Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No More Twinkies for You! Hostess Going Out of Business

No More Twinkies for You! Hostess Going Out of Business

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Hostess Brands -- the maker of such iconic baked goods as Twinkies, Devil Dogs and Wonder Bread -- announced Friday that it is asking a federal bankruptcy court for permission to close its operations, blaming a strike by bakers protesting a new contract imposed on them.

The closing will result in Hostess' nearly 18,500 workers losing their jobs as the company shuts 33 bakeries and 565 distribution centers nationwide. The bakers' union represents around 5,000.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/16/news...ing/index.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A bad nutritionally as this stuff is I still love it!

Sad day...

Don't worry though, Wally-World or some Eastern company will pick up the pieces, fire the union employees, cut quality corners and ramp up production...

Yeah heard this on National Proletariat Radio this morning.

Hostess, Checker Cab.... any other examples of companies folding due to union activity?
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Yeah heard this on National Proletariat Radio this morning.

Hostess, Checker Cab.... any other examples of companies folding due to union activity?
    Checker too?

That really sucks, far as I know they were the last "real" car company....You know 18ga metal and full frames...

ooooo where do we go to get one of those old checkers?????
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

I posted this yesterday.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...y-last-forever

seeing as my thread died and this one floats... what do you guys think of this slant:

management was trying to make union workers the scapegoats for a plan by "Wall Street investors" to sell off Hostess.

The union said the private equity and hedge funds that control Hostess did not live up to promises to modernize plants and trucks but

grew the company's debt

while rewarding themselves financially.
    That sounds like the Bain method to me.
    Last edited by presence; 11-16-2012 at 04:55 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

sorry.. I missed most of yesterday.. husband had surgery
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    ooooo where do we go to get one of those old checkers?????
    Read wiki for a bit and it sounds like the 80's were the last year of full production, kind of hard to decipher but Checker may still have been stamping out replacement "parts" in one factory or another into this century...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Silly goose. Do you REALLY expect people to USE the search feature BEFORE posting? Really?
    Freedom Report

Twitter Page

"I am convinced that there are more threats to American liberty within the 10 mile radius of my office on Capitol Hill than there are on the rest of the globe." -- Ron Paul

Perhaps BIMBO could take over. I know they're trying to purchase the Sara Lee Bakery close to where I grew up. Oh the memories of rushing to the bakery store after school. The packages were all fogged over because the product had come straight off the line.

I say that the non-union employees should treat the union workers like "scabs". Give 'em a taste of their own medicine.

Hostess may be going out of business. But you'll still be able to buy their Twinkies at garage sales for centuries to come.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarLocke View Post
    I say that the non-union employees should treat the union workers like "scabs". Give 'em a taste of their own medicine.
    I'm not against unions, not for them either...If they help management and employees come to an equitable agreement that serves both parties then cool..

It's when neither side is willing to budge in order to get the job done that I have problems with both sides...

Forget twinkies, I miss their cousin the chocodile... It has been ages my dear friend.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    Forget twinkies, I miss their cousin the chocodile... It has been ages my dear friend.
    This mythical creature...I must have it.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I'm not against unions, not for them either...If they help management and employees come to an equitable agreement that serves both parties then cool..

It's when neither side is willing to budge in order to get the job done that I have problems with both sides...
    I'm not anti-union across the board, but my acceptance rate of them is very low. I grew up watching unions bully my father every day. My dad has a monk-like calmness about him and unions are the only thing that has brought him to fisticuffs (well that and my sister's loser boyfriends).

I am similarly indifferent to unions... my only gripe is laws that give unions special privileges that non-union employees would not have or limit the flexibility of the employer.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarLocke View Post
    This mythical creature...I must have it.
    caveat: I have not used this site.
    http://freshchocodiles.com/

But I think I just might, my child should not have to go through life without ever having a chocodile.

It's why there should be competing unions. IN this instance, the Teamsters agreed to the new deal, but the bakers went on strike. (Seriously? Word to the wise - if the Teamsters take the deal, and you don't, you're really being unreasonable.)

If there were a couple of bakers unions competing....of course, since we don't have much in the way of jobs these days anyway...
    Last edited by angelatc; 11-16-2012 at 09:17 AM.

lCKSNZbghlubks;/bjv XCVghcfhEIQ:F.DIY;AB BVNP)OO NOOOOOOOOOOOPOPOOOOOOOOOOO
    F S A POCHKVSCFZBVXU9-Y8HIPUBCGY9FQEGD

I don't see how anyone is going to survive the nuclear holocaust without any twinkies.

This is a sad day

The company was poorly run and should have been shut down. It was shut down. This is more markets are supposed to work. Better run companies like the Mexican based Bimbo and the Georgia based Flowers will expand. In fact, I know a guy who works for Flowers and he said that his company just took on an additional 3 feet of bread space in an area grocery store chain.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bernanke View Post
    I don't see how anyone is going to survive the nuclear holocaust without any twinkies.

This is a sad day
    Ron Paul people will survive. Zombieland fans will not.
    For the Republic! For the Cause!
    The Truth About Central Banking and Business Cycles
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaxIPPMR3fI#t=186

There are two of these plants in my area, the people that voted for the strike did so due to pension cuts , not the health increase , not the pay cuts.I think it was a poor decision, but , hey just my take.
    Last edited by oyarde; 11-16-2012 at 11:51 AM.

I don't know from Twinkies, never had one. But no more Zingers? No more HoHo's? No more of those cupcakes with the creamy filling and rubbery, but delicious frosting with the crunchy curlycues?

This is a tragedy.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    I don't know from Twinkies, never had one. But no more Zingers? No more HoHo's? No more of those cupcakes with the creamy filling and rubbery, but delicious frosting with the crunchy curlycues?

This is a tragedy.
    Ya those are the best. Not that I've had one in several years. Not that they aren't available for about a dollar in a vending machine about 100 feet from my cubicle where I work every day. But they are the best.

*Runs to vending machine*
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Not that I've had one in several years.
    Yeah right. Stoners like you are what kept them in business this long.

Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    Yeah right. Stoners like you are what kept them in business this long.
    At 6'1" and 144 lbs. I guess it's no wonder they went out of business.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

At 6'1" and 144 lbs. I guess it's no wonder they went out of business.
    What do you eat when you get the munchies? Prunes?

Ya those are the best. Not that I've had one in several years. Not that they aren't available for about a dollar in a vending machine about 100 feet from my cubicle where I work every day. But they are the best.

*Runs to vending machine*
    Haven't had one in years either, but that is serious nostalgia food for me. Mom used to occasionally pack them in the lunchbox as a special treat. I might have to buy one when I go to the store today, just to mop up my tears.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Haven't had one in years either, but that is serious nostalgia food for me. Mom used to occasionally pack them in the lunchbox as a special treat. I might have to buy one when I go to the store today, just to mop up my tears.
    They don't taste as good as they used to. I don't know if they changed, or my tastes changed, or both.

But here we are, admitting that we haven't had any in years, while speculating why the company failed. Duh.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast