Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 - Run for LOCAL office

2013 - Run for LOCAL office

Except for a few states that hold off-year legislative elections, 2013 will be an opportunity for us to run for local office. Being on a local ballot is get your name out there and should you win, legitimizes you as a candidate for higher office.

Does anyone plan to run for local office in 2013? Selectman / alderman, boards, commissions, etc.

Has anyone ever run before? Served before? Can you share any experiences?

Please use this thread for discussion. Would be nice to have a few people in here to who have won local elections to answer questions.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm either running for School Committee this coming March or Selectman the following March. Either way my eventual goal is to win a spot in the legislature.
    Libertarian Republican trying to help break the one-party state in Massachusetts

Looking for new liberty candidates for 2014 and beyond

mz let me know when and if you file paperwork. i know some activists in mass who can maybe help

That would be awesome, I've been in touch with a number of people but the more the better! Do you by any chance know where they are located? I am in North Andover.
    Libertarian Republican trying to help break the one-party state in Massachusetts

Yeah they're all spread out. You're about halfway between where I work and live

Yeah I'm in NH all the time. Have been tempted at times to run up there instead, but all my connections are here in Mass. Anyhow, thanks a lot for the help and I will be sure to contact you as soon as I've got my plans in place.

to run for state office in nh you need to have lived here at least two years

don't think there is a req't for lcoal office

What questions would you/anyone have to ask? What is there that needs to be known?

Is there a need for a guide for this?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I ran this year and won a seat on the City Council. It's a four year term.

- ML

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Landon View Post

- ML
    How big is your town? Were you in a competitive race?

People in my Republican city caucus keep asking me to run for city council. There's no way I'm going to since I have other commitments and don't even own a house in the city, but I want to learn more about it and what they actually do. In my town, it seems like the city manager is the real leader, plundering the taxpayers.

Quote Originally Posted by EBounding View Post
    How big is your town? Were you in a competitive race?

People in my Republican city caucus keep asking me to run for city council. There's no way I'm going to since I have other commitments and don't even own a house in the city, but I want to learn more about it and what they actually do. In my town, it seems like the city manager is the real leader, plundering the taxpayers.
    3500 people. There are four councilors, with two up for election this year. There were three of us running for two spots, I came in second. When we vote on bills, there are four councilors and the mayor that get votes.

- ML

some advice from a friend:

I think the greatest emphasis must be placed on a solid campaign work ethic by the candidate at any local level. If there are fewer than 15-20,000 voters, the candidate who wants to win cannot afford to not go door to door. If they do that, the cannot afford to not have a memorable handout (in my campaign, I gave out notepads door to door).

Furthermore, candidates who really want to have the edge also cannot forget to personalize the rest of their outreach. Phone efforts should be targeted and personal, and direct mail should also be targeted to whatever extent possible. Sometimes this means personalizing the direct mail in some way, but in larger campaigns that may not be feasible.

I honestly think the reason I won and the reason our folks can win going forward is if we put in more work than the other guy. A lot of candidates for local and even state legislative office simply assume that if they follow the formula, maybe get a good consultant, thats all they really need to do.

The best candidates devote the period of time preceding their primary/election to campaigning, and make as many personal connections with voters as possible.

A campaign message should be memorable by being succinct. Detail is for websites and Q&A sessions, not flyers, handouts, or even stump speeches. Voters will only remember one or two things about most candidates, if even that. If a voter can tell someone else on election day about a position you hold that they agree with, they will almost certainly vote for you, even if they would disagree with everything else if they knew all you stood for.

I know these are general points, I am typing on an iPad. But someone who wants to win any smaller office and is able to articulate themselves and their platform should be able to win a local office.

Dealing with bureaucrats and other elected officials is a much more difficult and frankly frustrating matter. That's for another discussion.

I would run if I understood how to do things once I'm IN the office. My home town is in serious disarray, and I have some ideas of how to fix it. But if I got elected to any kind of office, I'd be afraid I wouldn't know the processes and things.
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    god damn vipers, all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneEnochs View Post
    I would run if I understood how to do things once I'm IN the office. My home town is in serious disarray, and I have some ideas of how to fix it. But if I got elected to any kind of office, I'd be afraid I wouldn't know the processes and things.
    No one knows what the hell they're doing when first elected. If you know the issues, then you're all set.

Most people don't really know the process. If you want to run for city council,start going to their meetings. Start showing up! 90% of politics is just being present.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Landon View Post

- ML
    Great to hear!

Good info at link below. Best to start early.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XvZ0vC4MiJQ

Great thread idea!

I'm planning on running for local office, but unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to get it done in 2013 due to my training schedule with my new employer (out of state for several weeks at a time). There are 2 councilmen in my ward, one is up for re-election April of next year and the other isn't up for re-election until 2015 (4 year terms). In the meantime, I plan to get involved with the local VFW, Rotary Club, Chamber of Commerce, County GOP, and City Council meetings to get a feel for the issues.

I will 2nd the notion that in some smaller cities the City Manager seems to be the real person in charge. That certainly seems to be the case where I'm at.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

The dirty little secret is that none of the other guys you'd serve with know what the hell they're doing, either.

Quote Originally Posted by 1836 View Post
    The dirty little secret is that none of the other guys you'd serve with know what the hell they're doing, either.
    Exactly. And most of them don't have an underlying philosophy. They are easily swayed on some issues.

Good video. She mentions Alex Todorov of Princeton. Two confirming sources below for you junkies.

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/a.../S19/28/30C37/

http://www.mit.edu/~glenz/looking_the_part.pdf

In NH, 1 of the easiest ways to get elected is to attend (while dressed nicely) the town meetings which interest you. Are you interesting in being on the budget committee? Attend town meetings for that committee. Don't talk much. Occasionally, say polite things to people. Often times, before election comes around, someone on that committee will encourage you to file for an upcoming opening on that committee or another committee. Or, if you attend the selectmen meetings (like a town council but with less power), and are friendly with some of the selectmen, 1 of the selectmen may let you know about upcoming openings. Sometimes, there are already openings and all you need to do is volunteer for the position.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    In NH, 1 of the easiest ways to get elected is to attend (while dressed nicely) the town meetings which interest you. Are you interesting in being on the budget committee? Attend town meetings for that committee. Don't talk much. Occasionally, say polite things to people. Often times, before election comes around, someone on that committee will encourage you to file for an upcoming opening on that committee or another committee. Or, if you attend the selectmen meetings (like a town council but with less power), and are friendly with some of the selectmen, 1 of the selectmen may let you know about upcoming openings. Sometimes, there are already openings and all you need to do is volunteer for the position.
    How do you learn procedure? Is that something you just have to pick up, or is it something in a handbook or something that they give you if you're elected? I just don't want to be ineffective, you know?

I would really like to run for the school board. I'm not sure if I have to have a background in education or not.

Here's a list of the current school board: http://boe.cabe.k12.wv.us/BoardofEducation.php

I'm not entirely sure how it works, but going on just what I see there, I would assume there are three spots open already since there's no one for District 3, and only one person representing District 1.

Here's a list of the current school board: http://boe.cabe.k12.wv.us/BoardofEducation.php

I'm not entirely sure how it works, but going on just what I see there, I would assume there are three spots open already since there's no one for District 3, and only one person representing District 1.
    This is what you want to read. http://www.legis.state.wv.us/wvcode/...ap=18&art=5#05

Education is covered by Chapter 18 of the West Virginia code. And County Board of Education is covered by section 5. The law states:

"§18-5-1. Supervision and control of county school districts;

number, nomination and election of members.

Each county school district shall be under the supervision and control of a county board of education, which shall be composed of five members, nominated and elected by the voters of the respective county without reference to political party affiliation. No more than two members shall be elected from the same magisterial district."

So there is not an opening unless one of those currently serving does not seek reelection. Contact your county auditor to see which board members will be up for election. Some or all of them could be up. I'm from Iowa so it's probably different in WV.

Here is a resource I just found http://americanmajority.org/training/

You should also check out anything by The Leadership Institute.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you think you have a serious "political career" then only run for office if you see a path to victory.

Otherwise, be sure you are running to accomplish one or all of the following

- building name recognition for a future run
    - calling attention to a specific issue out there
    - causing pain to an incumbant
    - getting an opponent on record saying something they don't want to say, or defending somethign they don't want to
    - building lists / organization
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    Exactly. And most of them don't have an underlying philosophy. They are easily swayed on some issues.
    Unfortunately, most of the local officials around will laugh at your philosophy before they listen to it.

The staff members in local governments will have much more power swaying your colleagues than you will. As will angry groups of favored citizens, upset about this or that program being potentially changed or defunded.

However, if you hold fast by your principles, you will be rewarded with the support of the most important group – the public.

Quote Originally Posted by shemdogg View Post
    hold fast!!
    can i let go slow?

In nh the filing period begins next week

Running for School Committee in my town this Spring.

http://www.mezzinaschoolcommittee.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast