Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No More Twinkies for You! Hostess Going Out of Business

Max unemployment for all of them , runs , 438 million.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The brands will be offered for auction , I do not see why anyone would buy them though.....

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Collective bargaining is a free market concept so long as participation is not compulsory, and so long as no law or union contracts can be created that abrogate rights of non-participating, non-collectivized (competing) individuals. In that sense, most unions, as constituted, are not free market at all. The notion that you cannot individually bargain with a firm as a result of a law, and not a voluntary contract between parties, means that for as much I love Hostess products, I would rather see it, and everyone who dug their artificial protectionist heals in, as casualties. That void will be filled soon enough.

Here is the thing that constantly leaves me shaking my head in both wonder and disgust. Under a fiat currency debauching regime, labor is among the very last to adjust to currency devaluations, as they are perpetually forced to bargain for higher nominal wages to keep pace with monetary inflation, and only after price inflation has fully permeated the economy, and their wealth and purchasing power has been siphoned away.

If neither Keynes nor any other currency debauching economist, banker or politician had ever existed, a sound currency in a growing economy would naturally favor labor. As prices fall, wages would be the very last to eventually fall. It would be FIRMS that are perpetually forced to bargain for lower nominal wages, as they ask employees to take pay cuts in nominal value, not exchange value. That should be a union-members wet dream, as productive labor would find itself perpetually in the cat-bird's seat. And yet, ironically, union members I have spoken with (out of those who at least have a basic understanding of how a fiat currency works--against them) still tend to be opposed to a sound currency. When it boils right down to it, they don't mind at all that other wage earners are being perpetually ripped off, so long as a union is in place to make sure that they get theirs. Thus, they are very much anti-labor in the aggregate.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    What do you eat when you get the munchies? Prunes?
    Bacon, eggs, steak, burgers (no bun), ham, lamb, chicken, seafood, vegetables fruit and limited grains. As much pasture fed as possible.
    Last edited by dannno; 11-16-2012 at 01:35 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Bacon, eggs, steak, burgers, ham, lamb, chicken, seafood, vegetables fruit and limited grains.
    I was totally expecting liver, fava beans, and chianti.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I was totally expecting liver, fava beans, and chianti.
    Liver is rough, but I do get a "boost" blend of pasture raised beef with 10% liver mixed in that I can make burgers, meatballs, meatloaf, etc.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Originally Posted by dannno
    At 6'1" and 144 lbs. I guess it's no wonder they went out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    What do you eat when you get the munchies? Prunes?
    Celery
    Once more into the fray...
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day...
    Live and die on this day...

I'm about to eat a grilled pastrami reuben 'sub in a tub' from Jersey Mike's

./
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-17-2016 at 04:20 PM.

at least it wasn't the government that force them out of business

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Homeland Security Partnership Council, is a public-private partnership that basically merges the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with local governments and the private sector for the implied purpose of giving the Executive Branch complete and limitless control over the American people. President signed the executive order while everyone was watching the weather last month.

Just didn't know where else to post it so...this was close enough.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 11-16-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Will looking for Twinkies resort to something similar in this video?
    “First of all, if you’ve got health insurance, you like your doctors, you like your plan, you can keep your doctor, you can keep your plan. Nobody is talking about taking that away from you.” Lying Sack of Crap

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Homeland Security Partnership Council, is a public-private partnership that basically merges the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with local governments and the private sector for the implied purpose of giving the Executive Branch complete and limitless control over the American people. President signed the executive order while everyone was watching the weather last month.

Just didn't know where else to post it so...this was close enough.
    Link?

They don't taste as good as they used to. I don't know if they changed, or my tastes changed, or both.

But here we are, admitting that we haven't had any in years, while speculating why the company failed. Duh.
    That had occurred to me!

I figured the taste changed, they've been in financial trouble for quite a while.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

You know, those people who make fried twinkies at the state fair are going to have teh sad next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Legalizing marijuana and discontinuing twinkies seems counterintuitive for Washington ...

Quote Originally Posted by Tpoints View Post
    at least it wasn't the government that force them out of business
    Or worse yet, offered a bailout to keep them in business.
    Last edited by 123tim; 11-17-2012 at 08:35 AM.
    A vote against Ron Paul is a vote for Obama

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...22#post4013522

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance...it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Another company will buy the twinkie brand and they'll be made again... just not by hostess.
    It's just an opinion... man...

Twinkies may give us the runs
    Bernanke has just ordered tons
    His printing is peaking
    So now he is seeking
    A new recipe for sore buns

The Limerick King

http://maxkeiser.com/2012/11/16/happ...deral-reserve/
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

I bought 61 boxes from 5 different stores the morning the news came in saying Hostess shut down. PM me if you want to buy your stake in America's golden icon I've already sold several but I'm in no rush to give these away.

Count me out, enjoy.....

Excuse me. Maybe I'm wrong but wasn't this bankruptcy due to the union? If so, doesn't the bankruptcy free the company from Union constraints? The new owners will have buildings and equipment to make twinkies .... So won't they make twinkies? I haven't heard this is a liquidation of the company assets.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneButPaul View Post
    Another company will buy the twinkie brand and they'll be made again... just not by hostess.
    Bimbo

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoOneButPaul View Post
    I think the Hostess name is considered an asset, so it's probably going to be sold as such.

I think the Hostess name is considered an asset, so it's probably going to be sold as such.
    I so hope the names Hostess and Twinkie get bought by and used by a non-unionized company that goes on to be very successful.

Spot on, that is exactly right.

Quote Originally Posted by american.swan View Post
    Excuse me. Maybe I'm wrong but wasn't this bankruptcy due to the union? If so, doesn't the bankruptcy free the company from Union constraints? The new owners will have buildings and equipment to make twinkies .... So won't they make twinkies? I haven't heard this is a liquidation of the company assets.
    If Hostess was being reorganized through a Chapter 11 bankruptcy restructuring (as it has done twice in the last ten years), the reason for that particular type of bankruptcy would not (and did not then, either time) free the company from union constraints. Those constraints stand to be completely destroyed now, however, because there will be no new owner of the "Hostess" brand. This time, the owners of Hostess are seeking to liquidate assets entirely, and go completely out of business. The new owners of those assets (e.g., Twinkies) would be completely different companies. They may or may not have anything whatsoever to do with any unions, but prior union constraints are not, and cannot be, tied to the assets--because they don't belong, in any sense of the word, to any unions or their members. The particular unions that did once have a strangehold on Hostess will be left without a Hostess pot to piss in, or a Hostess window to throw it out of.

Comment: I hear a Chinese company going to buy you guys out. Now you bake and sell Hostess Chinkies
    http://www.twinkies.org/messboard.php

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast