Will my interest rates go down? lol

Quote Originally Posted by JacobSzumniak View Post
    So I have 100k in student debt what happens to me when this so called bubble collapses? Will my interest rates go down? lol
    It's more likely they'll allow the government to confiscate your property to settle your debt.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    IMO the government should bite the bullet on the debt.

It's more likely that the government will swoop in and buy up your inflated debt from the people you owe, which means the people who made those loans to you will get bailed out, and you will still be stuck with the debt.

That's what happened in the housing market in 08. Banks were able to sell off toxic assets to the government and people were still stuck with unmanageable mortgates. Of course, homeowners (well, not really 'owners) had the benefit (sort of) of being able to walk away from their homes.

Anyone who has student debt knows that there's no "walking away" from it.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 11-27-2012 at 07:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

I think the risk three fold:

1) There could be "degree" bubble - not necessarily an education bubble, so the value of the degree won't justify its cost. I.e., students get screwed. It's like having bought a house that is now underwater. Although one gets to pay it off with devalued dollars, that same person still lost a $#@!load of money.

2) After "1)", if the perceivied value of education drops, so might the tuition and legions of professors and administators could be laid off. That may not be a bad thing for the dead weight out there.

3) You suffer as we all do for unaffordable debt and all we might suffer in a currency collapse. lol?

But from just the student perspective, your attitude might be OK. Like Seraphim wrote, you need to make sure the degree is worth it (state-licensed doctor, bar-certified lawyer, professional engineer, gubblemint edumacator, et cetera).

Go to the cheapest university in the top 20 (or as close as you can get to it) for your particular study. If that is not an option, go to a community college for 2 years, 4.0, then transfer to the best possible school in your state for your major. If it comes between getting a 4.0 with college debt or having anything less and graduating debt free, choose the debt option. Don't work if it'll screw up your grades.

I wouldn't sweat student loan debt too much if you do the above.
    Last edited by Jordan; 11-27-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Same here, I'm not sure if I want to go now if its like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carsten2012b View Post
    Same here, I'm not sure if I want to go now if its like this.
    You almost have to. Unless you've the the entrepreneurial spirit, you won't be able to get many jobs. We already have a record number of college graduates working as wait staff in restaurants. Why should an employer hire a high school graduate when he can get a college grad for the same money?

I thought Obama was going to pay my student loans?
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Scariest Chart of the Quarter - Student Debt Bubble Pops 90 Day Delinquency Rates

"For if you [the rulers] suffer your people to be ill-educated, and their manners to be corrupted from their infancy, and then punish them for those crimes to which their first education disposed them, what else is to be concluded from this, but that you first make thieves [and outlaws] and then punish them."
    -Sir Thomas More (1478-1535), Utopia, Book 1

*Admirer, of Philosophy.*

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A student loan debt bubble pop means a severe contraction in the Big Government education cartel. Schools closing, teachers laid off and universities looking for GM style bailouts. Individuals won't be paying their loans, and the loaners of such recklessness won't be getting their money. Paging Ben Bernanke.

And that cascading effect begins with defaults on student loans and an inability to further finance so much debt. That time is upon us.

Quote Originally Posted by awake View Post
    A student loan debt bubble pop means a severe contraction in the Big Government education cartel. Schools closing, teachers laid off and universities looking for GM style bailouts. Individuals won't be paying their loans, and the loaners of such recklessness won't be getting their money. Paging Ben Bernanke.

LibForestPaul

Don't expect social security, don't expect to keep your 401k, don't expect to live better than your parents. Look to Russia, Argentina, Hungary, for the future of America. Graft, cronism, large lower class, and prepare accordingly. But don't expect Somalia or Cuba. If it goes that bad, than a 3rd world war is in order.

I just wish it was dischargeable in bankruptcy...i am fuGGed bAd- 'till i die

Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    I just wish it was dischargeable in bankruptcy...i am fuGGed bAd- 'till i die
    Maybe you'll find a sucker to marry you. My mom paid off the remainder of my dad's student loans. Yep, he was still paying back loans at age ~40. After getting a double major in math and chemistry, he spent almost his entire career doing what he learned in the army-electrician stuff. (and he couldn't keep a job for several years before that...) College is SUCH a scam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

thinking about the federal government paying the interest on these loans... every time these deferred or default payments recapitalize the previous years interest into the principle, it increases the tax payers bill.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast