Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we stop saying Republicans lost because of social issues.

Quote Originally Posted by nasaal View Post
    Semantics have no place in this debate. People choose to hate republicans when they make a big deal of social issues.
    Well YES SIR!!!! (snaps a crisp salute)

"The Patriarch"

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butchie View Post
    You keep thinking that buddy. If the GOP embraces abortion and gay marriage I promise you they will never win another election, ever.

Funny, I watched MSNBC and FOX news a week before the election just to test this theory, FOX spent about 10% of it's time talking about gays and abortion, MSNBC spent over 60% of it's time speaking about those issues, was just my own personal test, but try it yourself, see who brings it up more. Libs spend FAR more time talking about those issues than cons do.
    Try radio shows. That's where you get the brunt of it. And yes many many listen to them. Keep believing that this country is split down the middle.

No, I do not believe social issues were the cause of the loss. There are more pro-lifers than pro-choicers in America. That being said, many of the pro-lifers are fiscally left wing blacks, Latinos or Irish/Italian Northeasterners who would not consider a Republican.

One of the main reasons was how terrible the campaign was. It was totally disorganized. Many county Republican parties, even those in swing states, got hardly any yard signs and bumper stickers.

The biggest reason was that Romney lacked the ability to draw up a large, passionate, dedicated supporter base. This is something that Reagan, Obama, Clinton and to a lesser extent even George W Bush successfully managed to do. A lot of people who voted Romney voted for him because he was not Obama. Romney is not the sort of candidate that gets anyone excited. Remember the Romney-Ryan rally where everyone just wanted to see Ryan and no one cared about Romney?
    Last edited by compromise; 11-13-2012 at 11:52 AM.

I think the social issues are a turnoff to voters.

Interestingly Hispanics and African Americans seem to be more conservative on social issues, but yet they still voted for Obama in mass numbers.

Personally I don't see how gay marriage is harmful to society and I see no reason why that shouldn't be allowed, unless someone can show me how it deprives the freedom of other people, or undermines the concept of family.

I think Republicans lose youth votes due to their stance on gay marriage and marijuana legalization. I know it sounds silly, but if we had a nominee in 2016 who was for pot legalization and the Democratic candidate was against it, then the Republican would get a more significant portion of the youth vote imo.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin View Post
    Interestingly Hispanics and African Americans seem to be more conservative on social issues, but yet they still voted for Obama in mass numbers.
    Not a surprise there. The Democrat propagandists also lied and told people that any non-Democrat is a racist.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by RockEnds View Post
    Well, the democrats demonized children conceived in rape. According to their rhetoric, all women should unilaterally despise any child conceived under such circumstances. I don't think the GOP even noticed. They could have played on that.

Personally, I don't see anything either liberal or conservative about sticking one's business in another's uterus.
    They aren't demonizing the children. They're demonizing the act of rape, and saying women shouldn't be forced to have to go through the turmoil of having to first give birth to, and then raise, a living memory of that violence. If the Republicans tried to play that off as Dems 'demonizing' the actual children, they'd look absolutely ridiculous, because that's not even remotely what is being said and anyone who is remotely sympathetic to the victims of rape would see right through it.
    "Ron Paul, not going anywhere. Ideologically pure and tough as nails!"

ABO + NOBP = Ron Paul
    Romney - NOBP = Obama

Post Election Addendum -
    We warned you. You insulted and cheated us. You lost. Your fault.

Quote Originally Posted by affa View Post
    They aren't demonizing the children. They're demonizing the act of rape, and saying women shouldn't be forced to have to go through the turmoil of having to first give birth to, and then raise, a living memory of that violence. If the Republicans tried to play that off as Dems 'demonizing' the actual children, they'd look absolutely ridiculous, because that's not even remotely what is being said and anyone who is remotely sympathetic to the victims of rape would see right through it.
    Why doesn't someone ask the children of rape if they would have rather been aborted?
    "The Patriarch"

ETA - NVM, I see Gunny has already adroitly addressed this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Traditional Conservative View Post
    The bottom line is that President Obama won re-election because 50% of the American people approved of his job performance on election day. That's the percentage of the vote he received nation wide. 50% of the American people support adding 6 trillion dollars in debt, starting additional wars, locking up Americans without giving them a trial, increasing regulations on American businesses, and giving out free abortion and contraception to anyone who wants it. Like Ron Paul said, our country is far gone.
    This is not quite true.

Half of the people that bothered to register their name with the state and stand in line and cast a ballot in this worthless charade were in favor of O-bomb-ya.

Half of those were opposed.

58 million people decided the fate of the rest of us.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 11-13-2012 at 01:38 PM.

About as rediculous as the left constantly saying that Rep were claiming rape was god's will, which was not what the guy actually meant, certainly not what Republicans as a whole believe, but they ran with that football anyway.
    Last edited by Butchie; 11-13-2012 at 01:52 PM.
    Golden Rule? Booooo. Go back to Texas!

Romney won white women and white men.

Obama did ridiculously well with black women.

Blacks are 12.4% of the populations.

Black women were 8% of the voters and Obama got 96% of the black women.

Since we're playing "guess the future" or "what should be done", it's worth noting that the historic first black president will not be running next time, and the Democrats
    will not get 96% of 8%.

The Democrats also won't get 100% of the vote in many many precincts in OH and PA, or over 100% in parts of FL.

So, factor that in as well.

I haven't posted this analysis yet, so, here goes.

White men (34%) 35% 62% 3%
    120 M X 34% = 40.8 MILLION VOTED
    40.8 M X 35% = 14.28
    40.8 M X 62% = 25.296
    11.016 MORE ROMNEY

White women (38%) 42% 56% 2%
    120 M X 38% = 45.6 MILLION VOTED
    45.6 M X 42% = 19.152
    45.6 M X 56% = 25.536
    6.384 MORE ROMNEY

17.4 MORE ROMNEY

Black men (5%) 87% 11% 2%
    120 M X 5% = 6 MILLION VOTED
    6 M X 87% = 5.22
    6 M X 11% = .66
    4.56 MORE OBAMA

Black women (8%) 96% 3% 1%
    120 M X 8% = 9.6 MILLION VOTED
    9.6 M X 96% = 8.64 MILLION VOTED FOR OBAMA
    9.6 M X 3% = .288 MILLION VOTED FOR ROMNEY
    8.352 M = MORE BLACK WOMEN VOTED FOR OBAMA

Latino men (5%) 65% 33% 2%
    6 M X 65% = 3.9
    6 M X 33% = 1.98
    1.92 M MORE OBAMA

Latino women (6%) 76% 23% 1%
    120 M X 6% = 7.2 MILLION VOTED
    7.2 M X 76% = 5.472
    7.2 M X 23% = 1.656
    3.816 M MORE OBAMA

All other races (5%) 66% 31% 3%
    6 M X 66% = 3.96
    6 M X 31% = 1.86
    2.1 M MORE OBAMA

20.748 M MORE OBAMA

3.348 MARGIN OF VICTORY.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    There's a big difference between social conservatism and having the government dictate social conservatism. The first is real conservatism, the second is progressivism for a different cause.
    Well the small federal government position on abortion and gay marriage is leave it up to the states. I haven't seen many democrats grab hold of that argument. Have you?

Back to the OP, Mitt Romney got less votes overall than did McCain and Mitt Romney is more socially liberal than McCain. That should tell you something. Romney sucked as a candidate, period. Does anyone here honestly think John Huntsman could have beat Obama? Huntsman certainly wouldn't have gotten any Ron Paul votes. And I bet even more conservatives would have stayed home.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

I bet any republican who answered the question about abortion for rape victims by saying "I'm conflicted about this. But I don't think a child conceived of rape deserves the death penalty." it would be hard for dems to demonize them. Certainly that wouldn't play well for them dems to use that as a soundbite.

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    Why doesn't someone ask the children of rape if they would have rather been aborted?
    Unfortunately, that isn't really part of the equation since it doesn't address the belief divide between factions. Some think it's life from conception. Some don't. And that divide makes communication between most people on either side impossible since they're talking different languages.

ABO + NOBP = Ron Paul
    Romney - NOBP = Obama

Post Election Addendum -

Unfortunately, that isn't really part of the equation since it doesn't address the belief divide between factions. Some think it's life from conception. Some don't. And that divide makes communication between most people on either side impossible since they're talking different languages.
    You're missing the point. It's not about "bridging the divide". It's about controlling the debate. If you're pro choice you want the debate focused solely on the mother. Those who are pro life can only engage meaningfully in the debate if they shift the focus to the child. The people that need to be communicated to are those in the middle. Those on the extremes aren't going to listen anyway.

Rape is evil, so is abortion. So are liberals, for that matter. Using rape for political gain - shameless.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Well the small federal government position on abortion and gay marriage is leave it up to the states. I haven't seen many democrats grab hold of that argument. Have you?
    I would never have said this during the campaign, but there was a time when I would have voted for Romney. There's a clip of him out there getting angry, andefending his religion and position on abortion. He said that while he personally was pro-life, the position of the church was that they don't exist to force other people into behaving to their standards.

ANd that's exactly the role of religion in politics, IMHO. If ir guides him as a leader, but he believes that God gives us free will and therefore our morality is our responsibility, I can live with that.

I'm sure said person is happy to know they aren't part of the equation.
    "The Patriarch"

In all of these discussions it's "mother/child" ....Well what about the father?

I get so sick of the subject of abortion being discussed without any consideration given to the father, like he's a non-entity who's rights/opinions and legal standing have already been discounted.

Not all fathers are "Sperm Donors" as both sides would lead one to believe with their rhetoric..

Sad!

You're missing the point. It's not about "bridging the divide". It's about controlling the debate. If you're pro choice you want the debate focused solely on the mother. Those who are pro life can only engage meaningfully in the debate if they shift the focus to the child. The people that need to be communicated to are those in the middle. Those on the extremes aren't going to listen anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I'm sure said person is happy to know they aren't part of the equation.
    Well, they aren't. Nor are adopted children. Nobody is arguing that they would, if asked, want to be aborted. It's missing the crux of the debate.

ABO + NOBP = Ron Paul
    Romney - NOBP = Obama

Post Election Addendum -

While I don't totally disagree, I think you're missing one key point -- most people pro-choice don't "want the debate focused solely on the mother" for three reasons.
    1) they don't consider the 'mother' a 'mother' yet.
    2) they don't consider the 'child' a 'child' yet.
    3) they view the unborn as a non-entity in the discussion.

My point is that you're framing it in language most here already agree with. But someone pro-choice isn't thinking about the 'mother', they're thinking about the 'woman' that just went through a traumatic rape and now is stuck with an unwanted non-life they're going to have to feel grow in their body for nine months before giving birth to a living symbol of that rape.

It's an impossible situation and ultimately, it's why the rape topic will always be a hot topic, because it brings the conversation to an absolute boil where too many button issues touch to have sane, rational discussion with most people (unless you already agree with them, of course).
    Last edited by affa; 11-13-2012 at 05:01 PM.

ABO + NOBP = Ron Paul
    Romney - NOBP = Obama

Post Election Addendum -

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well, they aren't. Nor are adopted children. Nobody is arguing that they would, if asked, want to be aborted. It's missing the crux of the debate.
    Well that just $#@!ing hilarious. Do youwant to be aborted today?
    "The Patriarch"

Republicans didn't lose for any one single reason. That being said, social issues is surely among those reasons. Of course, this type of inconsistency within the GOP and 'conservatives' is nothing new. Stay out of our wallets, but you're welcome in our bedroom! Freedom is good, but we don't mind sacrificing it for the 'war on terrorism' or the 'war on drugs'! Stop interfering in the 'free market', but lets subsidize the military-industrial complex! We don't like the welfare state, but by all means proceed with the warfare state! And so on and so forth... This is not to say the Democrats don't have their own abundance of inconsistencies as well.
    Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

I think the "social issues" are a big part of why the GOP is having trouble. You can say it wasn't a "disaster," but you'd have to be one hell of a spin-meister to say the Republicans did well.

In a lot of ways, the GOP should have done really well this year. Polls show that Americans are becoming concerned about the size of the government and the deficit, so it should have been a good year for fiscal conservatives (a small number of Republicans) and those pretending to be fiscal conservatives (most Republicans).

Plus, they were running against a weak President in a bad economy.

But the GOP keeps hammering what I like to call their "anti" message. They are anti-gay, anti-black, anti-immigrant, anti-drug, anti-Hispanic, anti-Jew (or any other religion other than Christianity, and preferably only Protestant Christianity), anti-atheist, anti-science, etc. Frankly, their message comes across as something more appropriate to 1950 than 2012.

That's a problem. Because minority numbers are rising rapidly in this country. Gays are becoming accepted by mainstream America. Even the anti-drug stuff is failing, with more and more states legalizing drugs to one degree or another (yeah, I know, Dems are mostly for the insane "War on Drugs" too, but Republicans have the reputation of being hard asses about it).

Yes, there are a lot of other reasons Romney lost, but the "anti" message was certainly a part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabal View Post
    Republicans didn't lose for any one single reason. That being said, social issues is surely among those reasons. Of course, this type of inconsistency within the GOP and 'conservatives' is nothing new. Stay out of our wallets, but you're welcome in our bedroom! Freedom is good, but we don't mind sacrificing it for the 'war on terrorism' or the 'war on drugs'! Stop interfering in the 'free market', but lets subsidize the military-industrial complex! We don't like the welfare state, but by all means proceed with the warfare state! And so on and so forth... This is not to say the Democrats don't have their own abundance of inconsistencies as well.
    You honestly buy that? So, if I'm to understand you correctly if Romney and all the GOP Senators who lost had embraced gay marriage they would have won? Too funny.

As to your second quote, I don't know anyone in the GOP who is wanting to go in anyone's bedroom. The issue is marriage, which is far from being relegated to the bedroom. Suprised how many RP supporters/libertarians resort to liberal demagoguery when it comes to this issue and abortion.
    Last edited by Butchie; 11-14-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by libertariantexas View Post
    I think the "social issues" are a big part of why the GOP is having trouble. You can say it wasn't a "disaster," but you'd have to be one hell of a spin-meister to say the Republicans did well.

In a lot of ways, the GOP should have done really well this year. Polls show that Americans are becoming concerned about the size of the government and the deficit, so it should have been a good year for fiscal conservatives (a small number of Republicans) and those pretending to be fiscal conservatives (most Republicans).

Plus, they were running against a weak President in a bad economy.

But the GOP keeps hammering what I like to call their "anti" message. They are anti-gay, anti-black, anti-immigrant, anti-drug, anti-Hispanic, anti-Jew (or any other religion other than Christianity, and preferably only Protestant Christianity), anti-atheist, anti-science, etc. Frankly, their message comes across as something more appropriate to 1950 than 2012.

That's a problem. Because minority numbers are rising rapidly in this country. Gays are becoming accepted by mainstream America. Even the anti-drug stuff is failing, with more and more states legalizing drugs to one degree or another (yeah, I know, Dems are mostly for the insane "War on Drugs" too, but Republicans have the reputation of being hard asses about it).

Yes, there are a lot of other reasons Romney lost, but the "anti" message was certainly a part of it.
    Pro-drug is more popular than Pro-Gay.

And the Republicans have social issues they can run on against the Democrats. Gay might be a little less than 50/50 - still against, but something like transsexuals is something that the Democrats embrace, but Americans don't.

Quote Originally Posted by libertariantexas View Post
    Really, what do Republicans do that is "anti-gay, anti-black, anti-immigrant, anti-Hispanic, anti-Jew anti-atheist, anti-science" - I'll give you anti-drug, but did I see correctly you said "Anti-Jew"?!?!?!? I guess you miss where Rep are kissing Israels butt every chance they get.

I could just as easily say that Democrats are "anti-white, anti-hetero, anti-male, anti-Israel, anti-business, anti-Christian, anti-military, anti-America......", see, it's easy.
    Last edited by Butchie; 11-13-2012 at 06:27 PM.

You honestly buy that? So, if I'm to understand you correctly if Romney and all the GOP Senators who lost had embraced gay marriage they would have won? Too funny.
    Actually, if you're to understand Cabal correctly, you probably need to read ALL of what he said, not just cherry-picked bits & pieces. Let's try again:

Republicans didn't lose for any one single reason. That being said, social issues is surely among those reasons. [...]
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

As to your second quote, I don't know anyone in the GOP who is wanting to go in anyone's bedroom.
    I don't either. Where does all this "bedroom" talk come from? I've never heard a politician talk about regulating what people do in their bedrooms.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Gay Marriage is like foot ball when you are invested in it, one side seems to be MUCH MORE AWESOME and ORGASMIC than the other. Then when you pan out, both sides look like total $#@!ing idiots. Even the Mercatus center doesn't even give a $#@! about Gay Marriage.

Connotations include, but not limited to: sex, marriage, household privacy, drug use, medical decisions, and so on.
    Radical in the sense of being in total, root-and-branch opposition to the existing political system and to the State itself. Radical in the sense of having integrated intellectual opposition to the State with a gut hatred of its pervasive and organized system of crime and injustice. Radical in the sense of a deep commitment to the spirit of liberty and anti-statism that integrates reason and emotion, heart and soul. - M. Rothbard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast