Thread: Solar HHO Hydrogen Cooktop

Solar HHO Hydrogen Cooktop

I'm starting this thread as a creative commons project. A project that has been simmering on the back burner in my mind.

Here's the idea:

Take a $100 9 plate "HHO DRY CELL" which are marketed to improve fuel mileage and produce "browns gas" a volitile combination of hydrogen and oxygen:

http://www.hho2u.com/HHO_DRY_CELL.html

Power it directly with a $200 100w Solar Panel; no charge controller costs.

http://www.amazon.com/Instapark®-Bla...ds=solar+panel

Store the HHO browns gas with a tractor inner tube:

Pressurize the system by adding a check valve and a sheet of plywood w/ weight over the inner tube when you need to turn the gas pressure on. I was actually thinking the final version would have some type of mechanical lever that worked from inside the house to apply/remove the weight.

Then direct the gas to a two burner low pressure propane setup:

by way of:

a flashback arrestor:
    http://www.hhoglabs.com/hhoflashbackarrestors.htm

Just a little pet project I've been considering... anyone have any links w/ something like this working?

additional resources:
    http://www.hhoconnection.com
    http://www.hhoforums.com
    Last edited by presence; 11-24-2012 at 10:07 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

thoughts

I have two thoughts:

What will you use to pump the gas INTO the tube? Your mixture of hydrogen and oxygen will be EXTREMELY flammable. This will be MUCH more dangerous than, for example, compressing natural gas or propane due to the presence of oxygen.

Because hydrogen is such a small atom, it tends to evade containment. How long will a a rubber inner tube hold hydrogen?
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Just the filling of the tube is far beyond my safety comfort zone--hydrogen is serious. Then there's the regulators, pipes and massive potential for leaks.

I hate to shoot down innovation, but the risk far outweighs the reward, in my opinion.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    I have two thoughts:

What will you use to pump the gas INTO the tube?
    I actually have a little working scale mockup that will over time fill up a small plastic bag w/ hho gas. No pump is needed, as long as there is no pressure in the vessel to overcome. There is no backpressure when you're filling the bag or inner tube (until its completely inflated). Any extra gas could be bubbled out through a water column. You're not looking to pressurize the tube with the gas from the generator; simply use it as a vessel. When you want to pressurize you would apply a weight to the tube bringing it to very low pressure to send to the burner. Because you're not compressing the gas (at least very minimally) leaks would be minimized and I'm guessing standard propane flare fittings could carry it to an indoor cooktop. The size of the innertube would be relatively small to say the size of a pressurized propane bottle on the side of your home because you'd be generating daily and using daily you would only need to keep a day or two's worth of hho on hand. Even if that goes boom... you're talking a relatively small boom which you could keep a set distance from the home. I was also considering water bath (rv antifreeze) containment and pressurization for the innertube. The issues that make hydrogen difficult for automobile travel are the massive amounts of fuel needed to travel say 300 miles and the need to pressurize that fuel at high pressure to contain it on a small vehicle between fill-ups. The amount of fuel needed for breakfast lunch and dinner is relatively an order of magnitude smaller than that needed to travel 300 miles.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Just the filling of the tube is far beyond my safety comfort zone--hydrogen is serious. Then there's the regulators, pipes and massive potential for leaks.

I hate to shoot down innovation, but the risk far outweighs the reward, in my opinion.
    Ain't skeer'd

I'm a plumber and electrician by trade, I have a bit of oxy-acetylene experience, also I heat my home on a home made natural draft wood boiler that circulates baseboard hot water without electricity, if that helps. I also experimented w/ HHO to improve mileage on a couple of vehicles a while ago before "hho dry cell kits" came on the market. I fabricate; I'm cool with explosive gas; I'll be safe. Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Ain't skeer'd

I'm a plumber and electrician by trade, I have a bit of oxy-acetylene experience, also I heat my home on a home made natural draft wood boiler that circulates baseboard hot water without electricity, if that helps. I also experimented w/ HHO to improve mileage on a couple of vehicles a while ago before "hho dry cell kits" came on the market. I fabricate; I'm cool with explosive gas; I'll be safe. Hope that helps.
    Certainly you have crucial experience that I do not. Good luck if you try it--don't explode!
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

I* see

I actually have a little working scale mockup that will over time fill up a small plastic bag w/ hho gas. No pump is needed, as long as there is no pressure in the vessel to overcome. There is no backpressure when you're filling the bag or inner tube (until its completely inflated). Any extra gas could be bubbled out through a water column. You're not looking to pressurize the tube with the gas from the generator; simply use it as a vessel. When you want to pressurize you would apply a weight to the tube bringing it to very low pressure to send to the burner. Because you're not compressing the gas (at least very minimally) leaks would be minimized and I'm guessing standard propane flare fittings could carry it to an indoor cooktop. The size of the innertube would be relatively small to say the size of a pressurized propane bottle on the side of your home because you'd be generating daily and using daily you would only need to keep a day or two's worth of hho on hand. Even if that goes boom... you're talking a relatively small boom which you could keep a set distance from the home. I was also considering water bath (rv antifreeze) containment and pressurization for the innertube. The issues that make hydrogen difficult for automobile travel are the massive amounts of fuel needed to travel say 300 miles and the need to pressurize that fuel at high pressure to contain it on a small vehicle between fill-ups. The amount of fuel needed for breakfast lunch and dinner is relatively an order of magnitude smaller than that needed to travel 300 miles.
    Gotcha. Yes, if you are not filling the tube to the point it begins to stretch, it should be possible with just the pressure generated in the cell.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Ain't skeer'd

You might want to look at the work people have done with wood gas and coal gas, which is composed primarily of hydrogen and carbon monoxide. It is not explosive, as is the product of your electrolytic cell, but probably has similar containment issues. I seem to recall that during WWII trucks in Europe would store wood gas for fuel in large bags of some kind. I don't know what the bags were made of. Maybe rubberized fabric? If a rubber inner tube loses too much gas, a large mylar balloon might work better. They seem to hold helium far longer than a rubber balloon.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.