Thread: Congressman Thomas Massie turns down Congressional pension and healthcare program

Congressman Thomas Massie turns down Congressional pension and healthcare program

Thomas Massie 2012.
    "We have nothing to fear except our own unwillingness to defend what is naturally ours, our God-given rights. We have nothing to fear that should cause us to forget or relinquish our rights as free men and women. To thrive, we must believe in ourselves again, and we must never, never trade our liberty for any fleeting promise of security." - Rand Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Looks like he is already laying some solid groundwork for a future campaign.

*sniff* our boy.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

Linky to an article or something? Helps with the sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Linky to an article or something? Helps with the sharing.
    It came from the man himself, so, no.
    "We have nothing to fear except our own unwillingness to defend what is naturally ours, our God-given rights. We have nothing to fear that should cause us to forget or relinquish our rights as free men and women. To thrive, we must believe in ourselves again, and we must never, never trade our liberty for any fleeting promise of security." - Rand Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Gage View Post
    It came from the man himself, so, no.
    Sounds like he needs a publicist or press secretary.

press release?
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    he also said he turned down all of the medical benefits.
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

Quote Originally Posted by jdmyprez_deo_vindice View Post
    Damn, I was going to as him to claim me as a dependent child (according to Obamacare, people are children until they're 26).

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate View Post
    Damn, I was going to as him to claim me as a dependent child (according to Obamacare, people are children until they're 26).
    Aren't you in Spain?

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

Good job Thomas.
    War; everything in the world wrong, evil and immoral combined into one and multiplied by millions.

Chester Copperpot

I think we've got another Mr. No.

Where did he say this?
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Did Amash do the same in the past?
    Inactive

List of Liberty-minded candidates for Congress in 2014
    Party: Libertarian (since registration) / Religion: none (Ignostic)

“If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.”
    ― Dhammapada, v. 61

"Asking why there are no Libertarian countries is akin to asking why there are no Atheist Theocracies." - #AncapJackal

Quote Originally Posted by Smart3 View Post
    Did Amash do the same in the past?
    I directly asked Amash about this and he tapdanced around the question and eventually said he was taking the pension plan and benefits. Oh well, not everyone can be perfect.
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Where did he say this?
    I talked with him tonight.

I talked with him tonight.
    Thank you. It just seemed that people were randomly saying Massie this and Massie that with zero evidence.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Thank you. It just seemed that people were randomly saying Massie this and Massie that with zero evidence.
    He made the pledge before the primary.

http://mycn2.com/politics/massie-use...at-2-opponents

Not to rain on the parade, but Thomas isn't hurting for money. It's a nice gesture, but I'd be more impressed if it were someone like Joe Walsh (in debt, past due child support payments) turning down the pension and healthcare program.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

I directly asked Amash about this and he tapdanced around the question and eventually said he was taking the pension plan and benefits. Oh well, not everyone can be perfect.
    Further proof Massie is the true wielder of the Matrix of Leadership.
    Inactive

List of Liberty-minded candidates for Congress in 2014
    Party: Libertarian (since registration) / Religion: none (Ignostic)

“If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.”
    ― Dhammapada, v. 61

"Asking why there are no Libertarian countries is akin to asking why there are no Atheist Theocracies." - #AncapJackal

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    Not to rain on the parade, but Thomas isn't hurting for money. It's a nice gesture, but I'd be more impressed if it were someone like Joe Walsh (in debt, past due child support payments) turning down the pension and healthcare program.
    I am very impressed with Massie's gesture, but Amash may be thinking more of his family's well-being by accepting those benefits. I would not be too upset with Justin about this; he didn't create the system, and he would vote to overturn it if it came up.

Ron Paul collects social security.

Apparently participation is mandatory...

http://www.lvrj.com/news/heck-seeks-...159510195.html

Members elected to the House after 2003 are not allowed to decline their pensions. Apparently Ron Paul was making them look bad, so they passed a law.

https://www.congress.gov/108/plaws/p...-108publ83.pdf

SEC. 104. (a) Section 8401(20) of title 5, United States Code, is amended by striking the semicolon at the end and inserting the following: ‘‘, and who (in the case of an individual who is a Member of the House of Representatives, including a Delegate or Resident Commissioner to the Congress) serves as a Member prior to the date of the enactment of the Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2004;’’

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/5/8401

(20) the term “Member” has the same meaning as provided in section 2106, except that such term does not include an individual who irrevocably elects, by written notice to the official by whom such individual is paid, not to participate in the Federal Employees’ Retirement System, and who (in the case of an individual who is a Member of the House of Representatives, including a Delegate or Resident Commissioner to the Congress) serves as a Member prior to the date of the enactment of the Legislative Branch Appropriations Act, 2004;

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Leading by example.

Outstanding.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.