Thread: Doing the math: what the FEDs 2% inflation goal and CPI fudging means for purchasing power

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ababba View Post
    This is your attempt to have it both ways. Either calculating price inflation is a worthwhile endeavor and we can discuss it, or you disagree and we can go our separate ways.
    I'm helping someone right now with a budget. She is in pretty deep $#@! right now, living on a very small fixed income (pension). She's been on it for almost twenty years, and lived quite comfortably for the first ten. The last ten have been like living in a Star Wars trash compactor scene, as she is being squeezed and nibbled to death on all sides. We're waxing all kinds of creative now, working on substitutions, augmentations, etc., and I have already calculated her price inflation. You know, the ones that affect only her, that no $#@!ing comfortably detached aggregate-thinker would even think to consider. I could feel just how real price inflation was (REGARDLESS OF ITS CAUSES) while grocery shopping with her last week--to the point where all I want to do is punch every price inflation obfuscationist in their daft little throats.

So waddya think...should I take a copy of the CPI and a mountain of other manipulated obfuscating bull$#@! and talk to her about why her "true inflation signals" are $#@!ed up, anomalous, in her imagination only, or somehow exceptional to some pointy-headed theoretical construct?

So yes, I do remember that the point of this thread was that the OP wanted to say inflation is understated and IS destroying (NOT $#@!ing "going to destroy") purchasing power of individuals. I do agree that there are ways of approximating it or getting a good sense of what it is. Why? Because I have felt it personally, firsthand, and have been $#@!ing living it by proxy through others, practically all my life. What I REJECT are all the reality-disconnected and convoluted ways that government and academics call piss on everyone's heads rain (and with straight faces, no less).

Every time I hear someone try to talk reality with those who are affected first, most, and most adversely by MONETARY INFLATION, I want to jump down their throats and rip everything that is daft and stupid out of them. If I could take them firsthand and show them firsthand--or better yet, live it firsthand--I picture them coming out like Lewis Winthorpe, Dan Aykroid's character in Trading Places, after spending a night in jail.

Starting at 00:45

"I mean, if this place is indicative of the state of correctional institutions in this country, they might as well let all the convicts out. It's far worse on the inside!"
    Last edited by Steven Douglas; 11-27-2012 at 07:40 PM.