Thread: Project - Adopt a Neocon

Project - Adopt a Neocon

Now that elections are over, we must focus our attention and actions into the future. Therefore, I give all of you a suggestion: adopt a neocon!

What do I mean by that? Well, we all have heard stories of former neocons that came to the liberty movement. They all swallowed the official "right-wing" FOX propaganda uncritically; they all thought it was obvious that America fights for freedom across the globe and that the only reason anyone could have to hate the USA was because of its "sheer awesomeness", as Tom Woods says. But, then, something happened: they've studied more, they listened to Ron Paul or caught FOX News lying to them -- and the spell was broken. To adopt a neocon is to engage him in a series of conversations, is to expose him gradually to certain unknown facts that could make him wake up.

It's very difficult to do this all of a sudden. People tend to associate emotions to ideas. When you expose a neocon to the terrifying attitudes of the US government around the world, he would think that you're accusing him of murder etc. So, one must dissociate the actions of the US government and the individual neocon. And that takes time!

So, this project is simply about this: choose some neocon friends and slowly try to convince them. We have a great opportunity, since Obama won the election: all the "conservatives" will be suspicious of government right now. So, let's expose this foreign policy to them while Obama is performing it. And, then, show that it's the same thing the GOP has been doing for some time.

I would also like to see people discussing what would be the correct strategy, what kind of informations -- and what media: books, articles, movies etc. -- work better.

As an article said, maybe we can "trigger a libertarian takeover in the 2014 midterm elections". We two years until then, and four years until the next presidential elections. Now it's time to act!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emerick View Post
    Now that elections are over, we must focus our attention and actions into the future. Therefore, I give all of you a suggestion: adopt a neocon!
    Dibs on Rand. Not saying he is one but we'll certainly find out if'n all goes well on the once over over in the other thread. I mean we are looking for a representative of our own values. Right? Land of the free and home of the brave and all of that like our founding fathers left it? Only way we'll find out if one is a neocon or not is to ask the right questions. Can't very well convert a neocon unless he actually is a neocon so ...will have to reley upon the great wise "converter" having a clue whether or not he or she is qualified to see where the conversion needs to happen with the "convertee" in the first place. Different project of sorts but the more relevant one, it could be said.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-12-2012 at 10:57 AM.

I've adopted many a neocon, as well as people of various other ideological stripes. They're slowly coming 'round.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost."
    ~ President John Q. Adams ~

Well ... I dunno ... maybe ... but I ain't changin' any diapers!!!
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

They're so cute!

Who wouldn't want a couple?!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Occam's Banana again."
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    They're so cute!

Who wouldn't want a couple?!
    And they're already housebroken.......
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    And they're already housebroken.......
    Well, maybe... I still find them $#@!ting all over the constitution every time my back's turned.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Well, maybe... I still find them $#@!ting all over the constitution every time my back's turned.
    -)
    "The Patriarch"

Some liberals are also adoptable. Probably more so than neo-cons.

In fact I would argue that it is easiest to pick the low hanging fruit. Teo-cons for instance, are only a couple steps away. Probably more easily convinced. Neo-cons, you have to bring them to a new ideology and dialectic which is more difficult to do. Teo-cons for the most part share similar fundamentals. It's like adopting a cute little golden retriever and teaching him how to sit, vs adopting a hugely misbehaving dog and trying to change his ways. Certainly possible but a lot more difficult.

Some liberals may be more open to our ideas, a lot of them care about liberty it seems like (or at least they say they do) but are misguided in its application. Neo-cons though to me seem like the hardest group to convince, apart from the liberals who agree with neo-cons on foreign policy and civil liberties (like Joe Lieberman).

agreed, i think liberals are easier. especially once you point out how much they differ from the real obama. and not with what the media says.

i think these 2 links helped me the most when it came to changing the hearts and minds. i just turned a democrat over to our side with this link below. he understood liberty, knew what it was, and wanted it. but he was of the belief that the democratic party had his best interests at heart. once he read this article he learned that both parties are the reason we are in this mess he was open to new suggestions. he became hooked on the concept of liberty. http://www.sobran.com/articles/tyranny.shtml

i used this series of videos on a couple of democrats and neocons who genuinely had no concept of liberty. they genuinely thought their respective parties were on the side of liberty. http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...E&feature=plcp they really opened their eyes to new ideas. they're not all the way there but they're accepting it.

Ain't feeding them, ain't inviting them for turkey.

I have already adopted one. Right now is the perfect time to strike the iron, the GOP is red hot. We talked yesterday and let's just say that I think the GOP rank and file are very open to new ideas right now. Let's make sure they get the right ones! Keep working on liberals too, the time will come when they will be more receptive too.

Tom Woods links this thread.

Tom Woods: Adopt a Neocon

http://www.tomwoods.com/blog/adopt-a-neocon/

A reader alerts me to his plan to change minds.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A great idea. Helpful hint though, they may view the term neocon to be a slur.
    http://www.iycki.org

Pro-life conservative Constitutionalist libertarian.

I stand with Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by realtonygoodwin View Post
    A great idea. Helpful hint though, they may view the term neocon to be a slur.
    Yes, best to try to avoid labels all together.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.