Thread: Question about silver coins...

Question about silver coins...

I found some silver coins at my local dealer, they are all 1 troy oz, .999 fine silver but they are all Christmas coins with Santa Claus on them. Does having a design like that (Santa or otherwise) make them harder to sell when you want to sell them?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Does he have any silver Eagles ?

Quote Originally Posted by down_south View Post
    I found some silver coins at my local dealer, they are all 1 troy oz, .999 fine silver but they are all Christmas coins with Santa Claus on them. Does having a design like that (Santa or otherwise) make them harder to sell when you want to sell them?
    Do reindeer fly?

Yes, they will be harder to sell. The premium for American Eagles is that they are well known and trusted, and people will have one for comparison.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

No silver eagles, silver Santas only right now Has anyone bought any coins online and if so, have you had any problems receiving them? I guess I like guying local just cause I like no record of my buying anything.

If you would be selling for strictly melt value than no they will not be harder to sell. If you are looking for investment pieces with both an increasing melt value and an increasing numismatic value than there are better options out there for you. That said, there is always a niche market of commemorative and novelty coin/token collectors who will scoop up hard to find items. You might want to get an idea as to how many of these were struck.
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

Make sure its a TROY ounce

Does he have any common Peace dollars ( 1922 , 1923 ) or common Morgan dollars ( 1921 ) ? They are about 3/4 of an ounce , easier to unload later, you will probably have to pay $32 ish , but you can get that back out of them , or more, later.
    Last edited by oyarde; 11-17-2012 at 04:41 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's bullion silver, I would have no problem buying it. Not much over spot and make sure it is a troy ounce. I own lots of silver bullion along with junk silver and eagles. I buy what is the best deal at the time i'm looking.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

No silver eagles, silver Santas only right now Has anyone bought any coins online and if so, have you had any problems receiving them? I guess I like guying local just cause I like no record of my buying anything.
    I like buying in person as well.

yes, coins and bars with no mint name on it are generally harder to sell.

I would be more inclined to pick up 14 uncirculated early 60's dimes for $2.50 ea , but that is just me ....

I have never used APMEX for anything , but last ad I saw had Silver Eagles @ 36.84 , a generic.999 silveroz round @ $35.34 and a 10 oz silver bar @ 346.40. One of the reasons I buy local , I can beat any net price I have ever seen , I pay no tax, no shipping , no minimums etc.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I have never used APMEX for anything , but last ad I saw had Silver Eagles @ 36.84 , a generic.999 silveroz round @ $35.34 and a 10 oz silver bar @ 346.40. One of the reasons I buy local , I can beat any net price I have ever seen , I pay no tax, no shipping , no minimums etc.

I've used Apmex several times, and have never had a problem with them. Buying local would be the best bet, especially if you can get good deals. But for those who don't have any good local sources, Apmex would make a good second place option.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    I've used Apmex several times, and have never had a problem with them. Buying local would be the best bet, especially if you can get good deals. But for those who don't have any good local sources, Apmex would make a good second place option.
    Kind of what I was thinking .

24 Hours sale on APMEX silver rounds, $1.29 over spot.

http://www.apmex.com/Product/27024/....111912Pro27024
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I know interacting with society is one of the great collective fears of the liberty movement but you guys really need to start hitting estate auctions and such. Why pay over spot price for silver when you can wait for the right auction and but up a lot of it for next to nothing? Not to mention gold, sterling silver, coin silver and gem stones.
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

Quote Originally Posted by jdmyprez_deo_vindice View Post
    I know interacting with society is one of the great collective fears of the liberty movement but you guys really need to start hitting estate auctions and such. Why pay over spot price for silver when you can wait for the right auction and but up a lot of it for next to nothing? Not to mention gold, sterling silver, coin silver and gem stones.
    I agree , I do auctions etc, sometimes you can get a decent deal , sometimes not , does not cost anything to walk away, go to the house , make a bacon sandwich ...

I would be more inclined to pick up 14 uncirculated early 60's dimes for $2.50 ea , but that is just me ....
    yes, not a bad idea, although not as pure, they're harder to counterfeit, easier to verify, and easier to sell.

I guess I like guying local just cause I like no record of my buying anything.

Nothing wrong with that, but I must admit I do not get this seemingly excessive need for anonymity. Your call, of course, but I have no problem buying anything of the sort online. I bought 10K rounds of 5.56, for example, just as Bammy was getting into office. I don't give a mouse's $#@! if they know about it because if things go toward pending confiscation, I can assure you that my assets are going to mysteriously disappear from the house. "They" are never going to see anything of my possessions. Weapons, metals, ammo, liquor, machine tools... all ghosts if the time comes. They can come and demand until they are blue in their faces. I will simply stand back and have a good chuckle. I am no longer afraid of "them". Perhaps I should be? I don't know. I just know that I am not and will not make any extraordinary effort to hide my opinions and so forth. If they do not like what I think or do, let them take me to Gitmo if they dare. I could use the change of scenery.
    Last edited by osan; 11-20-2012 at 12:10 AM.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

They have a new soccer field @ Gitmo.

They have a new soccer field @ Gitmo.
    Rather they let me go to the range. Soccer is SUCH an annoying game.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

This is crazy.Silver is SILVER! What difference does it make what design is on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsoldier View Post
    This is crazy.Silver is SILVER! What difference does it make what design is on it?
    I suppose if it fits in your caldron to melt down it is just a matter of if it will fit. That and the purity.

Someone making a trade on the other hand may want something he recognizes and is comfortable with. Lots of us can't do a lot of testing and have to do a lot of trusting.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogsoldier View Post
    purity, quality, and reliability of the brand.