Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Kristol admits Ron (and Rand) Paul supporters are the future of the GOP

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneButPaul View Post
    And i'll state again... how could the bolded been done outside of the GOP?

What people here don't understand, and what even Ron doesn't understand, is being a national political figure gives you the GREATEST AUDIENCE to educate. Without Ron debating on the national stage in 2007 we'd still be lost.

Without the platform that was given there would have been no education to anyone.
    Yes, once. To get a fire started you may need to douse it with lighter fluid. But be careful! If you keep dousing it, it's likely to blow up in your face.

Politics corrupts. The freedom message is not new to politics. It got corrupted and co-opted and eventually totally removed from the mainstream. The fire is now going strong and a bully pulpit that is controlled by those who would seek to destroy this message is no longer needed. It will not serve our purposes well at all.

It's like saying, "Anti-biotics cured me of strep throat! Everyone should be on anti-biotics all the time! That is how we cure the world!"

No.
    Last edited by Nate-ForLiberty; 11-12-2012 at 06:31 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So because politics corrupts we should just not go that route at all even though it gives us by far the best chance to reach the most people and was a crazy successful route for Ron Paul and all the other Liberty Republicans that were elected last Tuesday?

I happen to think 2million primary voters is not enough... we need to keep educating the masses and that's best done with a political platform where the masses come to you.
    It's just an opinion... man...

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And i'll state again... how could the bolded been done outside of the GOP?

What people here don't understand, and what even Ron doesn't understand, is being a national political figure gives you the GREATEST AUDIENCE to educate. Without Ron debating on the national stage in 2007 we'd still be lost.

Without the platform that was given these past 2 elections there would have been no educating anyone to the degree Ron did.

If you want to educate the masses then you've got to get the masses together to listen... that's best done within a party structure.

If you went door to door the rest of your life preaching the message you wouldn't get as far as Ron did by having millions watching him debate.

Ideas are VERY important, but without a real platform to give those ideas you'll never get anywhere...
    I don't see what is so hard to understand about that. RP pretty much said that if he didn't have the GOP then no one have heard hid message in 2008.

+ rep

So because politics corrupts we should just not go that route at all even though it gives us by far the best chance to reach the most people?

I happen to think 2million primary voters is not enough... we need to keep educating the masses and that's best done with a political platform where the masses come to you.
    Well, do you want to keep the message of Liberty from being turned into the message of "Freedoms" which have to be "defended" from "terrorists"? or some such non-sense? In other words, and in Paul's words, YES. Get yourself and everyone you know out of politics. Delegitimize the system and it won't have any power anymore. Our best chance to reach the most people is to talk with those people in our lives. If everyone on this forum converted just two people, those two people will then convert another two people and so on, 10's of millions would be converted in a far less amount of time than if we tried to convert people by electing politicians.

Educating masses does not happen through politics. Ron Paul was the exception. To try and make him the Rule is complete folly. Ron Paul knows this. He's tried to get other people to see it. His mistake, though, is the same mistake most parents commit with their children. "Do as I say and not as I do." People who follow (as children do) will always ignore the saying and simply imitate the doing. Which leads to history repeating.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrock View Post
    I don't see what is so hard to understand about that. RP pretty much said that if he didn't have the GOP then no one have heard hid message in 2008.

+ rep
    I already addressed this argument in the previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate-ForLiberty View Post
    I already addressed this argument in the previous post.
    You seem to think we are cured. I think we are far from it. The GOP is currently the delivery method for the antibiotics. I feel that what you are advocating is stopping treatment a quarter of the way through.

You seem to think we are cured. I think we are far from it. The GOP is currently the delivery method for the antibiotics. I feel that what you are advocating is stopping treatment a quarter of the way through.
    You may have a good point here. And I'll have to think about that. Right now I don't think this is true because it is not political action that will save the people of America. Minds have to be changed and political action is more of a hindrance to this than a benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Interesting. My mother called me and told me she heard a similar conversation on the radio. (Republicans saying "Maybe we compromise on social issues like abortion" and saying "Ron Paul" in the same breath.) Here's the irony. Ron Paul is rock solid on conservative social issues! It's harder to get more "pro life" than Ron Paul without going crazy like Santorum. It's the wars stupid! (I'm glad someone brought up the foreign policy issue). It's also civil liberties. Does who can marry who even resonate in a country where American citizens can be detained without trial or even extra-judicially killed? Does your marital status even matter if you are illegally detained or on a kill list?
    I think Fox purposely tries to insinuate that the Paul's are social liberals because they know that will hurt them within the party. I generally prefer a 10th amendment policy on social issues, except abortion, but I don't think they're the millstone many people think they are. Bush got more votes in 2004 than Obama did in 2012 and a lot of that was because of social issues. The religious right actually brought voters to the party that were not necessarily all that interested in economic policy. The problem with Bush was the wars and the police state, not his relatively mild social conservatism. Of course, you can't be an idiot like Akin or Mourdock about rape and abortion.

You may have a good point here. And I'll have to think about that. Right now I don't think this is true because it is not political action that will save the people of America. Minds have to be changed and political action is more of a hindrance to this than a benefit.
    Plus rep for being openminded. I think that we need an all of the above approach in order to change the culture. I am pretty stoked about the progress we have had so far, and also what is to come.

Plus rep for being openminded. I think that we need an all of the above approach in order to change the culture. I am pretty stoked about the progress we have had so far, and also what is to come.
    What I fear is that the people in the movement who decide to go the political route may experience a few wins, but then get sucked in to the machine and become what they were fighting against. Then the people who didn't use politics will now face the establishment + compromised libertarians. Compromised libertarians can really hurt the forward progress of the movement more than a straight up communist.

And it is undeniable that politics will corrupt people.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    lol saw this on dailypaul. maybe they got it from u\here, and i was just about to post it. ha

Looking at how some conservatives stand on social issues, especially the religious right, I have to say from the perspective of someone from Great Britain it's not something I'm used to or am comfortable with. In this country we've gotten over religion in a way I think I great many Americans haven't. There's a strain of Christian religious fundamentalists active in American politics that I find a little bit scary. People who believe that the earth was literally made in seven days and Charles Darwin should have been strung up from a lamp-post for his theory of evolution. I'd prefer it if religion and politics were kept far apart, as they are here, it causes nothing but trouble and bad feeling. The fact that Rick Santorum did so well in the republican primaries scared the living daylights out of me, and doubtless most moderate Christians who progressed further religiously than the dark ages.

we already knew this was coming whether they wanted to admit it or not.

here we come
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

What I fear is that the people in the movement who decide to go the political route may experience a few wins, but then get sucked in to the machine and become what they were fighting against. Then the people who didn't use politics will now face the establishment + compromised libertarians. Compromised libertarians can really hurt the forward progress of the movement more than a straight up communist.

You could be right, but maybe libertarians tend be made of characters that are more likely to stick to their principle when the lobbyists come knocking? I believe so.
    "The average person figures that the president tells the truth, the vice president tells the truth, the secretary of state tell the truth; and they don't. They don't. The founders understood that people would be flawed, that political leaders would not be the best of men … so they set forth the constitution. We don't follow the constitution in this country; had we done so in 2001 and 2002, the world would be a different place" - Karen Kwiatkowski

fast foward this one to 6:38, see Bill Kristol lose his mind.

Last edited by orenbus; 11-12-2012 at 07:54 PM.
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by deadfish View Post
    You could be right, but maybe libertarians tend be made of characters that are more likely to stick to their principle when the lobbyists come knocking? I believe so.
    Well, we have one example of a politician who didn't entertain lobbyists showing up at his door. So right now, we are at 100%. I think it is logical to conclude that the more libertarians we get into office the lower that percentage will drop. Therefore, "freedom" cannot be achieved through the political process. Since this is the case, we ought to find a point to aim for where political action is no longer the focus.

I dunno, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
    Looking at how some conservatives stand on social issues, especially the religious right, I have to say from the perspective of someone from Great Britain it's not something I'm used to or am comfortable with. In this country we've gotten over religion in a way I think I great many Americans haven't. There's a strain of Christian religious fundamentalists active in American politics that I find a little bit scary. People who believe that the earth was literally made in seven days and Charles Darwin should have been strung up from a lamp-post for his theory of evolution. I'd prefer it if religion and politics were kept far apart, as they are here, it causes nothing but trouble and bad feeling. The fact that Rick Santorum did so well in the republican primaries scared the living daylights out of me, and doubtless most moderate Christians who progressed further religiously than the dark ages.
    No offense, but I think from Great Britain all you are seeing is a caricature. Not many Christians think Charles Darwin should be strung up from a lamp-post even if they don't believe in evolution. If Santorum had his way on all his social positions, that would probably just mean an America that looks like it did in the 1950's or 1960's- hardly a theocracy. I actually think people were happier back then because families and local communities were stronger. But to me it's like Humpty Dumpty. If society loses it's sense of right and wrong, all the king's horses and all the king's men (government) can't put it back together again.
    Last edited by Pisces; 11-12-2012 at 07:44 PM.

On the other hand I gather Ron is the type of person who would allow social issues to be dealt with on the state level...

You don't have to be pro-life or pro-choice to recognize that each state should be allowed to deal with those types of issues in their own way.

This is why I never bother arguing about social positions on these boards... if we just followed the 10th amendment and allowed the states the right to choose none of us would we have a right to complain or argue about anything outside the state level.
    This works for me. I think there are a lot of republicans who sort-of woke up after Colorado and Washington de-criminalized marijuana. It was as if these republicans had forgotten that states could do that. In name, anyway, a republican should be able to understand a 10th-amendment approach more than democrats, but in this day and age, everyone is fighting over who gets to beat up the other guy at the federal level. We need more states to assert themselves with social issues and I think republicans will realize that the concept of state and local governance hasn't died.

I've been sharing links to www.tenthamendmentcenter.com because I think it is the future in terms of getting republicans to once again understand what the word "republic" means.
    Last edited by nobody's_hero; 11-12-2012 at 07:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    lol eat it mfs!! ron pauls ideals will not go away. suck on it!

That is definitely something too look out for. We need to be vigilant if they start to do that. I am hoping that if and when the culture changes, our representatives will reflect that.
    Last edited by Adrock; 11-12-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    hahaha never seen that... every time I see a video I hadn't seen before it makes me think of all the people who have yet to see ANY videos and what exactly is going to happen as Ron's legacy lives on through youtube...
    It's just an opinion... man...

Fox "mistaking" a man with a movement, driving the Fox viewers out to the desert, and then leaving them there to die. Oopsie daisy..

CPAC spin. Kristol at 1:34 "the spirit of the tea party is not the spirit of Ron Paul"

Iowa straw poll spin.
    Last edited by bunklocoempire; 11-12-2012 at 08:20 PM.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Well, we have one example of a politician who didn't entertain lobbyists showing up at his door. So right now, we are at 100%. I think it is logical to conclude that the more libertarians we get into office the lower that percentage will drop. Therefore, "freedom" cannot be achieved through the political process. Since this is the case, we ought to find a point to aim for where political action is no longer the focus.

I dunno, what do you think?
    I am currently optimistic. If Rand, Amash, Massie, Bentivolio, etc. all end up $#@!ing us over in 2-4 years, I'll reconsider and probably agree with you. I spend a lot of time watching Rand's lengthy floor speeches and reading most of Amash's vote explanations. They just come across as honest people, like Ron. So far, their voting records reflects a genuine push for smaller gov't. I think we would really be better off with people in power like Glen Bradley, Kurt Bills, Chris Hightower, Peter Schiff, Karen Kwiatkowski and so many others.
    Last edited by deadfish; 11-12-2012 at 08:06 PM.
    "The average person figures that the president tells the truth, the vice president tells the truth, the secretary of state tell the truth; and they don't. They don't. The founders understood that people would be flawed, that political leaders would not be the best of men … so they set forth the constitution. We don't follow the constitution in this country; had we done so in 2001 and 2002, the world would be a different place" - Karen Kwiatkowski

Last edited by orenbus; 11-12-2012 at 08:07 PM.
    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. -Samuel Adams

You guys are being taken for a ride

Rand Paul (and the obviously organized online presence behind him), the one that needlessly cavorted with neo cons in a secret meeting before his senate election/GOP primary nomination and that Kristol is setting up to win . THE RINOS ARE TIRED OF THE CARCASS OF EVANGELICAL CONSERVATISM. To that end, they plan on using the momentum of the co-opted Ron Paul movement and the MSM frequent cries of "the country's culture has shifted left" to change the makeup of the party in their favor. Kristol wouldn't like Rand Paul my @!#. You guys are so convinced you got the inside angle u don't realize you're the fish being reeled in.

Rand Paul will advance the new GOP, which is a rehashed version of liberventionism under the Cato / Reason mag Koch brothers faction. Ever wonder why that Ayn Rand movie even came out?

Justin Raimondo said it best, ....http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2...ather-complex/

The great danger is that the election of Rand Paul to the US Senate will change the ideological complexion of libertarianism, as it is perceived by the public, and quite possibly succeed in derailing the ongoing work of his father and the Campaign for Liberty in challenging the neocons’ hegemony in the GOP when it comes to foreign policy. The recent release of the House GOP caucus "Pledge to America," which repeats this same neocon litany of endless war and extravagant "defense" expenditures, shows that this fight is far from over – and Rand Paul is on the wrong side.
    Now the NeoCons are playing you, "Oh I wouldnt like a Rand Paul candidacy but hes Top Tier" etc etc... Nevermind that the ARI is frothing at the mouth against Muslims. You are being taken for a ride, hope you like the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by nutroll View Post
    Rand Paul (and the obviously organized online presence behind him), the one that needlessly cavorted with neo cons in a secret meeting before his senate election/GOP primary nomination and that Kristol is setting up to win . THE RINOS ARE TIRED OF THE CARCASS OF EVANGELICAL CONSERVATISM. To that end, they plan on using the momentum of the co-opted Ron Paul movement and the MSM frequent cries of "the country's culture has shifted left" to change the makeup of the party in their favor. Kristol wouldn't like Rand Paul my @!#. You guys are so convinced you got the inside angle u don't realize you're the fish being reeled in.

Rand Paul will advance the new GOP, which is a rehashed version of liberventionism under the Cato / Reason mag Koch brothers faction. Ever wonder why that Ayn Rand movie even came out?

Justin Raimondo said it best, ....http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2...ather-complex/

Now the NeoCons are playing you, "Oh I wouldnt like a Rand Paul candidacy but hes Top Tier" etc etc... Nevermind that the ARI is frothing at the mouth against Muslims. You are being taken for a ride, hope you like the trip.
    Since the executive branch orders the military, then I'm not too worried whether Kristol is trying to co-opt us or not (though will of course be on guard for it for other reasons).

I think you're correct that they'll do their best to co-opt us, but to suggest Rand is or will be co-opted is rather unfounded at this point... Hell, Kristol might even just be saying this to make us doubt Rand. That's what I'd do if I knew the opposition couldn't stand me.
    I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than be living as a puppet or a slave - Peter Tosh

The kids they dance and shake their bones,
    While the politicians are throwing stones,
    And it's all too clear we're on our own,
    Singing ashes, ashes, all fall down...

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Rand Paul (and the obviously organized online presence behind him),
    Haha...

the one that needlessly cavorted with neo cons in a secret meeting before his senate election/GOP primary nomination
    This has been disproven. You're 2 years behind on your smears.

and that Kristol is setting up to win .
    Haha!

THE RINOS ARE TIRED OF THE CARCASS OF EVANGELICAL CONSERVATISM. To that end, they plan on using the momentum of the co-opted Ron Paul movement and the MSM frequent cries of "the country's culture has shifted left" to change the makeup of the party in their favor. Kristol wouldn't like Rand Paul my @!#. You guys are so convinced you got the inside angle u don't realize you're the fish being reeled in.
    Rand Paul represents the opposite of RINO. Why would the RINO's want someone in there that is a repudiation of everything they believe?

Justin Raimondo is an idiot. Everything he has predicted about Rand, including that quote, has been wrong.

Okay...let me get it. Bill Kristol and the neocons secretly really want Rand because...why? They like his crusades against foreign aid? They like his non-interventionism? They like his budget? They like his vote to audit the FED?They like his opposition to the Patriot Act?

What is it about Rand do they like and secretly want? (Or is it more probable that Kristol knows that Rand is a major factor in 2016, and he was just reporting the truth?)
    Last edited by Sola_Fide; 11-12-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
    No offense, but I think from Great Britain all you are seeing is a caricature. Not many Christians think Charles Darwin should be strung up from a lamp-post even if they don't believe in evolution. If Santorum had his way on all his social positions, that would probably just mean an America that looks like it did in the 1950's or 1960's- hardly a theocracy. I actually think people were happier back then because families and local communities were stronger. But to me it's like Humpty Dumpty. If society loses it's sense of right and wrong, all the king's horses and all the king's men (government) can't put it back together again.
    No offence taken and none intended I can assure you. I was trying to mix some humour in along with some more serious observations, something may have been lost in the translation.

I certainly don't view all religious US conservatives in those terms but it's undeniable that such people do exist in quite large numbers and they do exert what I would describe as an undue influence during the primary process, forcing candidates, some of whom may not share their views, to adopt hardline positions on certain social issues that a majority of Americans find deeply unattractive. Mitt Romney was and is pro-choice but he was forced to adopt a pro-life position he didn't believe in in order to placate these people and to convince them he was "severely conservative". The clue is in the word severe. Most women find other people trying to dictate what they can and cannot do with their own bodies completely unacceptable, and that is why Obama won the female vote by a very large margin. And as I said the abortion issue is settled and it's highly unlikely that is going to change so it seems pointless and counter-productive of conservatives to keep bringing the subject up as a major issue during the primary process, it turns voters off in droves. Now, I'm pro-life, and I agree it's a moral issue, but if you believe you can improve peoples' morals by force, I'm sorry I don't believe that will work. You change peoples' morals by setting a good example and putting forward your argument to try and change their minds. If the current thinking of the majority of people continues to prevail then I'm afraid that's hard cheese. Forcing people to adopt my beliefs, however well intentioned they are, is completely against everything I stand for.

As for your comments re the 1950's, I'm sure some people were very happy when such schools of thought prevailed, white straight men in particular. However an awful lot of black people, gay people and women weren't treated very well at all during that time. Racism was rampant, gay people were forced to lead secret lives and when exposed were not treated well at all and the majority of women were expected to stay home cooking, cleaning and raising the children. If conservatives want to suggest restoring that as a social model for the country, while still constantly thumping on about abortion and immigration every primary season, they'd better look forward to a good long while in opposition.
    Last edited by Britannia; 11-12-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
    No offence taken and none intended I can assure you. I was trying to mix some humour in along with some more serious observations, something may have been lost in the translation.

I certainly don't view all religious US conservatives in those terms but it's undeniable that such people do exist in quite large numbers and they do exert what I would describe as an undue influence during the primary process, forcing candidates to adopt hardline positions on certain social issues that a majority of Americans find deeply unattractive. Mitt Romney was and is pro-choice but he was forced to adopt a pro-life position he didn't believe in to placate these people to convince them he was "severaly conservative". Most women find other people trying to dictate what they can and cannot do with their own bodies completely unacceptable, and that is why Obama won the female vote by a very large margin. And as I said the abortion issue is settled and it's highly unlikely that is going to change so it seems pointless and counter-productive of conservatives to keep bringing the subject up as a major issue during the primary process, it turns voters off in droves. Now, I'm pro-life, and I agree it's a moral issue but if you believe you can improve peoples' morals by force, I'm sorry I don't believe that will work. You change peoples' morals by setting a good example and putting forward your argument to try and change their minds. If the current thinking of the majority of people continues to prevail then I'm afraid that's hard cheese. Forcing people to adopt my beliefs, however well intentioned they are, is completely against everything I stand for.

As for your comments re the 1950's, I'm sure some people were very happy when such schools of thought prevailed, white straight men in particular. However an awful lot of black people, gay people and women weren't treated very well at all during that time. Racism was rampant, gay people were forced to lead secret lives and when exposed were not treated well at all and the majority of women were expected to stay home cooking, cleaning and raising the children. If conservatives want to suggest restoring that as a social model for the country, while still constantly thumping on about abortion and immigration every primary season, they'd better look forward to a good long while in opposition.
    Have you ever been to the U.S.? Have you met and spoken with "such people", the people that you believe would lynch Charles Darwin if given the chance? Of do you base this just on what you've seen on the BBC?

As for the 1950's, I didn't mean to make a blanket statement agreeing with everything that went on during that decade. I just believe people on the whole were happier then. If you could go back in time and get rid of the racism, that would have been an ideal time. I think the break-up of families has hurt people a great deal in this country. You only have to read the stories that some of the men have posted on this forum to see how their lives and the lives of their children are affected by divorce. I also believe that the decline in the family has led to more child abuse and molestation as children are more often left without the protection of one or more of their parents. I didn't always feel this way but I have a teenage daughter and it is very sad seeing all the kids that have practically been abandoned by their parents. Many of them have no clue how to get along in the world.

I don't know if I made this clear earlier, but I don't really see that government can do anything to change this. I still have to say that I believe people were happier (and better educated) 50 or 60 years ago. Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread so I'll leave it at that.

You are being taken for a ride, hope you like the trip.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast