Thread: Montana State Rep. Asks to Be Paid in Gold

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Montana State Rep. Asks to Be Paid in Gold

State Rep. Jerry O’Neil, (R-Mont.), on why he wants the state legislature to pay him in gold coins.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

MT Lawmaker asks to be paid in gold

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1112/83767.html

A Montana state lawmaker is asking that he be paid in gold coins because of his lack of faith in the U.S. dollar amid a rising deficit.
    Jerry O’Neil, a Republican just reelected in his northern Montana district, says his constituents told him he was not honoring his duty to uphold the U.S. Constitution, which O’Neil and Gold Standard supporters say requires the government to print money backed by gold.
    Last edited by ShaneEnochs; 11-15-2012 at 03:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    god damn vipers, all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Krzysztof Lesiak View Post
    Should be MT Lawmaker
    My bad. Fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    god damn vipers, all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaAvenger View Post
    Well, a Ron Paul state senator in Montana.

Think we could run him for office there? Any Montananites on the forum?
    Would be cool to see if he could be a viable candidate for Congress.

Quote Originally Posted by Confederate View Post
    Would be cool to see if he could be a viable candidate for Congress.
    Yes. They have one House seat because of the low population. This past election would have been the time to run, as state house member Steve Daines(R) took over for Rehberg.

Unfortunately Tim Baldwin, Chuck's son, lost 46-54 percent in his state house race. I would like to see him/Chuck run again for something.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaAvenger View Post
    Yes. They have one House seat because of the low population. This past election would have been the time to run, as state house member Steve Daines(R) took over for Rehberg.

Unfortunately Tim Baldwin, Chuck's son, lost 46-54 percent in his state house race. I would like to see him/Chuck run again for something.
    Max Baucus is up for re-election in 2014. He'll probably win, but hopefully the GOP can run a liberty candidate against him.

It's a shame that Tester somehow survived this year.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Asking to be paid on gold is of course a sympolic gesture to try to make a point. He is free to convert his salary to gold once he receives his FR notes.

Montana GOP Rep.: "Pay Me In Gold Before Dollars Have No Value"

Montana GOP Rep.: "Pay Me In Gold Before Dollars Have No Value"
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-1...-have-no-value

Jerry O'Neil, six-term GOP state representative in Montana, has asked to receive his salary (which at $10.33 per hour is around $1800 per month) in gold or silver. The long-standing legislator was driven to this decision by his constituents' concerns about the nation's massive debt-load and fears of our country's collapse as "only so many dollars can be printed before they have no value." The long-time Ron Paul supporter, according to Time, cited Article 1, Section 10 of the US Constitution, which says, in part, that "No State shall... make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts." State administrators have denied his request and added that "a bill could be introduced to accomplish this result." O'Neil, like many other, believes "The Keynesian era of financing government with debt appears to be close to its demise."

From O'Neil's Letter (via HuffPo):

It is very likely the bottom will fall out from under the U.S. dollar. Only so many dollars can be printed before they have no value. The Keynesian era of financing government with debt appears to be close to its demise.

If and when that happens, how can we in the Montana Legislature protect our constituents? -- The only answer I can come up with is to honor my oath to the U.S. Constitution and request that your debt to me be paid in gold and silver coins that will still have value when the U.S. dollar is reduced to junk status. I therefore request my legislative pay to be in gold and silver coins that are unadulterated with base metals.
    Via Time:

A GOP state representative in Montana who asked to receive his salary in gold and silver coins has been rebuffed by the state’s Office of Legislative Services. Rep. Jerry O’Neil, who hails from the small town of Columbia Falls in the northwest corner of the state, sent a letter earlier this month requesting that his salary from here on in be paid in coins.

Given the state of the U.S. economy and the massive national debt, O’Neil reportedly worried that America’s paper currency could be on the brink of collapse. “Only so many dollars can be printed before they have no value,” he explained to the local Daily Inter Lake newspaper. According to USA Today, O’Neil is a longtime supporter of Ron Paul, the former Texas congressman and perennial presidential candidate who advocates a return to the gold standard.

However, it was O’Neil’s constituents who led him to consider requesting his salary in coins. O’Neil has never before raised the subject of how he should be paid during his six terms as state representative for Montana’s Flathead Valley. “My constituents, when I went door to door, one of the things they were interested in was the $17 trillion national debt,” he explained to the Huffington Post. “Some of my constituents said we would not have this problem if we had currency backed by gold.”

Making his case to the Daily Inter Lake, O’Neil cited Article I, Section 10 of the U.S. Constution, which says, in part, that “No State shall… make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts.”

“How can we in the Montana Legislature protect our constituents?” O’Neil asked in his letter to the Office of Legislative Services.

Montana state legislators are paid $10.33 per hour while the legislature is in session; O’Neil estimated his salary to be about $1,800 a month, close to the market value of one 2012 American Eagle One Ounce Gold Proof Coin, according to Politico.

Sheryl Olson, the deputy director of the Montana Department of Administration, told the Huffington Post that state employees are paid either by a state warrant of payment (basically, a check) or via direct deposit. To her knowledge, O’Neil is the only government worker to have requested payment in gold coin, she said.

Montana legislative attorney Jaret Coles responded to O’Neil’s letter last week, informing him that neither the U.S. Constitution nor Montana state law requires an agency to pay its debts with gold and silver, according to the Flathead Beacon. Coles explained in his letter that if a member of the legislature wishes to be paid in gold or silver “a bill could be introduced to accomplish this result,” reports Politico.

O’Neil has decided not to follow through on this advice and is looking into other options.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

It's good when stuff like this comes out, it really will make a lot of people stop and think about just what the dollar is.

Great article about why the establishment Republicans lost in Montana in 2012 -

http://www.yaliberty.org/posts/why-l...ing-in-montana
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Whats the spread on when alqaida will move into montana?
    Ron Paul let the cat out of the bag.

***Random Troll Analysis***Try Not to Engage With Trolls***
    itshappening: Incredibly naive with a hint of Alex Jonestown.
    compromise: Hilarious name states what it wants.
    AuH20: Self-righteous & insightful neocon. Smarter than you. Armed with a thesaurus.

***Honorable Mentions***
    Tpoints, Traditional Conservative, FreedomFanatic, TywinLannister, FreeHampshire, Giuliani was there on 911,
    RandRevolution

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Great article about why the establishment Republicans lost in Montana in 2012 -

http://www.yaliberty.org/posts/why-l...ing-in-montana
    The article is a bit unfair to Rehberg when it calls him a 'Establishment Republican Neocon'. Rehberg was a Liberty Caucus member and had the endorsement of both Ron and Rand Paul. Rehberg wasn't all bad:
    http://rehberg.house.gov/news-releas...f-us-citizens/
    http://rehberg.house.gov/news-releas...g-patriot-act/

How much do state reps make for a salary? Can't be much.