Thread: FiveThirtyEight on the 2014 Senate

FiveThirtyEight on the 2014 Senate

Can Republicans Win the Senate in 2014?
    By NATE SILVER
    Democrats, faced with a daunting set of Senate races in 2012, not only survived but thrived, adding two seats to their majority.

The party will face a difficult map again in 2014, however. Twenty-one of the 35 seats up for election are now held by Democrats. Moreover, most the states that will be casting ballots for the Senate in 2014 are Republican leaning: 7 of the 21 Democratic-held seats are in states carried by the former Republican presidential nominee, Mitt Romney, while just one of the Republican seats is in a state won by President Obama.

Democrats could also suffer from the downside to presidential coattails. Most of the seats up for grabs in 2014 were last contested in 2008, a very strong Democratic year. Without having Mr. Obama on the ballot, and with an electorate that is likely to be older and whiter than in presidential years, some Democrats may find that their 2008 coattails have turned into a midterm headwind instead.

Are the conditions favorable enough to make Republicans odds-on favorites to gain six seats and win the Senate majority? Not quite. Six seats are a lot to gain, and Republicans are at risk of nominating subpar candidates in a number of races. But it would not take all that much to tip the balance toward them.
    more: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes...enate-in-2014/
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He seems super positive that even a no-namer could replace Levin and far be it from me to know anymore about it than he. Maybe this report will turn JAmash away from vying for Senate. I'm just stunned by how sure Nate is about this. I get the GOP branding problems and all but it would just seem the turnout would mirror the '10 elections where a large portion of dems wouldn't show. If they weren't excited to turnout for Snyder's opponent I can't see them that excited for some random they pick out of a primary. I mean, they haven't had a primary for this sort of thing in a while.

Nate is no pundit. He's a statistician.

2014 will be a GOP year as long as there are no Akins.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    When Freedom is Outlawed, only Outlaws will have Freedom.

There were Akins in both 2010 and 2012. There will be even more in 2014.
    Inactive

List of Liberty-minded candidates for Congress in 2014
    Party: Libertarian (since registration) / Religion: none (Ignostic)

“If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.”
    ― Dhammapada, v. 61

"Asking why there are no Libertarian countries is akin to asking why there are no Atheist Theocracies." - #AncapJackal

Other than Paul Broun, I'm not really worried about any Akins surfacing. Amash isn't an Akin, same with Brannon, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by supermario21 View Post
    Nate is no pundit. He's a statistician.
    Agreed. At this point in time, Nate's opinion is useless. He only becomes relevant once serious polling begins.
    Libertarian Republican trying to help break the one-party state in Massachusetts

Looking for new liberty candidates for 2014 and beyond

Quote Originally Posted by supermario21 View Post
    Other than Paul Broun, I'm not really worried about any Akins surfacing. Amash isn't an Akin, same with Brannon, etc.
    If the crazies run against Capito and win the primary, that'd be another Akin.

There's also Tim Donnelly in California.
    Inactive

List of Liberty-minded candidates for Congress in 2014
    Party: Libertarian (since registration) / Religion: none (Ignostic)

“If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.”
    ― Dhammapada, v. 61

"Asking why there are no Libertarian countries is akin to asking why there are no Atheist Theocracies." - #AncapJackal

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Tim Donnelly isn't going to win, and at this point nobody has emerged to take on Capito. I'm sure there will be some Akins, but if they are in safe Republican or safe Democratic seats it really won't matter.