Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: List of Liberty-minded Candidates for US Congress (2014)

Quote Originally Posted by DonVolaric View Post
    http://congress.freedomworks.org/leg...y-l-bentivolio FreedomWorks scorecard for Mr. Bentivolio 43%. This is a done deal!
    There were over 70 C4L members (including a few of us that drove over an hour one way) and associates protesting the Gov on his speech over medicaid expansion at the Westin at 15 mile and Van Dyke (in your district) this last Monday, where were you? Saw Rep Miller signs and I kept asking locals about how the Volaric campaign was doing but not much in the way of a positive response. Perhaps, you paid to get in to the Gov's speech There were plenty of locals that would've been great for you to get in touch with to lit drop and the like.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What about that bryan smith guy whos challenging simpson. Didn't he get endorsed by club4growth?

Eddie McCain (R) SC-2 - (purity: ★★★★★)

He's a former Libertarian Party candidate, now primarying Wilson as a Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by compromise View Post
    Eddie McCain (R) SC-2 - (purity: ★★★★★)

He's a former Libertarian Party candidate, now primarying Wilson as a Republican.
    He needs a website. All I can find is his Facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eddie...9506311​

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Added Eddie McCain and Bryan Smith.
    Inactive

List of Liberty-minded candidates for Congress in 2014
    Party: Libertarian (since registration) / Religion: none (Ignostic)

“If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.”
    ― Dhammapada, v. 61

"Asking why there are no Libertarian countries is akin to asking why there are no Atheist Theocracies." - #AncapJackal

Quote Originally Posted by jurgs01 View Post
    He needs a website. All I can find is his Facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eddie...9506311​
    He's working on it. Should have it up in the next few weeks.

Three potential liberty candidates have announced within the last few days:

Art Halvorson- PA-9 (arthalvorsonforcongress.com)
    - He's primarying incumbent Rep. Bill Schuster, and recently released a statement condemning his vote against the Amash Amendment

Elise Stefanik- NY-21 (http://eliseforcongress.com/)
    -Former Bush Staffer, and apparently was Paul Ryan's debate coach
    -Young, articulate, entrepreneur, and on her campaign website site "constitutional liberty" must be protected
    -Bashed Ron Paul's foreign policy on twitter (to be expected given her background)
    -Running in democratic swing district
    -Potentially worth a couple stars

She also has a pretty good campaign video

Isaac Misiuk- MA-1 (misiukforcongress.com)
    -Home schooled, twenty something
    -Heavy democratic district

Stefanik is running against Bill Owens, a Democrat in New York. Realistically, I have to wonder how good her chances are.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.NoSmile View Post
    Stefanik is running against Bill Owens, a Democrat in New York. Realistically, I have to wonder how good her chances are.
    Owens run reelection by two points last year. If she runs a good campaign, doesn't make any gaffes, then she has a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoa View Post
    Not making excuses for his votes, but it is important to note that Freedomworks did NOT score votes such as CISPA, Amash's (Gibson-Smith) indefinite detention amendment, spending cut amendments to defense department such as the Afghan Infrastructure Fund, all of which we would consider very important and these were votes that Bentivolio voted correctly on. Bentivolio correctly voted to cut $600 million from Pakistan foreign aid. Give him credit where credit is due is my position.

I personally do not mind if he does not connect himself to Ron Paul. He's voted correctly on foreign aid, defense cuts, and is quite strong on liberty issues. Name a liberty issue that he has voted against us on...I can't think of any. He could certainly improve on fiscal issues, but I consider him an ally and think that we have more representatives to pick bones with than with him.
    Unfortunately I can name several. I wouldn't be as upset as I am otherwise.

H.R. 325 - Increased the debt ceiling.
    H.Res. 99 - Continuing Resolution; closed rule prevented any input or amendments from individual members of congress.
    H.R. 933 - Contained the CR; through this they could have defunded Obamacare or made any number of spending reforms.
    H.R. 1947 FARRM - 80% of the trillion dollars of projected spending was to go to food stamps.
    H.R. 807 Full Faith and Credit Act - Raised the debt ceiling and incentivized the government to continue issuing trillions of dollars in new debt.

And to set the record straight regarding the NDAA; Smith-Gibson failed and Kerry STILL voted for it. He says he's more of a Reagan Republican than a Ron Paul Republican. His actions back up his rhetoric. I'm tired of it all.

I continually See Dan Bongino show up on these lists for Maryland. Where are you getting the idea that he is a liberty candidate? He is an Establishment Republican.
    Last edited by PowerOfLiberty; 08-10-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerOfLiberty View Post
    I continually See Dan Bongino show up on these lists for Maryland. Where are you getting the idea that he is a liberty candidate? He is an Establishment Republican.
    Bongino is running for the state legislature this time. Presumably, you recognize that fiscal conservative candidates are really all we need at the state level. So Bongino makes the cut.

but Bongino was first put on the list last election because he was endorsed by Mike Lee. They have roughly identical positions.
    Inactive

“If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.”
    ― Dhammapada, v. 61

"Asking why there are no Libertarian countries is akin to asking why there are no Atheist Theocracies." - #AncapJackal

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smart3 View Post
    Bongino is running for the state legislature this time. Presumably, you recognize that fiscal conservative candidates are really all we need at the state level. So Bongino makes the cut.

but Bongino was first put on the list last election because he was endorsed by Mike Lee. They have roughly identical positions.
    He's running for the state legislature? I thought he was running for the US House.

Quote Originally Posted by

Elise Stefanik- NY-21 ([URL
    http://eliseforcongress.com/[/URL])
    -Young, articulate, entrepreneur, and on her campaign website site "constitutional liberty" must be protected
    -Bashed Ron Paul's foreign policy on twitter (to be expected given her background)

She also has a pretty good campaign video

No idea why should would be considered a liberty candidate in that case. Let's not be endorsing every Republican that announces now.

Halvorson listed Justin Amash as one of the congressmen he considers himself very close to on the issues...unfortunately, he also listed that clown Louie Gohmert. Isaac Misiuk doesn't have any issues page on his website, but he's super young, which I think is a plus, given the age demographics of Congress.
    Last edited by Krzysztof Lesiak; 08-11-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Louie Gohmert is a clown?

Louie Gohmert is one of the best guys in the House and a close personal friend of Rand. Look at his voting record so far this year. CISPA, NDAA, NSA amendment, it's pretty much flawless. On fiscal issues, he has higher FreedomWorks scores than most of the incumbents in the OP's list. With regards to foreign policy, he's been very vocal in his opposition to any US involvement in Syria.

The only reason he isn't in the OP is because Smart3 doesn't agree with some of his socially conservative views.

The liberal media (e.g. The Young Turks) like to go after Gohmert and make him look like a racist, a monster and a moron. If you've ever met him or looked at his voting record, you'll know none of that is true.
    Last edited by compromise; 08-11-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Dan Bongino opposes CISPA, opposes indefinite detention, and supports the Amash amendment (NSA). He also stated that he opposes the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (I posted a video somewhere on this forum). He's very strong on civil liberties.

Quote Originally Posted by pulp8721 View Post
    Elise Stefanik- NY-21 (http://eliseforcongress.com/)
    Any vocal adversary of non-interventionism who also has worked for key GOP insiders is worth zero stars. I don't care how nice her campaign video is, or what lip service she pays to "constitutional liberty". Lots of politicians say they support constitutional liberty, and then they never do. If she were to outline specifics on what constitutional liberty she would support, then at least that would be meaningful. I still wouldn't support her, but it'd show at least she's willing to take a stand for liberty.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

Gohmert is getting better, but he was pretty establishment and anti-freedom back in the Bush years:

http://www.thenewamerican.com/freedo...php?id=G000552

Frank Kuchar is running against Joe Barton again in TX-6.

Carl DeMaio running for CA52
    Last edited by z9000; 04-18-2015 at 09:55 AM.

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have been doing some vetting. These are the non-listed candidates in California that seem to at least lean towards our ideals. What does everyone think (and anyone from their districts have more gouge)?

Doug LeMalfa CA-1
    http://www.douglamalfa.com

Stewart Cilley CA-5
    https://www.facebook.com/StewartCilleyForCongress2012

Johnny Tacherra CA-7
    http://www.johnnyforcongress.com

Joel Marchese CA-53
    http://www.joelforcongress2014.org

Gohmert is getting better, but he was pretty establishment and anti-freedom back in the Bush years:

http://www.thenewamerican.com/freedo...php?id=G000552
    I think it's up in the air whether or not this can be explained simply by partisanry. Maybe he did have a true change of heart, but I'm skeptical.
    The enemy of my enemy may be worse than my enemy.

I do not suffer from Trump Rearrangement Syndrome. Sorry if that triggers you.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Neocon View Post
    I think it's up in the air whether or not this can be explained simply by partisanry. Maybe he did have a true change of heart, but I'm skeptical.
    It's most likely genuine. Rand befriended him personally and then brought him over politically, just as Ron did with Walter Jones. If you've met Gohmert, you'll know he's a very sincere guy and never comes off as slimy or opportunistic (unlike Rubio or Gingrich).

Dan Bongino opposes CISPA, opposes indefinite detention, and supports the Amash amendment (NSA). He also stated that he opposes the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (I posted a video somewhere on this forum). He's very strong on civil liberties.
    None of that was mentioned when he campaigned in Maryland. He sounded like the average militaristic Republican.

Has Bongino even showed interesting in running for senate again? I heard something about him running for governor.
    Last edited by PowerOfLiberty; 08-12-2013 at 03:03 PM.

None of that was mentioned when he campaigned in Maryland. He sounded like the average militaristic Republican.

Has Bongino even showed interesting in running for senate again? I heard something about him running for governor.
    He's running for US House.

I have been doing some vetting. These are the non-listed candidates in California that seem to at least lean towards our ideals. What does everyone think (and anyone from their districts have more gouge)?

Doug LeMalfa CA-1
    http://www.douglamalfa.com

Stewart Cilley CA-5
    https://www.facebook.com/StewartCilleyForCongress2012

Johnny Tacherra CA-7
    http://www.johnnyforcongress.com

Joel Marchese CA-53
    http://www.joelforcongress2014.org
    I didn't see anything on their websites mentioning scaling back the empire, protecting our civil liberties, ending the FED, etc. So no, I won't be. They seem pretty run of the mill.
    Inactive

― Dhammapada, v. 61

Quote Originally Posted by compromise View Post
    He's running for US House.
    The 6th district according to my Google search. That is a lot more feasible than the 5th district.

Also, from the primary debate I got the impression that he did not oppose the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, but favored withdrawing.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't know enough about him, but Greg Raths is running for Congress in California's open 45th district. Raths is a 30 year Marine veteran, achieving the rank of Colonel. He frequently posts on the libertarian-Republican group Republican Liberty Caucus. gregraths2014.com

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelDavis View Post
    I don't know enough about him, but Greg Raths is running for Congress in California's open 45th district. Raths is a 30 year Marine veteran, achieving the rank of Colonel. He frequently posts on the libertarian-Republican group Republican Liberty Caucus. gregraths2014.com
    If I recall, he flunked twice or maybe even thrice when I asked him which Congressmen he would emulate.

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast