Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coupons and deals

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Coupons and deals

Just wanted to share something with you guys. I have been watching "Extreme Couponers" on Netflix, trying to find a way to realistically survive without foodstamps, and I picked up some tips and tricks throughout the series. So today my wife and I went to the grocery store prepared with coupons and a grocery list full of deals.

We spent $117.48. We SAVED $98.20. How awesome is that? I'm pretty sure we're set for the rest of the month (except for things like milk and bread). I was so excited! I can't believe I've been paying full price for crap when I absolutely didn't have to. I paid little over HALF of what I normally would have. How awesome is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    god damn vipers, all of them.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Don't forget to factor in the time it took you to collect/sort those coupons.

I'm concerned most with your taste in television.

Quote Originally Posted by W_BRANDON View Post
    The only time I would factor in time, counting it as money, is if it really was a substitute for other time that was, or could have equated to money.

I had a pantry, fridge and freezer fully stocked and packed during my "starving" college days, for literally pennies on the dollar from what the average person paid in groceries, and all because I was systematic about it. This is no idle boast; in the early '80's, my all-time record for savings was $317.13 worth of groceries (two FULL carts) for exactly $16.00.

It's not like it was in the 80's, with price wars and double and triple savings, and multiple coupons, but it's starting to get there. Right now stores like Krogers and Safeway are producing enormous savings opportunities for anyone willing to go online. The big push is to get you to buy in larger quantities, but people of truly limited means aren't spending unnecessary money on unnecessary items simply to brag about how much they "saved". It's all about survival and necessity at that level, with a lot of patience involved. I would buy four copies of the Sunday paper (to begin with) just for the coupons. And more if I needed, if the sales warranted.

One enormously valuable strategy I employed has to do with staying power. In other words, how long will it be before the next sale on this particular item, and can I last until then? I needed peanut butter, but would go without until it went on sale. I never compromised, I had no problem substituting, and acquiring a taste for sale items, so I count ONLY a big sale with substantial savings. And if peanut butter was finally offered at a "Loss Leader" price, I'd search out matching manufacturers coupons (they will ALL send coupons to you if you write to them and ask point blank), and make whatever substitutions I needed to make, to funnel it into peanut butter, so that I could stock up enough to last me until the next sale.

Shop those sales, baby, and more power to you! Get it down to a system and a science. There is no need to pay a lot for groceries if you have the spare time to invest.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Douglas View Post
    The only time I would factor in time, counting it as money, is if it really was a substitute for other time that was, or could have equated to money.
    I used to argue that same point about whether it was "worth it" to list low cost items on eBay. If I'm doing nothing but watching TV, I'm making nothing. If I'm watching TV *and* selling $5.00 items, I'm making money. Obviously I'd be making more doing other things, but at 9:00 on Sunday nights, I didn't want to do much else.

if you don't have a job or better use of your time, that's almost irrelevant.

Just curious - where did you get the coupons?

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Just curious - where did you get the coupons?
    Most were digital coupons that I loaded straight onto my Kroger card. Others came from the newspaper/sales papers. Most of the savings came from the in-store deals. The coupons did help a bit though.

It honestly only took about three hours of preparation.

As far as the television thing goes, I'm always looking to learn. Why not learn about saving money?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneEnochs View Post
    Most were digital coupons that I loaded straight onto my Kroger card. Others came from the newspaper/sales papers. Most of the savings came from the in-store deals. The coupons did help a bit though.

As far as the television thing goes, I'm always looking to learn. Why not learn about saving money?
    Kudos on that, but I don't find a lot of coupons for meat and dairy and produce. It's usually for frozen food, non-food items, and prepackaged things.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I was just kidding about your taste in tv.

It doesn't seem like the people on the show really save as much you are lead to believe. They end up having a bunch of crap they don't need (e.g. 200 bars of soap, 150 tubes of toothpaste, 80 boxes of detergent etc..). Some of this seems like a waste but then again I've never tried doing it.

I was just kidding about your taste in tv.

It doesn't seem like the people on the show really save as much you are lead to believe. They end up having a bunch of crap they don't need (e.g. 200 bars of soap, 150 tubes of toothpaste, 80 boxes of detergent etc..). Some of this seems like a waste but then again I've never tried doing it.
    And if you got these things for pennies on the dollar do you think you could sell them for half what the store was selling and make a profit? That's what yard sales and flea markets are for.

Exactly! Why not learn to save money if it doesn't cost too much to learn?

Just make sure you don't buy what you don't need, and use what you buy. Otherwise, wasted is still wasted, even if you "saved" money buying it.

Some people here will tell you that buying from this store or that wholesale club will save even more, and they may have a point, so do whatever fits your budget and time.

I wasn't going into it with the expectation of getting huge amounts of stuff. I just wanted to be able to save as much as I could buying what I would normally buy.

I did, however, end up buying like 30 cans of green beans. But hey, I like green beans.

Awesome! I was into it a few years ago. I think there were much better deals then.

The best deal I ever got was from Jewel Osco. They were giving $5.00 back if you bought 5 Proctor & Gamble products. They also had ivory soap on sale for .49 a bar. Ivory Soap is a P&G product. So, (rounding and excludung tax) I made $2.50 for every $2.50 I spent.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Awesome! I was into it a few years ago. I think there were much better deals then.

The best deal I ever got was from Jewel Osco. They were giving $5.00 back if you bought 5 Proctor & Gamble products. They also had ivory soap on sale for .49 a bar. Ivory Soap is a P&G product. So, (rounding and excludung tax) I made $2.50 for every $2.50 I spent.
    One of the things that annoys me the most about this area is that food is a lot more expensive here, with the exception of milk. Back in my hometown, grocery stores doubled coupons, you got gas points, there was a good variety and we actually got coupons in the mail--none of that here. Not even shopper cards to get discounts or special deals. I have to get a Meijer credit card in order to get a minor discount--that's ridiculous. And even the markdown section (discontinued/close to expiration) sections in the store suck.

Am I doing something wrong here? You'd think that food in the Midwest would be cheaper.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    One of the things that annoys me the most about this area is that food is a lot more expensive here, with the exception of milk. Back in my hometown, grocery stores doubled coupons, you got gas points, there was a good variety and we actually got coupons in the mail--none of that here. Not even shopper cards to get discounts or special deals. I have to get a Meijer credit card in order to get a minor discount--that's ridiculous. And even the markdown section (discontinued/close to expiration) sections in the store suck.

Am I doing something wrong here? You'd think that food in the Midwest would be cheaper.
    Little bit South it is , I have never been able to figure it out , if I go a State North, everything costs more , but I know ,it is all the same companies and , logistics, trucking , warehousing , fuel , are halfway between me and that.....one of the reasons I like being situated where I am , groceries as cheap as it is going to get in the US , no tax on groceries, 1% property tax on primary residence.....

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Little bit South it is , I have never been able to figure it out , if I go a State North, everything costs more , but I know ,it is all the same companies and , logistics, trucking , warehousing , fuel , are halfway between me and that.....one of the reasons I like being situated where I am , groceries as cheap as it is going to get in the US , no tax on groceries, 1% property tax on primary residence.....
    I just wish it were easier to find a good property around your parts. There's a reason there isn't an abundance of cheap land/houses.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Just thought of something, are the grocers up there Union ??

It's the rural part that's killing you. Where we are now we have a Target, Wal-Mart, Meijer, and Kroger at the same intersection, and Walmart matches prices. At the new house, there's a small grocer. Prices are a lot higher.

Plus Michigan just seems to have a lot of independent grocers. More than anywhere else I've lived.

I used to have a lot better luck with coupons than I do now. Our grocery choices are very limited where I live and we try to do a once a month *big* shop at the commissary on base - which really isn't that much cheaper anymore and has really narrowed the brand selection drastically.
    I don't shop at china-mart .. our other choices for local-ish groceries are Publix (expensive) Winn Dixie ..meh.. the store is clean anyway and one called Pick-n-Save that has weird to me brands and attaches a sur charge on everything .. someone explained how that's legal to me once but I've since forgotten. It's still cheaper than the big chain stores but it's a small store with not much that I use.

Coupons are generaly for things I don't use.. packaged crap.. baby items and a whole lot of proctor and gamble items - which are forbidden in my house.
    Produce and meats I don't find coupons for and that's the major part of my grocery bill.
    I do get some coupons for frozen stuff and dairy but not nearly as many as I used to .. due to brand narrowing - they just dont' carry the brands I find coupons for anymore.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

The absolute best food deal you can get is to befriend a farmer.

Meat should always come wrapped only in white butcher paper written on with a sharpie, never wrapped in cellophane.

Veggies come in brown paper bags or reused wal-mart plastic usually with dirt still attached and an occasional bug.

Many farmers will sell home canned or frozen produce after you get to know them.

But yeah, coupons for all the plastic, disposable China crap most of us use.....

i think my two fave coupons (from coupons.com) are the ones for a buck off any cheese 1lb or larger and cascadian farms frozen fruit - varying denominations of coupon. I get the organic blueberries to put in my yogurt.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Handy sites for Couponing:

Kroger: http://www.krogerkrazy.com/

CVS (Pharmacy): http://www.iheartcvs.com/

Publix: http://iheartpublix.com/

No time to clip your own coupons - have someone else do it for you! http://store.kuntryklippers.com/
    Let's move forward to the Constitution.. I am the new GOP. I stand with Rand.

I always shop the deals. I never pay full price for anything unless I'm at Aldi's or a similar discount store, but groceries are going up so quickly that I really feel as if I'm being robbed even when I shop the deals.
    In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes.

I just looked at produce sales this morning - needing salad items. Nothing I saw in the sale sheets on line was worth leaving the house.
    Just me or is anyone else annoyed by the lack of actual prices in sale sheets, instead saying things like.. save up to.. whatever amount.. by one get one free... ? makes me crazy.

I couldn't even find a price on a head of lettuce.. it's all citrus right now on sale.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    if you want to save some real money go to aldi. without wasting x amount of hours finding coupons.
    Rand Benedict Paul.
    Not only did he sell us out, this douche bag did it to his own father! I'm more upset him selling his father out. I don't care who i think is going to win i would never sell my father out. If his willing to sell his father out what else is for sale?

CVS is the ticket. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've purchased $60. or $70. worth of Pantene shampoo/conditioner, Schick razors and I was paid to take them out of the store.

You have to have a CVS Extra Care card though !!! You can get one at the store... then sign up at their website and everytime you purchase $50.00 worth of beauty products/shampoo/razors, etc. you get a $5.00 off coupon. That is $50.00 before coupons.

Here's how you get started with the Sunday newspapers (I buy five each week). This coming Sunday go to CVS and do this:

Transaction 1:

Buy two Right Guard Defense @ $2.99 each
    Use $2.00/2 coupon printable here http://www.redplum.com/pages/viewoff...offerid=119938
    Get back $4.00 in CVS Extra Bucks (same as cash for anything in their store (except smokes and wine)

Get one Advil Children's Suspenion Liquid White Grape 1oz $2.37
    - $1.50/1 Advil Children's Product https://www.facebook.com/childrensad...37656902971961
    Get back $2.37 in Extra Bucks

Get one Glade Scented Oil Base Warmer $1.25
    - Use $1/1 Glade Plugins Scented Oil Warmer https://www.rightathome.com/Offers/P...B8u5QO%20%207g
    Get back $1.25 in Extra Bucks

One Coke 1.25 ltr at .99
    Get back .99 in Extra Bucks

One Lady Speed Stick at 2.99
    Get back $2.00 in Extra Bucks

Check out... Out of pocket is $9.09 and you have $10.00 in Extra Bucks you will use to pay for the second transaction.

Transaction 2:

Get one Bayer Countour Next Meter on sale for $10
    Print page 7 of this flyer http://www.cvs.com/bizcontent/market...inter_2012.pdf to get one bottle
    of one a day vitamins free up to $12.49

Check out and pay with your Extra Bucks from transaction one, get $10.00 extra bucks for buying the Bayer Meter

Transaction 3

Buy 5 Sunday newspapers (be sure Red Plum and Smart Source coupon inserts are there). Cost should be $10.00 .... pay for them with your 10.00 Extra Bucks from transaction 2, and you are out the door with several items with a total out of pocket of $9.08 less than the cost of the newspapers alone.

A great source is www.afullcup.com . The people there give total scenarious based on the different grocery stores, and of course CVS is the ticket.

I wish we had an aldi near here

I don't use any of the stuff in the CVS post... though I guess I could start doing that and giving the items to charity as care kits.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    I don't use any of the stuff in the CVS post... though I guess I could start doing that and giving the items to charity as care kits.
    With CVS -- a lot of times you have to buy stuff you yourself won't use -- in order to "roll" your EC Bucks over (They expire after a month)

This is a great forum for developing transactions:
    http://slickdeals.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38

I took a month to learn the techniques.. and 2 months to implement them while refining -- and had my bathroom, laundry, and some pantry items fully stocked to last me and my family/extended family over a year, and was PAID to do it.

My technique was to just find the best deal a week or two in advance, and repeat the transaction 20 times in a week by buying the coupons online.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    That's exactly what I used to do. But I got even more discounts because I'd pick up all my mom's prescriptions there--they give a percentage of the cost for them every quarter. Between that and coupons, I'd get all kinds of stuff for free, donate appropriate items and get free toilet paper and stuff like Halloween candy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast