Thread: What Now for Minnesota?

What Now for Minnesota?

Yesterday was rough for liberty lovers and the rest of the GOP in our state. The DFL returned with a vengeance. They took over the legislature and Dayton is still Governor.

Bills was soundly defeated. Mainstream supported Republicans Bachmann and Cravaack came under heavy fire or lost. I'm not aware of any liberty Republican who made it to the state legislature yesterday, but I could be wrong.

So, where do we go from here? Seems like the MN GOP will be in further disarray for 2014, but Bills' defeat proves that we have to come at this from a better angle if we nominate someone from our side to take on Dayton or Franken in a couple years. Otherwise, the Dems will just steamroll us again. On the plus side, the Presidential sideshow is gone in two years, which always hampers the left when liberal students and minorities refuse to show up for the mid-terms.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It takes a lot of time to have a leadership role in the state GOP. Maybe some of the GOP Party leadership could stop spending so much time doing that and spend more time volunteering for the pro-liberty candidates running in GOP or swing districts?

Don't worry MN GOP, it looks like the folks in the ME GOP are in the same boat. I think at least 1 pro-liberty candidate won with the IA GOP. Thought, I guess, at least IA and ME (a Democratic will get elected in 2 years in ME) have GOP governors.

Maybe send more candidates to the Leadership Institute in DC or do a few LI classes in MN?
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Victory was not possible for Kurt this time. Not in a Presidential year, and not with the gay issue on the ballot.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Victory was not possible for Kurt this time. Not in a Presidential year, and not with the gay issue on the ballot.
    Maybe he should try for State Senate? Hopefully he still has a lot of contacts and 10s of 1000s of dollars in the bank. He can use that to start a state senate campaign. Otherwise, he should at least try to win his old state house seat back.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Maybe he should try for State Senate? Hopefully he still has a lot of contacts and 10s of 1000s of dollars in the bank. He can use that to start a state senate campaign. Otherwise, he should at least try to win his old state house seat back.
    I think Bills should just hold out for US House. He's from John Kline's fairly red district, and Kline certainly can't last too many more terms in the House. Bills would have a great shot at taking this seat in the near future.

Sadly, Bills did not run for re-election to the MN House because he had to focus fully on the Senate run. Funny you should mention State Senate. Bills' old boss, a former Principal of Rosemount High School, was elected as a Democrat in the Senate district where Bills lives. It would be pretty weird if he tried to run in that race, but by the time it opens again, Kline could well be stepping down and his efforts would be better spent there.

Side note: I graduated from Rosemount High School years ago and it's weird to see a lot of the same people who were faculty when I was a student running for these high political offices. First Bills, now my old Principal. The father of a guy I knew in High School ran as a Democrat and lost for Bills' open MN House seat last night as well. I ran into this fellow years ago at the first little third party caucus I ever attended (I think it was a Green or Independence Party back when I was an ignorant first time voter). Seemed like an okay guy for a Democrat.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    Yeah, his lists should be good for that sort of thing; name recognition too.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst