Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went to a local Tea Party meeting tonight, my experience.

Went to a local Tea Party meeting tonight, my experience.

So from what I heard and saw tonight, the party is broken, more broken than I expected them to be and actually a little desperate for something 'new'. The Romney loss was pretty devastating to the Republican party, its making people re-evaluate it from being about politics to being about "having a message" and changing the dialogue/culture to one that makes sense that everybody in our 'culture' can embrace.

There was a lot of Ron Paul-esque talking points but nobody brought up the old man himself, which was extremely surprising to me because they were talking about free markets, voluntaryism, how Romney didn't actually believe in what he was saying. I didn't want to bring it up as a new person but may inject it at a later date if I do choose to go back.

The best part is, the guy that was speaking most of the night was Bill Whittle, the man that made the "give our Ron Paul/Gary Johnson vote to Romney".

He really embraces the things we talk about and he seems to be a decently known figure that travels the country giving speeches to conservative groups large and small.

I was just very reserved because he didn't name Ron Paul's name once, either because he doesn't like him or maybe even because the audience might've been too sensitive to it and might seal their ears and eyes shut at the sound of Ron Paul. I don't know I didn't get to meet enough people to get a general feel of the crowd.

They had a lot of people come to the meeting though, I don't know if it was because its the first post election, lick each others' wounds type event so a lot of people showed up but the number I saw tonight was impressive. I did hear that they don't really get active on the ground though.

Anyway, that was my experience thought I would share. It gave me a little hope. These people are starting to accept our ideas and our way of thinking, that the message is stronger than the politics.

My best recommendation to you all is to go to your local tea party chapter/GOP group and do what I (and I'm sure others) doing, get a feel for how these people are acting and reacting and let them know the message is powerful. If you package it correctly, you can sell it quick and easy.
    THE SQUAD of RPF
    1. enhanced_deficit - Paid Troll / John Bolton book promoter
    2. Devil21 - LARPing Wizard, fake magical script reader
    3. Firestarter - Tax Troll; anti-tax = "criminal behavior"
    4. TheCount - Comet Pizza Pedo Denier <-- sick

@Ehanced_Deficit's real agenda on RPF =troll:

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

7 yrs/25k posts later RPF'ers still respond to this troll

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good Job. I am going to go to my local Republican group, but they meet monthly, so I have to wait a bit. It seems like the republican party is realizing that they need to change in order to win elections. Even on fox they are realizing that Republicans just aren't relevant anymore. This loss to Obama really shook things up, I'm excited

Thats really encouraging to hear. Unfortunately, most of the Tea Partiers in my area are too busy blaming "Paulbots", libertarians and voter fraud for Romney's loss and buying into the media hype that the GOP didn't do enough to reach out to Latino voters.

+ Rep to the OP.

Well done for going to the meeting, for behaving wisely at it, and for posting your experiences.
    "Statesmen may plan and speculate for liberty, but it is religion and morality alone which can establish the principles upon which freedom can securely stand." - John Adams

"He is the best friend to American liberty, who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion, and who sets himself with the greatest firmness to bear down on profanity and immorality of every kind." - John Witherspoon

Why I stand with Rand

But this is a Tea party group so some of these guys actually want to move towards a more principled position. The GOP establishment drones are still believe in some crazy things, even people who live near me, its crazy.

Some of them think that ALL THEY NEED TO DO, is allow amnesty and they will win the next election.

Scary...

But still get involved, many republicans are prepared for real change, be there before they are led into another slaughter house.
    THE SQUAD of RPF

Who spends this much time copy/pasting the same recycled links, photos/talking points.

Anyone know Keli Carender?

seems she's lost her way.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...triots13m.html
    Last edited by JK/SEA; 11-13-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JK/SEA View Post
    Anyone know Keli Carender?

seems she's lost her way.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...triots13m.html
    Naw, I stay out of Seattle unless I'm visiting my brother.
    "The Patriarch"

What won the GOP alot of elections in the 10' mid terms?....Tea party thinking (smaller government less taxes). What lost if for them in 12'?....Forgetting that and nominating Romney.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    What won the GOP alot of elections in the 10' mid terms?....Tea party thinking (smaller government less taxes). What lost if for them in 12'?....Forgetting that and nominating Romney.
    So well put, in one sentence. I'm stealing it. (to use on other sites)
    "The Patriarch"

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I know a lot of people that self-indentify with the Tea Party. Many of them going to meetings, getting emails from the groups, etc. I've talked to them on this point and the general consensus is that post NH, they didn't have a horse in the race. Most of them wanted either Perry or Cain who both died a quick death in the campaign. And yes, I know they could have went to Paul and I have addressed that. What I have figured out is that Paul never was able to connect with these folks. They'd like 9 things he would say, but the 10th would make them cringe. Now given that these very same folks are real high on Rand, I think it wasn't so much what Paul was saying, but the way he presented it. Presentation of ideas is key when trying to reach out to the average voter, especially when the ideas are contrary to the rhetoric they are hearing from others.

All in all though, these are good folks, and we can ally with them. Thanks to eleganz for sharing your experience at the meeting.
    Last edited by CaptLouAlbano; 11-13-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eleganz View Post
    There was a lot of Ron Paul-esque talking points but nobody brought up the old man himself, which was extremely surprising to me because they were talking about free markets, voluntaryism, how Romney didn't actually believe in what he was saying. I didn't want to bring it up as a new person but may inject it at a later date if I do choose to go back.
    I am hearing the same here, from conservatives I know in my workplace, etc. Phrases like "rule of law" and "Constitution" coming out of people I don't expect to hear it from. They won't say or bring up 'Ron Paul' but I'm hearing his echo... I think progress is being made, little by little.
    Last edited by July; 11-13-2012 at 11:18 AM.

I find it's still "I think Ron is right on most domestic issues, but his foreign policy sucks and is naive". Foreign policy is a big issue and goes like "If we don't police/control the world, China or Russia will" kindof stuff (in so many words).

edit: I ask, "How do we pay for it?"
    Last edited by ClydeCoulter; 11-13-2012 at 12:13 PM.

The media did its job in tainting Ron Paul's name.... so I would not use his name even though his message and ideas seem to be the political hot topics. I think Dr. Paul is willing to make that horse trade. I found it ironic how Rand was cheered during the convention by the same people who were against letting Ron speak, even though Rand touched on the same subjects with the same stances... as someone said earlier - presentation, plus the media propaganda hasn't went after Rand on a large scale.

Does anyone start to awaken to the the inherent contradictions and flaws of an electoral system when they start having to pander to the idiots that compose "the people?" Like- what is good about a system that has to first convince them in order to function?

No point in bringing up Ron Paul any way, since we're past that point as a movement. As long as the message is resonating with the party then the movement carries on.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

Quote Originally Posted by man is truth View Post
    Does anyone start to awaken to the the inherent contradictions and flaws of an electoral system when they start having to pander to the idiots that compose "the people?" Like- what is good about a system that has to first convince them in order to function?
    Elitist drivel at its finest.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by man is truth View Post
    Its the entire point. It works fine elsewhere in the world. It has been decades since the US has been truly engaged in its own governance though.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Quote Originally Posted by devil21 View Post
    No point in bringing up Ron Paul any way, since we're past that point as a movement. As long as the message is resonating with the party then the movement carries on.
    This is a crucial point. While it's awesome to rub Ron Paul in people's faces, we shouldn't do that. Let's remember that this goes beyond the man, and is about liberty. We need to keep our message the exact same, but leave Ron Paul's name out of it. Some people may be turned off (the difficult ones) if you mention "his" name too many times.

Now, don't get me wrong here. I'm not saying to not mention Ron Paul, or quit saying his name absolutely. Go ahead, but, don't do it with every sentence as we used to.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

A lot of people are forgetting the power of the media. When Ron Paul rose in Iowa in early December 2011, Ron was on top of the world nationally and gaining in popularity within the voters, Tea Party and the Republican party. What happened? Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Hannity, Levin, O'Reilly, Beck, etc. all launched a nuclear attack against the "nutty old man." There is no doubt in my mind that such attack was orchestrated. To knock Ron off the top spot, CNN releases a poll (fake because the caucus was open) of Republican Iowan voters only to give this meme that Santorum was rising when he most definitely was stuck below 10%. CNN poll had him at 15% and the rest is history. Every news station and political pundit ran with the false story. Santorum surged knocking Ron to third within one week. At the same time, Ron Paul's approval numbers plummeted and his disapproval sky rocketed to above 50% within the Republican party base. The race was technically over after SC after placing a weak fourth.

What's the point? To win on the Republican nomination, one needs to have the right wing media on their side. The media were the ones that herded the primary voter to vote for the most likely person to beat Obama which the meme was Romney. It did not matter if true or not because politics is not about the truth always. It's about herding.

It's why I have always advocated Ron Paul went Indy besides the fact that the two party criminal system needs as ass whopping.
    Last edited by Liberty74; 11-13-2012 at 04:44 PM.
    If Rand does not win the Republican nomination, he should buck the controlled two party system and run as an Independent for President in 2016 and give Americans a real option to vote for.

We are all born libertarians then something goes really wrong. Despite this truth, most people are still libertarians yet not know it.

My suggestion: Don't mention Ron Paul unless he is brought up in conversation.

Many Republicans and Tea party types use all the same language we do but most haven't connected all the dots yet. Feed them information but don't attach labels or names such as libertarian or Ron Paul.

I have a local GOP holiday party to go to in 2 days. Number one goal: build relationships.

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    My suggestion: Don't mention Ron Paul unless he is brought up in conversation.

Many Republicans and Tea party types use all the same language we do but most haven't connected all the dots yet. Feed them information but don't attach labels or names such as libertarian or Ron Paul.

I have a local GOP holiday party to go to in 2 days. Number one goal: build relationships.
    Bingo.

This was what I was trying to convey in my post.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty74 View Post
    A lot of people are forgetting the power of the media. When Ron Paul rose in Iowa in early December 2011, Ron was on top of the world nationally and gaining in popularity within the voters, Tea Party and the Republican party. What happened? Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Hannity, Levin, O'Reilly, Beck, etc. all launched a nuclear attack against the "nutty of man." There is no doubt in my mind that such attack was orchestrated. To knock Ron off the top spot, CNN releases a poll (fake because the caucus was open) of Republican Iowan voters only to give this meme that Santorum was rising when he most definitely was stuck below 10%. CNN poll had him at 15% and the rest is history. Every news station and political pundit ran with the false story. Santorum surged knocking Ron to third within one week. At the same time, Ron Paul's approval numbers plummeted and his disapproval sky rocketed to above 50% within the Republican party base. The race was technically over after SC after placing a weak fourth.

What's the point? To win on the Republican nomination, one needs to have the right wing media on their side. They are the ones that were herded to vote for the most likely person to beat Obama which the meme was Romney. It did not matter if true or not because politics is not about the truth always. It's about herding.

It's why I have always advocated Ron Paul went Indy besides the fact that the two party criminal system needs as ass whopping.
    Two other things to mention. There was a smear robo-call about 1-2 weeks before the caucus. I never got it. It labeled Ron as anti-2nd Amendment... there may have been a second robo-call that labeled him pro-choice. Not sure on that one. But a major smear campaign was underway and many people mentioned that was the reason they did not support Paul. The source of the robo-call was never found.

Also, Bachmann was on the decline in Iowa. Her campaign was losing popular support. She could not hold onto staff or endorsements. The social conservatives needed a place to go. Paul had been absorbing many of them but most ended up going to Santorum.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptLouAlbano View Post
    Elitist drivel at its finest.
    You know, I wonder if we could get a private forum where those of us that want to work in the GOP and TEA Party can discuss strategy, and blow odd steam, without the trolls coming in.

I know there are lots of private groups...you can see them on user profiles...

This is the best time to get involved in the party. After the elections, everybody goes home for 4 years. In the meantime, this is when the structures organize in preparation for the next cycle. I understand that not everybody is going to do that, but it would be nice to have somewhere to talk about that without having the same old nay-sayers chiming in.

So, should we ask Josh for it? Would we use it?

Yes yes, don't be 'that' Ron Pau supporter.

You fit the stereotype and you lose all credibility. Be level headed.
    THE SQUAD of RPF

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    You know, I wonder if we could get a private forum where those of us that want to work in the GOP and TEA Party can discuss strategy, and blow odd steam, without the trolls coming in.

This is the best time to get involved in the party. After the elections, everybody goes home for 4 years. In the meantime, this is when the structures organize in preparation for the next cycle. I understand that not everybody is going to do that, but it would be nice to have somewhere to talk about that without having the same old nay-sayers chiming in.

I am definitely not a supporter of the "taking over from within" strategy but I totally agree that if there were ever a time to take over the party it would be between now and 2016. I hope that you guys manage to make some strong strides with that because it will only benefit our country (and me and my family) if you folks succeed.

But I also hope everyone doesn't put their eggs in one basket. If the take over strategy doesn't work, I hope the 3rd party folks will have a better infrastructure come 2016 should the GOP find a way to screw us over again. We need a backup plan.

In any case, I think you guys should continue to do your work here right in Grassroots central and even though you folks will have to deal with the nay-sayers. You guys will get a lot more feedback/attention from discussing stuff here.

I would use it.

Many things to organize for. In my state we have county GOP officer elections coming up in January, mayoral & city council elections next November, then comes our off cycle caucus in 2014 where we will go through the entire process of county, district, and state conventions again. State central committee members are elected at the district conventions in early 2014 too. 2014 is a make or break year for having a strong ground work laid for Rand Paul in 2016. I am committed to working within the Grand Old Party and am beginning the process of starting up a Republican Liberty Caucus in my state(there may be one but I haven't heard back from the Iowa contact, info could be old).

The black out of Mr. "Play by the rules" Rand has already begun.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...mits-Rand-Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty74 View Post
    A lot of people are forgetting the power of the media. When Ron Paul rose in Iowa in early December 2011, Ron was on top of the world nationally and gaining in popularity within the voters, Tea Party and the Republican party. What happened? Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Hannity, Levin, O'Reilly, Beck, etc. all launched a nuclear attack against the "nutty old man." There is no doubt in my mind that such attack was orchestrated. To knock Ron off the top spot, CNN releases a poll (fake because the caucus was open) of Republican Iowan voters only to give this meme that Santorum was rising when he most definitely was stuck below 10%. CNN poll had him at 15% and the rest is history. Every news station and political pundit ran with the false story. Santorum surged knocking Ron to third within one week. At the same time, Ron Paul's approval numbers plummeted and his disapproval sky rocketed to above 50% within the Republican party base. The race was technically over after SC after placing a weak fourth.

What's the point? To win on the Republican nomination, one needs to have the right wing media on their side. The media were the ones that herded the primary voter to vote for the most likely person to beat Obama which the meme was Romney. It did not matter if true or not because politics is not about the truth always. It's about herding.

It would be very nice. A place solely for real world activists to discuss strategy and such.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptLouAlbano View Post
    It would be very nice. A place solely for real world activists to discuss strategy and such.
    I'd love that, I'm tired of the tire kickers and opinion spitters, I just want to talk to people who actually do $#@! in this damn revolution.
    THE SQUAD of RPF

Quote Originally Posted by Uriah View Post
    Many Republicans and Tea party types use all the same language we do but most haven't connected all the dots yet.
    For some of them this may be true. For most, their words are nothing more than empty rhetoric. A battle cry to use in their game of Red vs Blue, or simply fluffy feel-good words with no conviction, much like New Years resolutions.. "This year I'm going to eat healthy! I mean it this time! Oh by the way can we stop by Taco Bell on the way home"

You can identify these people by their hypocrisies and inconsistencies. They can say two completely opposite things right after each other and not even give it a second thought. If you even try to go into deeper discussion into these issues, they will get offended, angry, and/or immediately change the subject.

These people love living in their dream world they have built for themselves where they believe they stand for truth, justice, and freedom, and if you say or do anything that suggests otherwise they will fight you with every ounce of their being. These people will use every tool at their disposal to maintain their illusions, and will even use violence if necessary.

Occasionally, if they have their guard down, they may accidentally hear some truth that cannot be refuted or ignored. They may even agree with you. You will feel a small sense of victory, and have your faith restored in the world... but I warn you, two weeks.. or two days.. or even two minutes later... they will have forgotten everything you just said, and act as if that conversation never even happened.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast