Thread: Peter Schiff: Black Friday Not Healthy for the Economy | More People in Debt

Peter Schiff: Black Friday Not Healthy for the Economy | More People in Debt

----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Peter is right, as usual ...

Quote Originally Posted by itshappening View Post
    Peter is right, as usual ...
    He kinda lost me during the first minute into it when he mentioned that it was bad that we were buying things from other countries... kinda came off as a protectionist.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    He kinda lost me during the first minute into it when he mentioned that it was bad that we were buying things from other countries... kinda came off as a protectionist.
    He is saying consumption is not necessarily good for the economy, production and saving is. Peter laments the fact that the US is producing less as evidenced by the large trade deficits.

Schiff is a one horse pony. He's probably right on most stuff but he hasn't said anything in a long time. If you beleive what he has to say you'll listen and listen. If not you'll disagree and it will turn into a pissing match.

Has anyone noticed how much they have been pushing cyber-Monday in the media? It's ridiculous. Non-stop stories about how everyone needs to shop, and that bosses and businesses should make exceptions for this special day. "Let your employees spend all day shopping on the computer, it will be great for the economy!"

Debt is the drug, and they are pushing it at all levels. The biggest addicts are in DC, and the biggest dealers are on Wall St.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

You need all three. Without consumption, there is no need for production and investement in new productivity.

Consumer debt has been falling- not rising.
    http://news.equifax.com/2012-11-08-T...ained-Cautious
    Total Consumer Debt Fell In Third Quarter, as Americans Remained Cautious

ATLANTA, Nov. 8, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Across the country, consumers remain cautious about taking on new debt. Overall consumer debt levels fell $256 billion in the third quarter versus the same period a year ago, according to new Credit Trends data released by Equifax (NYSE: EFX). However, the 2.28 percent year-over-year decline is the slowest rate of decline since the second quarter of 2009, showing that some of the caution may be starting to lift.
    "Generally speaking, consumers are showing discipline and caution about debt coming out of the recession," said Loughran. "Even though people are taking on debt to get new automobiles, we also know they are driving their cars longer. We expect the trend of the 'disciplined consumer' to continue for some time."
    Black Friday- Steely Dan

Quote Originally Posted by itshappening View Post
    He is saying consumption is not necessarily good for the economy, production and saving is. Peter laments the fact that the US is producing less as evidenced by the large trade deficits.
    Are trade deficits really a bad thing though?

Yes I agree people should be saving and investing more instead of consuming, but if you can buy things cheaper over seas it ultimately helps your economy to do so because it leaves other money available to use on other things.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Yes I agree people should be saving and investing more instead of consuming, but if you can buy things cheaper over seas it ultimately helps your economy to do so because it leaves other money available to use on other things.
    Trade deficits is the ONLY thing that is allowing us to export all of our inflation. Its still amazing to me that we can hit print and some other country is willing to send us their resources and labor for worthless paper. For me, the only problem with trade deficits is it eventually bites you in the ass. But for now I say eat cake.

Trade deficits are not necessarily a good thing or a bad thing. What is the reason they exist is important though. Let us consider the US and say Saudi Arabia. Small country in population compared to the US so they don't have a lot of demand for our goods overall. But they do have a product we want a lot of- petroleum. Let us look at the United States vs say Haiti. We are both bigger and wealthier than they are so it is natural that we would have a bigger demand for goods from them than they would demand from us- our economy is better off then theirs is in addition to the size issue. Now if we are importing more because we are unable to provide ourselves with enough goods or natural resources, that is not necessarily a good thing. If it is becasue we are wealthier, then the deficit does not mean we are worse off.

I don't think Schiff is saying that trade deficits are a bad thing per se. Zippyjuan points out how such deficits may or may not be a bad thing, depending on why the deficit arises. As I understand it (based on things he's said & written elsewhere), Schiff pretty much shares Bastiat's view that exports are the "price" we pay for imports. So in this particular case, I think what Schiff is complaining about is that the current trade deficit is a result of the fact that we're not paying for our imports by making & exporting stuff. Instead, we're paying for imports by borrowing & inflating. That's why he thinks the trade deficit is bad. If it weren't for this, I don't think Schiff would have any particular problem with it.
    The Bastiat Collection ˇ FREE PDF ˇ FREE EPUB ˇ PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

ˇ tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ˇ