Thread: UN, we need drones.....

UN, we need drones.....

UN wants to use drones in DR Congo conflict

By Tim Witcher (AFP) – 3 hours ago

UNITED NATIONS — The United Nations wants to use drones for the first time to monitor fighting in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, where Rwanda has been accused of aiding rebels, officials said Friday.

Peacekeeping chiefs have been in contact with the governments of DR Congo and of Rwanda about the sensitive move, which could set a precedent that would worry some United Nations members, diplomats said.

Rwanda itself was one of the first to register concerns. Olivier Nduhungirehe, first counselor for Rwanda's UN mission, said: "This is controversial, not all countries agree with this."

UN leaders are looking for ways to strengthen the MONUSCO peacekeeping mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo, where the "M23" guerrillas have taken over much of mineral-rich North Kivu province.

UN experts say Rwanda and Uganda have sent troops and arms across the border. Both strongly deny the allegations.

The UN "is considering a range of ways to strengthen the capabilities of MONUSCO to protect civilians from the threat of armed groups in the vast area of eastern DR Congo," UN peacekeeping spokesman Kieran Dwyer told AFP.

"Unarmed aerial vehicles, drones for monitoring the movements of armed groups, are one tool we are considering," he said.

"Of course, we would do this carefully, in full cooperation with the government of the DR Congo, and trialing their most effective uses for information gathering to help implement our mandate to protect civilians."

"Ultimately, to introduce these, we would need the support of member states to equip the mission," Dwyer said.

While the drones would not halt the current M23 advance, the UN is also considering bringing in extra troops and redeploying its current force. UN leader Ban Ki-moon is to recommend options to the UN Security Council soon.

MONUSCO currently has about 17,500 troops but could go up to about 19,500 under its Security Council mandate.

Countries such as France have called for MONUSCO's operational mandate to be toughened so the force can take a tougher line against the rebels.

But UN officials says the peacekeepers, who come from nearly 50 countries, must not replace a national army.

The DR Congo army has virtually collapsed against the advance by M23, who launched their mutiny in April after breaking away from the army and setting up a bastion near the Rwanda border.

UN officials stress that there could be no speedy deployment of drones in DR Congo as MONUSCO would need equipment and training. But it would be a major first in UN peacekeeping operations.

A previous plan to get drones into DR Congo was dropped because of the cost, But the price of the technology has come down with so many countries now using unmanned planes for battlefield reconnaissance and espionage.

"The UN has approached a number of countries, including the United States and France, about providing drones which could clearly play a valuable role monitoring the frontier," a UN diplomat said, on condition of anonymity.

"Clearly there will be political considerations though," the diplomat added.

The UN plan is only to have surveillance drones, but the spying capability of the unmanned aerial vehicles worries a lot of countries.

"In Congo, the drones could spot any troops and weapons coming across the border which is good," said one Security Council diplomat.

"But there are a lot of countries with secrets to hide. If the drones are used in other missions, who will guard the information and guarantee that it does not get passed on," the diplomat added.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...3a03fa008d.591
    "The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    United Nations is cool with Killing people, but....

United Nations Demands Obama Smash State Marijuana Legalization!

A top UN official called on the Obama administration to quash recent marijuana legalizations in Washington State and Colorado.

----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

There is no comparing the mere killing of people to the horrors of legalized marijuana.

Besides, they are only going to use them for surveillance.

Last edited by Origanalist; 11-23-2012 at 02:49 PM.
    "The Patriarch"

The UN reminds me of a giant neighborhood association where they can't keep their nose out of everybody else's business.

The UN was born of Satan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    The UN reminds me of a giant neighborhood association where they can't keep their nose out of everybody else's business.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

0:40 - Drones Over Gaza Night of Nov 17, 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-mGhY55BBA

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Do any of you remember UN membership being put to any sort of a vote?

I certainly don't...Nor do I recall funding UN actions being put to a vote, but I do remember reading that Leon Panetta thinks our military gets their marching orders from the UN..

Wouldn't this be one of the "entangling alliances" we were warned about?

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Do any of you remember UN membership being put to any sort of a vote?

I certainly don't...Nor do I recall funding UN actions being put to a vote, but I do remember reading that Leon Panetta thinks our military gets their marching orders from the UN..

Wouldn't this be one of the "entangling alliances" we were warned about?
    I get the impression the UN was started by the United States as an end run around Congress.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The League of Nations was the original UN formation and it was Euro/British centric.

Upon the the subversion of the USA in 1913 (Creation of the Fed) - America lost most of it's internal power to Euro and British banking agents (mostly germans and brits).

Any American push for UN formation was merely a proxy by external agents who managed to subvert the largest industrial (and thus military) power in the world.

It's no coincidence that World War 1 began the year after The Fed was finally formalized in the USA.

I get the impression the UN was started by the United States as an end run around Congress.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park

Given the financial drain on our non-existent coffers, their obvious disregard for our states rights and the blatant subservience of certain cabinet members maybe it's time some of our elected representatives questioned our involvement...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Given the financial drain on our non-existent coffers, their obvious disregard for our states rights and the blatant subservience of certain cabinet members maybe it's time some of our elected representatives questioned our involvement...
    Heresy! Reported.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Heresy! Reported.
    Come-n-get me copper......

We the People hereby Nullify the United Nations. I like the sound of that. I doubt a lousy petition will work though.
    Last edited by paulbot24; 11-24-2012 at 02:27 AM.
    "Perfect safety is not the purpose of government." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    "I was in the rain forest once, and it rained on me..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Ron Paul suggested a very good first step to the process of restoring sound money... It was beautiful. It left them all standing with their fiats out.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    'Excuse us, we'll be leaving now. Oh, and you don't mind if we just steal this Constitution before we go? You @#$%s aren't using it anyway...'

Fat chance of that. Think about all the people who ridiculously believe that to get rid of the federal Department of Education means to get rid of public schools. These same people would also think that to get rid of the United Nations would mean that heads of state would then be unable to talk to each other.

Last edited by LibertyEagle; 11-24-2012 at 02:57 AM.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights