Thread: Petition to Peacefully Secede From the U.S. Government

Petition to Peacefully Secede From the U.S. Government

I guess these are becoming the new craze:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...nment/5L60dpFG

Are there any drawbacks to these petitions? Obviously, they are more ceremonious than anything, but, I can see how these would be a great way for the government to start cataloging citizens.
    Last edited by Okie RP fan; 11-11-2012 at 11:03 PM.
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaul25 View Post
    And join Texas?
    louisiana will leave the union before texas.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Obama received the petition:

I guess this is the "official" one. It has over 10,000 signatures:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...nment/Z0G2vNtF

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    louisiana will leave the union before texas.
    Is this that big project you've been talking about recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroneous View Post
    Is this that big project you've been talking about recently?
    nope.
    but my project could lead to such a thing in the long run.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

useless waste of time to even open the link.
    No one reads signatures.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hey...remember when Obama was inaugurated and he followed the same path from Illinois to DC that Lincoln did?

Just sayin'.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by Okie RP fan View Post
    Are there any drawbacks to these petitions?
    Well ... my understanding is that you have to give them your email address. And your name, of course. Maybe more than that.

So I guess it's just a question of whether you want to give the White House that info up front, or make them go to the bother of asking the NSA for it.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

This is the dumbest thing ever please stop.

It wouldn't happen if you got 10 million signatures and you're just giving the government your info. You're essentially saying, "Hey when you finally do get around to abusing Section 1021 of the NDAA you should look here first."

STOP! If the time for a real rebellion ever came you'd all probably be dead before it began.
    It's just an opinion... man...

Quote Originally Posted by NoOneButPaul View Post
    This is the dumbest thing ever please stop.

It wouldn't happen if you got 10 million signatures and you're just giving the government your info. You're essentially saying, "Hey when you finally do get around to abusing Section 1021 of the NDAA you should look here first."

STOP! If the time for a real rebellion ever came you'd all probably be dead before it began.
    its dumb because it is very probable that the majority of people on that petition are on it for some superficial reason.
    the idea of removing ourselves from unjust government is not dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    its dumb because it is very probable that the majority of people on that petition are on it for some superficial reason.
    the idea of removing ourselves from unjust government is not dumb.
    Which is exactly why I said what I said at the end.
    It's just an opinion... man...

I'd add, don't plan on running for office or managing the campaign of someone running for office if your name is on one.

Regarding the secession petitions floating around I have 2 thoughts about this -

1- Fundamentally WHY would you ask permission or petition the Feds to secede? That's silly, you don't ask them permission, you just do it. Rights don't require petitions or permission.

2- More practically, why would you want your name on a list at WhiteHouse.gov so that Obama and the Feds can know everyone's name who wants to "subvert" the US government?!

Please people, let's try and think this through a bit more.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Welp, your comments would have helped a little earlier.

I signed it anyway. We all know it's ceremonial, it can't happen. It's just a quick and easy way to show that there are people out there pissed off. I had my reservations considering it required an email and name. I didn't use my full name, and I used a junk email.

Oh, well...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    I'd add, don't plan on running for office or managing the campaign of someone running for office if your name is on one.
    Eh, it'd be some Democrat talking point in a debate.

A simple response would be: I genuinely felt a peaceful action had to be taken, and what better way than submitting your name to an online petition, to draw attention that people are tired of an excessive and abusive government running $16.3 trillion in debt.

But, Gunny, I know you know how it all works. I'm sure even that explanation wouldn't suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie RP fan View Post
    Eh, it'd be some Democrat talking point in a debate.

A simple response would be: I genuinely felt a peaceful action had to be taken, and what better way than submitting your name to an online petition, to draw attention that people are tired of an excessive and abusive government running $16.3 trillion in debt.

But, Gunny, I know you know how it all works. I'm sure even that explanation wouldn't suffice.
    In any case, it is more valid to support it in other states than it is in NC. Nobody who has sworn an oath to uphold and defend the NC State Constitution can legitimately support this effort without first amending the NC State Constitution to repeal Article 1 Section 4 prohibiting secession.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    In any case, it is more valid to support it in other states than it is in NC. Nobody who has sworn an oath to uphold and defend the NC State Constitution can legitimately support this effort without first amending the NC State Constitution to repeal Article 1 Section 4 prohibiting secession.
    Well, you better get started on amending the NC constitution, Glen!
    Liberty is for all; privileges are for none.