Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light bulbs that don't light, washers that don't wash, toilets that don't flush.

Exclamation Light bulbs that don't light, washers that don't wash, toilets that don't flush.

Cars that don't go, cleaners that don't clean, showers that don't spray...

Nothing, and I mean nothing chaps my ass worse than being forced into a new age of shoddy by government decree all for the sake of being "green".

One of the biggest scams in humanity's history.

Mrs. AF bought one of these monstrosities that I despise, it actually can pull off the impossible, rendering clothes dirtier and stinkier at the end rather than beginning, by infusing them with that stale, musty HE washer stank and funk.

The Curse of Government Washing Machines

by Karen De Coster

http://www.lewrockwell.com/decoster/decoster197.html

Many folks never stop to think about the impact that government mandates have on every single facet of their daily lives. Take just one example, and that is the interminable string of decrees on the part of the governmental-environmental-green complex and the ensuing repercussions on the lives of individuals.

This interesting article on Epinions discusses the impact of federal energy efficiency standards for washing machines, including (1) the myths of energy savings (2) the long-term, negative environmental impacts of the high-efficiency machines, and (3) the cost to consumers of the government’s high-efficiency, short-lived washers. The writer notes:

Too many large appliance products are now being engineered to meet priorities that do not include a reasonable interval between repairs and a service life commensurate with their initial cost.

…All high efficiency, high-speed spin washers (both top and front-load) invariably possess a motherboard and a host of electronic parts, and according to those who repair them for a living, washers crammed with multiple electronic sensors, touchpads, digital displays, and miniaturized circuit boards tend to need more frequent repair – i.e. – replacement. They must be kept on an electrical circuit with functioning surge protection, because their vulnerable and expensive solid-state components can easily degrade or burn out with electrical power surges.

The writer points out that the federal government’s 2007 Energy Star standards have, for the most part, eliminated the traditional design for washing machines because those machines cannot obtain the government’s certifications, unlike the newer devices that manufacturers have turned out to specifically meet federal requirements.

I never bought into the high-efficiency (HE) concept, and in fact I have always despised the newfangled front-loader design. I was right when I assumed the opinion that those atrocities were nothing more than an environmental stunt and marketing scam, backed by the force of politics and special interests. Consumers have been sucked into buying these things because of their keen looks and pretty colors. Almost everyone I know has a front-loading machine.

Until November 2009, I still had my mother's old machines that were 20-ish years old, and they worked great, for years, before they both began to slowly poop out. When the dryer ceased to dry in one cycle, and the agitator on my washing machine began to puncture numerous holes in my clothes, it was time to get new appliances. I bought a Kenmore HE washer and dryer combo, on Black Friday at Sears, at half-price.

I did not seek, or want, HE appliances. But I did desire a washer without an agitator, and mostly because of my agonizing two-year battle with my old washer to keep my clothes free of holes. I was planted firmly in the anti-agitator camp. So I wanted an agitator-free top loader, but since those models were all HE, I walked away with the purchase of a new, top-loading HE washer and matching dryer. I should have listened to the appliance salesman at Sears who told me, "You really shouldn’t blame the agitator." In retrospect, it is clear that I blew it on this purchase. And that agitates the heck out of me.

This inefficient, high-efficiency thing has done nothing but break down since I bought it. It once ate, and I mean shredded to bits, an entire blanket, causing the washer to jam up, and the dang water could not empty out of the washer. Service call. The water sat there for two days and stunk up the basement after I gave up on bailing it out. The appliance repairman told me that high-efficiency washers tend to eat delicate stuff because of the high spin speed. Also, I was told, "Oh, you can't wash rugs. These things spin too fast and the weight of rugs will break the drums and other parts. You need to take your rugs to the laundromat." I had been washing my rugs due to hosting a perpetual dog hair festival in my house, and I'll be darn if I will own a washing machine that insists that I go to a laundromat to wash them.

So this piece of junk breaks all the time (I have the 5-year, extended warranty), it eats delicate things, it can't spin rugs, you have to use special HE soap, and it has so many computer boards and electronic parts that it breaks down more quickly than you can say, "my computer is hour-glassing again..." Also, I've had to spin and re-spin clothes many times because the washer doesn't spin the clothes dry enough, thus leading to throwing eighty pounds of water-logged clothes in the dryer, therefore sucking up even more energy from dryer use and repeating drying cycles, and potentially breaking my dryer from the excess weight load. I’ve set my dryer on back-to-back 70-minute cycles in order to dry saturated clothes. Energy savings indeed! Just like the government-mandated, low-flow toilets where the flow is so low that they don't move molehills, let alone mountains.

Well, my washing machine broke again two weeks ago, and if I could lift it like I can lift a laptop, I’m sure I would have hurled it across the basement. Eventually, the machine started working again when I fussed with it a bit, and that lasted a couple of washes while I held my breath waiting for the machine to spite me once and for all. So indeed, it broke again last week, and it took forever for me to get the lid lock to unlock (!) so I could get my clothes out and take them to the laundromat. I had to invent a hatful of magician’s tricks just to get the jaws open to get at my clothes. Then it brazenly hissed at me, followed by the beeping and flashing of numbers and letters in the display in an obsessive-compulsive rage. What a useless piece of crap.

For the most part, we shall not put the blame the manufacturer – instead, blame the government and the politicization of every aspect of our lives. Here’s another passage from the writer of the article.

The government assumes that all high-efficiency, high-speed-spin washer owners – regardless of brand/model - are satisfied with the cleanliness of their clothes and aren't fudging with extra wash or rinse cycles, nor using more hot water in order to increase cleaning power (or to reduce widely-reported high-efficiency front-load washer odors). For those of you who don't precisely match the assumptions in the government model (washing mostly in cold water, using an indoor/outdoor clothesline or drying rack, using a high efficiency solar water heater or heat pump, or washing fewer than eight family-size loads of laundry per week), don’t count on saving much money before you pay to replace that washer again!

I’m tired of being without a washer and waiting for a Saturday repair appointment or taking time off during the week to meet the repairman. And while I wait for the appointment, I drag my clothes to the laundromat, burning $4/gallon petroleum to get there and back, and when I get there I use age-old, 1980s-style, "inefficient" machines to waste the water I was supposedly saving with my new machine that wastes energy, time, money, parts, landfill space, and human energy.

The Sears repairman came by, and I noted he loves to talk. He cornered me in the kitchen with a long conversation following his news, "Sorry, I don’t carry the part you need. It’s going to be several days before we can get the part." I asked him why these newer things were such pieces of crapola, hoping to engage him in one of my dissident discussions.

This man needed no impetus from me – he went on and on about how the government has created these malfunctioning monstrosities, why he will never buy a modern washing machine, and why everyone should look for the more reliable fix-up relics from the past. He fessed up that everyone in the industry – manufacturers, retailers, repairmen, etc. – know that these government-inefficient contraptions are no good, and the challenges of high-efficiency design means they can never be built to last without triggering significant cost increases to the consumer. Thus, in order to manufacture and sell washing appliances at an affordable price, the producers are squeezed to design and build malfunctioning junk that "saves the planet" while the consumers of these products are saddled with green-induced landfill paraphernalia.

In summary, the government’s green totalitarianism has created a massive economic inefficiency with its energy-and-money-wasting, "high efficiency" washing machines.

On a macro level, there exists a diversion of resources due to manufacturers rushing to meet government "voluntary compliance" standards and mandates. Manufacturers are forced to rush shoddy designs to market to meet mandates instead of strategically directing long-term resources toward research and design implementation as desired by consumers in the marketplace.

Wasted energy resources through repeated cycles (spin, wash, extra drying, or otherwise) on the part of users to maintain previous standards for the cleanliness, dryness, and wrinkle effect of clothes.

Increased maintenance and repair cost to consumers over the life of the machine due to the mandates forcing manufacturers to implement substandard product design.

Economic inefficiency to consumers due to the shorter life span of the machine.

Huge landfill graveyards of non-repairable machines that are discarded because they are too costly to be fixed.

When my warranty runs out in 2014, this puppy is going on Craigslist as a "cheap, damaged good," and if that doesn't get any takers, out to the curb she goes, for the garbage pickers.

I'll buy a used, old-fashioned, ugly, water-hogging, rebuilt, grandma washer, as sold by many local fellas who make a living fixing up and selling used appliances.

Until then, I'll keep washing my rugs and keep breaking this thing, and Sears will keep fixing it, on their dime.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    They're trying to turn us into a nation of repairmen. After all, nothing is worse for the environment than a discarded major appliance or automobile.

I can just see us talking to our grandchildren. 'Yes, there was a time when we kind of liked for something to wear out, because the new ones were actually better than the old ones. We used to call it "technological progress"'...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

A while back they took the phosphates out of the dish soap.

I was thinking they looked awful greasy.

I put it right back in. Now they sparkle.

They friken sparkle!!!!!

BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH A!!!

*takes breath*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH A!!!

They replaced the washing machines at my apartment complex with those new front load jobs. I tried them out once. I was going to tell you what I thought about them but I don't want to offend any gay people. Not that there is anything wrong with that. But anyway I put my cloths in there, fired it up, and it sprinkled water on them like it had a limp wrist!

What is going on?

Do we have to go through the whole thing of people getting sick because someone decided that washing dishes wasn't that important? I had just barely crawled out of the cave on that one.

Perhaps every time they counterfeit a dollar it goes into the hands of someone that really shouldn't be getting the voting power of a dollar. They print up so many they are able to out vote the dollars of the people that do know what they are doing!

P.S. It hasn't been so long that I can't remember my Grandmother and Aunt hanging on furiously to their old wash tubs and wash boards.

There was a new laundry mat that had the latest top loading machines I have been accustomed to all of my life. They said they didn't work as good.

What the ladies liked on washing day was to all go to the old laundry where they had wash tubs and boards. It is sort of hazy but I sort of remember an open square tub with an agitator in the middle ( no men allowed except for hauling in and out pretty much.). I don't think there was a lid. There were sticks around that you could poke at stuff with. Sometimes they would be poking. Other times that ol'stick would gab in and out would come the piece of laundry they were fishing for. If it didn't look just right they would be at the washing board scrubbing away on it. I sort of think there might have been rinse tubs but maybe the wash water was replaced with clean.

Warsh day was quite a ritual.

Oh and Granny didn't like finding bullets in your pockets while she was beating on things!

I forgot about the wringers! Maybe that was her beef with the bullets.

Also I was thinking the tubs were square but these look familiar.

As do hand wringers.

Wonder why? It's one group of producers using the government to attack a competitive group of producers who they envy. Seeing as they can't out compete, they simply wine to the government [lobbying] to hobble the other guys that make better stuff. The consumer is left with inferior crap thanks to people who suck at making things, hiring criminals to threaten their betters. Think Lance Armstrong; His competitors love that he is being stripped.. It gives them a chance to be the top cyclist with out being compared to the great one.

That about sums it up.

Case in point: Apple vs. Samsung. Apple has had Samsung covered in patent goons all because they make a competing product. God forbid they might want to sell it in "Apples market"... Farce , fraud and cronyism. As a purchasing human being you loose by this behavior.

Can't find a clip but Mike West of "New South", "Clothes Dryer"

lyrics

http://www.mikewest.net/songs/new_so...hes_dryer.html
    Last edited by presence; 11-10-2012 at 04:57 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hell yes, throw that new-fangled "green" $#@! in a $#@!ing river. $#@! the low-flo showerheads too. It takes twice as long to get the shampoo out of my hair with those things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Hell yes, throw that new-fangled "green" $#@! in a $#@!ing river. $#@! the low-flo showerheads too. It takes twice as long to get the shampoo out of my hair with those things.
    Don't get mad get even. There's a little plastic washer in there. Unscrew head, remove washer, put head back on gooseneck.

-plumber

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    They're trying to turn us into a nation of repairmen. After all, nothing is worse for the environment than a discarded major appliance or automobile.

I can just see us talking to our grandchildren. 'Yes, there was a time when we kind of liked for something to wear out, because the new ones were actually better than the old ones. We used to call it "technological progress"'...
    aka, a nation of employed people. Tell that to the people who can't stop bitching about joblessness.

Quote Originally Posted by Tpoints View Post
    aka, a nation of employed people. Tell that to the people who can't stop bitching about joblessness.
    Meh, better jobs and wages would be had manufacturing high quality durable goods than can be made fixing cheap Chinese and Mexican made crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Meh, better jobs and wages would be had manufacturing high quality durable goods than can be made fixing cheap Chinese and Mexican made crap.
    the person who doesn't have a job doesn't care whether there are going to be "better jobs" while he's waiting on his (any).

I hate my HE washer. It freaking reeks.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

"Light bulbs that don't light"

You light candles, you turn on light bulbs. Can't help you with your wash machine, though.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

How Government is Unraveling Civilization by Force | Jeffrey Tucker

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have an HE washer that actually works quite well. I can't necessarily attest to it's water or electricity savings, but it does clean my clothes as good as any other washer I've used - just takes a little longer than a non-HE washer.

I still have an older washer that's got next to no electronics in it. The only thing that's tempted me to upgrade was an LG unit that washed and dried. (Popular in Europe, I think.) But reading the reviews, I saw that they were ventless, and the lint gathered in a part of the machine that wasn't serviceable by mere mortals. So, I'm still toting around my 25 year old appliances. The gasket on the dryer came loose. I found a replacement for $30 - for a round piece of rubber? Uh, plan b: found some glue in a drawer.

Too bad - somebody should have told Karen you can buy agitators. And they're easy to install, too.

I have to respectfully disagree with this thread. I have found many great energy efficient appliances that work just great. But I do lots of research before buying anything. Because I have got some things that suck, but I learned my lesson. Got a new Maytag made in USA bravos xl washer and dryer set, HE and energy star. It ROCKS. It's a Toploader with glass top. Cleanest clothes I have ever had. And it has saved me so much money on my energy and water bills it practically paid for itself already. And the XL capacity has saved me so much time as well. Light bulbs that don't light? Get LEDS. stay away from the CFL's impressed you buy the good ones that don't have to heat up before reaching full brightness. Low flow shower head... I purchased a waterpik ecoflow. Do not notice a difference whatsoever in water pressure because I stayed away from the other brands that had bad reviews. I did notice my water bill had dropped by about $20 though so in two Billing cycles it Will pay for itself. My only complaint is that is made it of plastic but what isn't these days? Besides it's a handheld one and I don't have to worry about it hurting if I drop it on my foot.

Quote Originally Posted by youngbuck View Post
    I have an HE washer that actually works quite well. I can't necessarily attest to it's water or electricity savings, but it does clean my clothes as good as any other washer I've used - just takes a little longer than a non-HE washer.
    yes it takes longer because it spins the water all out... This leads to practically dry clothes when it comes out of the washer. So I rarely have to use my dryer wHich has saved so much money

I've always hated the front loading machines.. refused to get one when we got the house in 07.. had to get a washer and dryer though.. hard to find a top loader that made me happy but did get one that works. I'm still not wild that there's no such thing as a warm rinse though - I can however, have an extra rinse cycle with this one.

my 80s model fridge (that I absolutely adored) just crapped out a couple weeks ago (kenmore model 87 if anyone remembers it) It just stopped cooling at all one day.. then the next day the small door on the front fell off.. and completely shattered. expiration date must have been that week.

We got a used fridge.. that I'm not as happy with but when you need a fridge... if it fits in the space and works.. and doesn't cost a grand... done.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I still have an older washer that's got next to no electronics in it. The only thing that's tempted me to upgrade was an LG unit that washed and dried. (Popular in Europe, I think.) But reading the reviews, I saw that they were ventless, and the lint gathered in a part of the machine that wasn't serviceable by mere mortals. So, I'm still toting around my 25 year old appliances. The gasket on the dryer came loose. I found a replacement for $30 - for a round piece of rubber? Uh, plan b: found some glue in a drawer.

Too bad - somebody should have told Karen you can buy agitators. And they're easy to install, too.
    My son had one of those in his apartment in Korea. I've no idea what brand it was, but it was one of those units that washes and dries. He hated it. That said, he's the kind that irons absolutely everything, but he complained more about his laundry than about not being able to drive for a year. He said something about the clothes looking like they had come out of the trash compactor.

I'm still nursing my not very new top loading washer. I have a trash tie around the lid switch. I took it apart and glued it once, but it broke again after about a year. I should probably just order a new one. They're only $10, but when the thing breaks it's always in the middle of a load, and it needs to be fixed asap. Amazon's fast, but not fast enough to get that load done that day. The local hardware store wanted around $50 for the same part. I'll buy local when the price is a little higher, but not that much higher. Maybe I should order that thing this afternoon--while the switch is still working.
    In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    +Rep ten times over. I was getting ready to launch a rant about exactly that subject.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Don't get mad get even. There's a little plastic washer in there. Unscrew head, remove washer, put head back on gooseneck.

-plumber
    I always do! Unfortunately, some of the newest models seem to be created so that's impossible.

I've had people laugh at me when I tell them this, but I always carry a nice high-flow shower head with me when I'm on the road. It only takes a few seconds to swap the 2.5 gpm DribbleMaster2000 with my nice luxurious high-flow.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    -plumber
    Mine didn't have a removable washer, it was a permanent restricter. So I took the drill to it and opened it, a lot.

I probably use twice as much water now that I have a low flo kitchen sink faucet. Every time I go to fill up the sink to do some dishes or fill a pot with water I walk away because I can't stand to "stand there" for 5 minutes just to fill the sink. So what happens? I overflo everything because I am busy elsewhere.

We can't have phosphate in our soap to allow it to work, but they can put it in children's cereal?

Quote Originally Posted by RockEnds View Post
    My son had one of those in his apartment in Korea. I've no idea what brand it was, but it was one of those units that washes and dries. He hated it. That said, he's the kind that irons absolutely everything, but he complained more about his laundry than about not being able to drive for a year. He said something about the clothes looking like they had come out of the trash compactor.

That's funny, because I didn't see that in a single review, even though I expected to. People there were talking about how wonderful it was to be able to come home from work and take their unwrinkled clothing out of the dryer. But the ventless thing kills it for me. No way am I spending $1500 on a machine that is going to break because of a serious engineering flaw?

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotOne View Post
    I probably use twice as much water now that I have a low flo kitchen sink faucet. Every time I go to fill up the sink to do some dishes or fill a pot with water I walk away because I can't stand to "stand there" for 5 minutes just to fill the sink. So what happens? I overflo everything because I am busy elsewhere.
    Yeah, this is TMI, but I flush twice a lot more than I used to.

This thread makes me think about 1984 and the dull razor blades.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast