Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: TX Man Sentenced to Life in Prison for 9th DWI

TX Man Sentenced to Life in Prison for 9th DWI

I just saw this story on Fox news on Megan Kelly's show and they were agreeing with the judges decision. Complete insanity!

T.X. -- The ninth conviction was the breaking point for one Texas judge who earlier this week sentenced a habitual drunken driver to life in prison.

Bobby Stovall, 54, was driving his truck in Round Rock, Texas, in early July when he weaved through several lanes of traffic and hit another vehicle, injuring the driver. It was later determined that Stovall had a blood alcohol concentration of .32, four times the legal limit in Texas.

And while that DWI was certainly enough to get Stovall in trouble with the law, when the judge found out the defendant had eight prior DWI convictions across several different counties in Texas, he ordered up a life sentence for Stovall.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-man-l...8#.UK07zeTokbA
    "We do have some differences and our approaches will be different, but that makes him his own person. I mean why should he [Rand] be a clone and do everything and think just exactly as I have. I think it's an opportunity to be independent minded. We are about 99% [the same on issues]." Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    shouldn't you have to infringe on another persons life, liberty, or property before having yours removed permanently?
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    shouldn't you have to infringe on another persons life, liberty, or property before having yours removed permanently?
    Yes, I agree, but apparently he did do some of that. From what has been reported though, certainly not enough for life imprisonment. wow

Quote Originally Posted by VoluntaryAmerican View Post
    Bobby Stovall, 54, was driving his truck in Round Rock, Texas, in early July when he weaved through several lanes of traffic and hit another vehicle, injuring the driver. It was later determined that Stovall had a blood alcohol concentration of .32, four times the legal limit in Texas.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

Many states have such laws... they are called HTV or habitual traffic violator laws. Should he get a felony? Yes; life, no.

In my state, he would receive a class D felony and be banned from driving for life. If he drives again, he will receive a class C felony.
    Last edited by AFPVet; 11-21-2012 at 03:12 PM.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

why is this dangerous substance "legal" then?

life sentence...but not for sandusky, corizone, or teh bernack...

Or just sell his car and give him a horse / bicycle.

Oh wait, it's probably illegal to ride horses nowadays
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Could this not have been resolved by barring him from having a drivers license?
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

Quote Originally Posted by jdmyprez_deo_vindice View Post
    reason has no place in the court of law.
    the judge gas gotten laid in awhile, had a bad game of golf saturday... so take it.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There's still a little Old West in the West.

Mostly, you get to the southwest and not much is required of you. For example, if jaywalking is illegal in Round Rock, I'd be very surprised. But if you're a constant menace, and especially if you're a continuing deadly menace, you're just liable to get dealt with.

I ain't sayin' it's right. I'm just sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    We believe our lying eyes...

That's pretty harsh but he did hit someone and Id want to know the details of his prior DWI convictions. Does he have a history of damaging other's property and health? .32 is VERY drunk...like blackout drunk. Im not a fan of DWI laws overall but his situation is to the extreme.

Not sure if serious.

After that many convictions it's pretty safe to say he doesn't have a driver license.
    Last edited by devil21; 11-21-2012 at 03:59 PM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    That's pretty harsh but he did hit someone and Id want to know the details of his prior DWI convictions. Does he have a history of damaging other's property and health? .32 is VERY drunk...like blackout drunk. Im not a fan of DWI laws overall but his situation is to the extreme.

Not sure if serious.

After that many convictions it's pretty safe to say he doesn't have a driver license.
    In my state, HTV is after three OWI judgments in a 10 year period. Once you receive HTV, you may be banned from driving. If you continue to drive, they keep stacking felonies. Now I suppose you could end up with life if you use a "revolving door"; however, you won't be handed a life sentence.
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

This is the kind of thing that the penalty of exile would be ideal for.

Did he have a driver's license to remove?

Quote Originally Posted by carclinic View Post
    Good.
    Me thinks you have a misguided sense of "good".

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hope a drunk driver kills you and your family then.

Seriously though, we have to have some law and order.

Life in prison?

Seems harsh... How about commitment to a health facility, where he belongs. This is a medical problem as much as it is a behavior problem.

Sick dude very sick!

He injured somebody through neglegence. Vehicular battery 2-10. Call it done. Strip drivers liscence if need be for life. But life sentence? Hell, that cop that beat the $#@! out of that innocent janitor - pummeled to bloody death - only got 4 years of Just-Us.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...abled-janitor/

A Spokane police officer was sentenced to more than four years in prison for using excessive force against a mentally disabled janitor who died after being mistakenly suspected of stealing money from an ATM. Six years ago, Zehm was beaten and targeted with a stun gun by Thompson in a convenience store. He was hog-tied and sat on by other officers until he passed out. He died two days later without regaining consciousness.
    Last edited by presence; 11-22-2012 at 07:20 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Premise: Belief in a Deity leads to the following good results.
    Premise: Rejection of a Deity leads to the following bad results.
    Therefore, you should believe in a deity.

Argumentum ad Consequentiam; Red Herring,

If it's raining then the streets are wet.
    The streets are wet.
    Therefore, it's raining.

The Fallacy of the Consequent

The fact that we desire something to be true gives not the slightest reason to believe it, and the fact that we fear something being true is no reason to think it false

Argumentum ad Metum
    www.fallacyfiles.org

Also... quite $#@!ing rude.

-rep
    Last edited by presence; 11-22-2012 at 07:49 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to presence again."

Damn.
    "Perfect safety is not the purpose of government." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    "I was in the rain forest once, and it rained on me..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Ron Paul suggested a very good first step to the process of restoring sound money... It was beautiful. It left them all standing with their fiats out.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    'Excuse us, we'll be leaving now. Oh, and you don't mind if we just steal this Constitution before we go? You @#$%s aren't using it anyway...'

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    www.fallacyfiles.org

Also... quite $#@!ing rude.

-rep
    Point is, the laws exist for a reason.

Laws are written and rewritten daily, they're perverted and twisted by prosecutors/judges and lawyers to fit agendas.

Public sentiment, such as you have expressed regarding drunk drivers, contributes drastically to their perversion.

Whether or not you realize it you are being played like a fiddle by the propaganda arm of government.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Don't advocate for pre-crimes. The very fact that you bought a gun means you could kill someone. With the DWI/DUI logic, you are already guilty because of the potential damage you could cause by buying a gun.

IMHO, you do it 9 times you're a white trash degenerate. And, granted the legal limit should be set higher, but to do it 9 times and hurt people, he is not going to be "corrected" by a correctional facility. He should be locked away with the key thrown away. Preferably, the US prison system should be a series of gulags that produced cheap goods, where murderers and degenerates can be the opposite of a drain on society.

No, not for sure, he might still drive w/o license while hammered...

Got to lock him up for a while (or take off his hands and legs ...and/or remove both eyes).
    That seems about as excessive as just getting locked up for LIFE!

The loss of innocent life at the hands of this guy is even more horrible to imagine.

A few years to dry out while locked up seems more reasonable... He should stop drinking. Maybe it's unlikely he can ever quit. Maybe he's a dangerous driver even while sober. I'd give him a chance to ponder over that for a few years.

Upon release, he gets conditional parole: Any connection between booze and even going near a car with car keys gets him another few years. If that does not work, try a decade or two in prison. Repeat if necessary with three or four decades, etc.

The problem goes away eventually.

IMHO, you do it 9 times you're a white trash degenerate. And, granted the legal limit should be set higher, but to do it 9 times and hurt people, he is not going to be "corrected" by a correctional facility. He should be locked away with the key thrown away. Preferably, the US prison system should be a series of gulags that produced cheap goods, where murderers and degenerates can be the opposite of a drain on society.
    Sounds like something China would endorse while they're digging a new graves trench. Jesus, take a Valium.
    "Perfect safety is not the purpose of government." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    "I was in the rain forest once, and it rained on me..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Ron Paul suggested a very good first step to the process of restoring sound money... It was beautiful. It left them all standing with their fiats out.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    'Excuse us, we'll be leaving now. Oh, and you don't mind if we just steal this Constitution before we go? You @#$%s aren't using it anyway...'

I don't need a valium, I just think we need a harsher criminal justice system. I'd like to see flogging come back, old school death sentences (gallows), and an efficient prison system that actually deters crime.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Here's one got life for his 3rd DWI;

http://video.foxnews.com/v/198206713...tcmp=obnetwork
    Thats how it should be.

Revoke license after second. Life in prison after third.
    Rand Paul 2016

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast