Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul LePage 2014

Paul LePage 2014

In 2014 we should help re-elect Paul LePage. He is fairly libertarian on civil unions, has Tea Party backing, met with Ron Paul before the Maine caucus (and did not endorse Romney until after the Maine caucus) and most importantly helped out Maine RP delegates by boycotting the GOP Convention when the RNC announced they would not be seated. Many Maine delegates have talked with him personally, would be helpful to have their input.

In 2010 the only real reason LePage won was a 3 way split among the left wing vote. The Democrat, Libby Mitchell got 19.12%, an Independent progressive, Eliot Cutler, got 36.49% and another Independent got 5.06%. We don't know how 2014 will work out, it will be very difficult for LePage if he only faces a single left wing opponent. Maine, like Vermont, is a breeding ground for Independent progressivism, so hopefully some other guy will enter the race to split the vote and the Dems won't endorse him.

Libertarians and Tea Partiers in Maine should definitely re-elect him to repay him for helping our movement and embracing some of our positions. If we help him get a second term, maybe Republicans on a federal level will start thinking the same way.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I agree, but I've read places that he's very unpopular and the leftists are probably not going to make the same mistake again.

Quote Originally Posted by supermario21 View Post
    I agree, but I've read places that he's very unpopular and the leftists are probably not going to make the same mistake again.
    We still have 2 years to change that, if we start promoting him now.

No, we won't be able to change the dynamic of a heavily left/Democratic district even if we had 20 years. LePage's best bet is to switch parties and run as the Democrat nominee.
    Last edited by Peace&Freedom; 11-15-2012 at 03:29 PM.
    -----Peace & Freedom, John Clifton-----
    Blog: https://electclifton.wordpress.com/2...back-backlash/

I think Cuccinelli in Virginia would have more clout and is evidently just as good on the issues from what I have seen. LePage needs to be reelected of course.

I supported Cutler in 2010, and I will support him again in 2014.

LePage is not our ally.
    Inactive

List of Liberty-minded candidates for Congress in 2014
    Party: Libertarian (since registration) / Religion: none (Ignostic)

“If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.”
    ― Dhammapada, v. 61

"Asking why there are no Libertarian countries is akin to asking why there are no Atheist Theocracies." - #AncapJackal

Quote Originally Posted by Smart3 View Post

LePage is not our ally.
    He met with Ron personally, his wife was a RP delegate and he boycotted the RNC over the delegation not being seated. How much more of an ally can you be?

That said he probably will not get elected again. He won because the I and D's split the vote. They won't make that mistake again.

Maine is heavily dependent on entitlements and Lepage cut them, it's not looking good.

You have to remember that Maine is a 3 party state. R, D and I. They just elected King as an I.
    Last edited by 69360; 11-15-2012 at 03:58 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    He met with Ron personally, his wife was a RP delegate and he boycotted the RNC over the delegation not being seated. How much more of an ally can you be?

That said he probably will not get elected again. He won because the I and D's split the vote. They won't make that mistake again.

Maine is heavily dependent on entitlements and Lepage cut them, it's not looking good.

You have to remember that Maine is a 3 party state. R, D and I. They just elected King as an I.
    Ok, so he can pull a George Wallace and have his wife run instead. I'll support her.
    Inactive

“If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.”
    ― Dhammapada, v. 61

"Asking why there are no Libertarian countries is akin to asking why there are no Atheist Theocracies." - #AncapJackal

LePage is not our ally.
    I have a feeling you don't like him because he is a Republican.

Is that it or is there another reason?

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaAvenger View Post
    I have a feeling you don't like him because he is a Republican.

Is that it or is there another reason?
    That isn't the primary reason. Although, an Independent I agree with 65% of the time is better than a Republican I agree with 30% of the time.

In terms of current Republican Governors, LePage is one of the better ones, although I prefer Sandoval.
    Inactive

― Dhammapada, v. 61

As of right now, it looks bad for him. 2010 was a super GOP year because 2 years of Obama scared a lot of voters. Maybe 2 years into term #2 will have the same effect and 2014 will also be a super GOP year.

In either case, he may be better off running for Senate in 2014 saying that he will 'take his fiscal conservatism to Washington, in order to get the deficit under control.'
    I ignore the fact that RP's take back the GOP strategy is working. I ignore the fact that RP accomplished more from his 2008 GOP run than he ever has before. I ignore the fact that 3rd party candidates lose and are a joke to voters. I ignore all this b/c I have an arousing fantasy where RP runs 3rd party in 2012, magically polls at 15%, magically is allowed in the debates, and then magically wins the election. Trust me, it'll work this time.
    - The naive attitude of too many RPF members

LePage is not our ally.
    And Cutler is?

http://www.cutler2010.com/issues/

LePage is the most pro-liberty and pro-Ron Paul Governor in the United States.
    Last edited by compromise; 11-15-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 69360 View Post
    Here is how that worked. Check the slate of Romney delegates. You will notice LaPage is also on that slate. Both the Romney and Paul sides decided the proper thing to do was to invite LaPage to be a delegate for the slate.

I see very little chance of LaPage winning again. However, I would enjoy some folks in ME putting a little effort behind his 2014 campaign, if he did run again. I'd rather someone from the Bean family run, as the person might actually have a chance of winning, though.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by compromise View Post
    And Cutler is?

http://www.cutler2010.com/issues/

LePage is the most pro-liberty and pro-Ron Paul Governor in the United States.
    He is the only Governor who is even marginally pro-liberty. So don't say "most".

LePage won't win re-election, nor should he. He hasn't done what he campaigned on. Cutler isn't perfect, but he is far better than just another status-quo Republican or Democrat with no new ideas.

If Moody runs again, I'll personally beat the s--- out of him. Cutler should have had no problem winning in 2010.
    Inactive

― Dhammapada, v. 61

He is the only Governor who is even marginally pro-liberty.
    I don't have any idea how he is actually governing, but some people used to call the governor of ID, Butch Otter, pro-liberty, before he was governor.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    I don't have any idea how he is actually governing, but some people used to call the governor of ID, Butch Otter, pro-liberty, before he was governor.
    With the unfortunate loss of Zach Wamp in 2010's TN R primary, we lost our best shot at a liberty Republican Governor.

Otter is a conservative, and was part of Dr. Paul's Caucus, but I haven't seen any reason to crown him the most pro-liberty Governor in the nation. Will be interesting to see if Labrador can replace Otter in the future.
    Inactive

― Dhammapada, v. 61

With the unfortunate loss of Zach Wamp in 2010's TN R primary, we lost our best shot at a liberty Republican Governor.

Otter is a conservative, and was part of Dr. Paul's Caucus, but I haven't seen any reason to crown him the most pro-liberty Governor in the nation. Will be interesting to see if Labrador can replace Otter in the future.
    What about Pence who just won in IN? I heard he wasn't completely evil

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    What about Pence who just won in IN? I heard he wasn't completely evil
    Pence will support the Legislature putting a constitutional amendment banning marriages on the ballot in 2014. So i have a rather low opinion of him.
    Inactive

― Dhammapada, v. 61

Why don't we run a fake progressive independent who reads out standard leftist talking points?

that would split the vote again for LePage and they would be dumb enough to fall for it too.

Pence will support the Legislature putting a constitutional amendment banning marriages on the ballot in 2014. So i have a rather low opinion of him.
    What's wrong with that? Anything at the state level is fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by supermario21 View Post
    What's wrong with that? Anything at the state level is fine with me.
    Might be fine for you, but it certainly isn't for me. Marriage shouldn't be up to a popular vote. Haven't you heard of the 'tyranny of the majority' ?
    Inactive

― Dhammapada, v. 61

Might be fine for you, but it certainly isn't for me. Marriage shouldn't be up to a popular vote. Haven't you heard of the 'tyranny of the majority' ?
    Disagree with you. Our founders put in place a system where majority rules. The choosing of US Senators (before the 17th Amendment) was by majority rule (the candidate who got the majority was the new senator). It's important to remember that the Constitution was not ratified unanimously either (some dissented)...is that "tyranny of the majority". When voters in Ohio voted by majority that they didn't want Obamacare or when voters in Wisconsin voted to keep Governor Walker by majority against the will of the unions...is this "tyranny of the majority"? To the unions and pro-Obama voters, the majority voting against unions or Obamacare is "tyranny of the majority"

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it is "tyranny of the majority". Just say plainly that you disagree with Governor Pence on this specific issue.

That might be the most distorted description of our founders intent vis a vis majority rule I have ever read. It gives off the impression that government can involve themselves in anything so long as the majority is ok with it.

If you have 5 different people, and 4 of them vote to kill the 5th one, is that ok just because "majority rules"? Come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoa View Post
    Disagree with you. Our founders put in place a system where majority rules. The choosing of US Senators (before the 17th Amendment) was by majority rule (the candidate who got the majority was the new senator). It's important to remember that the Constitution was not ratified unanimously either (some dissented)...is that "tyranny of the majority". When voters in Ohio voted by majority that they didn't want Obamacare or when voters in Wisconsin voted to keep Governor Walker by majority against the will of the unions...is this "tyranny of the majority"? To the unions and pro-Obama voters, the majority voting against unions or Obamacare is "tyranny of the majority"

Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it is "tyranny of the majority". Just say plainly that you disagree with Governor Pence on this specific issue.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoa View Post

You completely mis-understand the phrase 'tyranny of the majority'. A majoritarian vote on peoples' rights, be it women's suffrage, interracial marriage or now same-sex marriage is wrong.

LGT's represent no more than 3% of the population. Putting their rights up to a vote means that 90-97% of voters who are not LGT will have the power to take away their rights. We live in a Republic, not a democracy. This issue should never be voted on by popular vote. It should be dealt with in the courts, and perhaps the legislature so long as there is proof there is support from the people. For instance, Minnesotans gave the Democrats majorities in both houses on election day, this is a clear mandate to pass a marriage equality bill.
    Inactive

― Dhammapada, v. 61

Quote Originally Posted by itshappening View Post
    Why don't we run a fake progressive independent who reads out standard leftist talking points?

that would split the vote again for LePage and they would be dumb enough to fall for it too.
    Good luck finding somebody prominent enough to win a statewide race willing to go along with this.

Cutler isn't perfect, but he is far better than just another status-quo Republican or Democrat with no new ideas.
    You think Cutler's ideas are new? Maybe in the US, but they are essentially the same ideas as those of the European left.

Quote Originally Posted by compromise View Post
    You think Cutler's ideas are new? Maybe in the US, but they are essentially the same ideas as those of the European left.
    I'd rather our politicians are more European than more Talibani.
    Inactive

― Dhammapada, v. 61

I'd rather our politicians are more European than more Talibani.
    So social issues are more important to you than fiscal issues? I'd pick someone like DeMint over a leftist any day.

RE: Obamacare

“I’m not lifting a finger,” Maine Gov. Paul LePage told Bloomberg this week. "We’re not going to get involved. We’re going to let Mr. Obama do a federal exchange. It’s his bill.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz2CakR5E1J

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast