Thread: take your mushrooms for a walk

take your mushrooms for a walk

Mushrooms, already a decent source of vitamin D (a really, really important vitamin), become positive powerhouses of vitamin D upon exposure to sunlight:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-s...b_1635941.html

So let your mushrooms have some sun before you eat them.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I had a big bowl of wild oyster mushrooms the other day. Delicious

Interesting. I've researched growing mushrooms but haven't tried it yet.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

I freaking love mushrooms. Canned, fresh, in a jar, whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    god damn vipers, all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneEnochs View Post
    I freaking love the magical ones.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I freaking love the magical ones.
    I hear ya. I couldn't stand mushrooms. I mean I literally get a gag reflex eating them. And then I tried some magic ones... I can eat those puppies up like candy! Been decades ago, but yeah... those were some good eats.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I've never tried any kind of "drug", so I don't know if I like them or not. However, I'm eating some Hongos mushrooms right now, and they're pretty awesome.

EDIT - on a side note, the nutrition label doesn't list Vitamin D, only A and C.
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    god damn vipers, all of them.

damn those things are GROSS, but, since I know they are good for me I hide them in stews. =D

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneEnochs View Post
    My favorite are the ones in a jar, marinated with garlic and vinegar. Other than that--sauteed with garlic and butter, served with a steak.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Delicious dupe.
    Last edited by amy31416; 11-14-2012 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    My favorite are the ones in a jar, marinated with garlic and vinegar. Other than that--sauteed with garlic and butter, served with a steak.
    That was worth posting twice, yummers.....I'm hungry all of a sudden.
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I hear ya. I couldn't stand mushrooms. I mean I literally get a gag reflex eating them. And then I tried some magic ones... I can eat those puppies up like candy! Been decades ago, but yeah... those were some good eats.
    Ackkkk, dem things was nasty. I don't care how you prepared them.

Different strokes I guess, or different varieties maybe.
    "The Patriarch"

It's easy. I've grown $#@!ake, reishi, and turkey tail, among others. Fungi Perfecti is a great source for kits, cultures, and books.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Know your shrooms or end up dead.
    Terminus tela viaticus!

sigh.. allergic to them.. fungus in general - even the magic ones - found that out the hard way
    *itchy scratchy*
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carehn View Post
    VERY true.
    "The Patriarch"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It would be really hard to accidentally grow poisonous mushrooms. But not hard at all to forage poisonous mushrooms.

mushrooms are tasty in pizza and pasta sauce!

majik mushroom spores are legal to own here in NV., across the border in CA not so. I have people calling me asking if I will order some for them......
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

The death cap, just touching them and not washing your hands before you eat can kill you

Marasmius oreades, good to eat.

Years ago when I was in high school I got some books on mushroom picking. Half my interest was looking for magic mushrooms. I quickly decided that Many of the long agonizing death mushrooms looked like edible ones and it was not worth the risk.
    Last edited by Carehn; 11-14-2012 at 10:56 AM.
    Terminus tela viaticus!

The death cap, just touching them and not washing your hands before you eat can kill you

Marasmius oreades, good to eat.

Years ago when I was in high school I got some books on mushroom picking. Half my interest was looking for magic mushrooms. I quickly decided that Many of the long agonizing death mushrooms looked like edible ones and it was not worth the risk.
    You are correct that there are some edibles that look like poisonous species. But there are plenty of choice edibles that look nothing like deadly species. Morels, for example. In any event, mushroom foragers need to look beyond superficial appearances and be careful to use morphological identification keys.

Douse with basalmic vinegar!

Anyone know of an easy way to clean mushrooms? It takes forever, and they sop up the water like a sponge.

You can download cool, old books on mushrooms, and how to grow them from Project Gutenberg.
    http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?query=Mushrooms

We just plugged some logs with oyster and $#@!akke. If they work out I'm going to try some different ones next fall.
    Whatever I can grow, really! Love 'em all.

I'll have to go dig out the old 35mm print of when a friend and I were told to get out of a tree at a public park by a cop while on shrooms. One of my favorite photos. Especially since the taker was another friend who had a quarter ounce of dope in his pocket when he talked the cop into letting him take the picture.

And don't forget the deep fat fried mushrooms.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.