Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If You Had $20k and No Savings...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If You Had $20k and No Savings...

What would you do with the money right now? I'm asking in complete seriousness, and could really use the advice. Where would you invest? And mutual funds worth looking at? How much into gold & silver?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If I had $20K, I would say I had savings.....
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post
    If I had $20K, I would say I had savings.....
    Haha, well my savings WERE Apple stock, but I had to bail on it because I think it's a sinking ship. I'm a small business owner making $800 a month, so it will be a long journey before I have more money to invest. I just need a safe place for that money. Inflation makes savings accounts pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by botounami View Post
    Haha, well my savings WERE Apple stock, but I had to bail on it because I think it's a sinking ship. I'm a small business owner making $800 a month, so it will be a long journey before I have more money to invest. I just need a safe place for that money. Inflation makes savings accounts pointless.
    what kind of business do you own? if you run a business, $20k shouldn't be hard to use

Good luck with your business. I just wonder what made you want to start one now? Living off of $800/month is not easy, so I assume you just started it and are starting to build. What business are you in?
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Do you own a home yet? If not get a duplex/triplex/quad and take advantage of the government's FHA program, and make money by renting out the other unit(s)

<= 3.5% interest rates
    3.5% money down
    270k max loan for single family, up to I think ~500k max loan for a quadplex property.

These loans are guaranteed by our wonderfully generous government, so if you have anything better than terrible credit you instantly qualify.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by bxm042 View Post
    Do you own a home yet? If not get a duplex/triplex/quad and take advantage of the government's FHA program, and make money by renting out the other unit(s)

<= 3.5% interest rates
    3.5% money down
    270k max loan for single family, up to I think ~500k max loan for a quadplex property.

These loans are guaranteed by our wonderfully generous government, so if you have anything better than terrible credit you instantly qualify.
    I just lost my car in Hurricane sandy and Im set to get a fat check from Insurance. Anyone have anymore information on this? Sounds like a interesting idea. I cant seem to find quadplex properties online....

Put the 20k to work.
    “One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That will get me by , to Thanksgiving .

Quote Originally Posted by Czolgosz View Post
    Put the 20k to work.
    This.
    Figure out a way to make that $20k turn your $800/mo small business into a $5k/mo small business.
    Even if it only ends up being $2500, you can still spend 20 months saving up the $20k again, and still have almost twice the income.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Curious , how are you living on 800 a month ? I am getting read to throw $1500 in the mail for bills

Consumerism is a bitch. It creeps up on you pretty quickly. I learned a lot about it the first time I moved from my house to an apartment...couldn't believe how much crap I've purchased and only use irregularly.
    “One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” (Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910).

Quote Originally Posted by Czolgosz View Post
    Consumerism is a bitch. It creeps up on you pretty quickly. I learned a lot about it the first time I moved from my house to an apartment...couldn't believe how much crap I've purchased and only use irregularly.
    Wow I hear you. I've spent the last week cleaning out closets, garage, attic and basement. They're going to need another Goodwill store for my $#@! when I'm done.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

Is this money you may be needing in the next couple years? If so (and you indicate you want safety), you want to take less risk than if you won't need it for a long time. You will at least want to keep enough in a safe, liquid form to be able to cover all your expenses for a year (they used to say about six months but given the current employment situation I would want a year) should you for some reason lose your income source. I would not put that money into stocks or metals. But having said that, where I have a block of my "emergency fund" is in a stock- a dividend paying utility stock. Look into DRIPs or Dividend ReInvestment Plans- the cheapest way to invest in stocks (lower costs means higher returns). I get a guaranteed return with the dividend and utility stocks tend to be pretty stable so are less risky than other stocks. I keep another chunk (at least three months expenses) in a basic bank account. Low interest but safe keeping for the money. Having a reserve was critical the last time I found myself out of work- and it took 11 months to find a new job.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Is this money you may be needing in the next couple years? If so (and you indicate you want safety), you want to take less risk than if you won't need it for a long time. You will at least want to keep enough in a safe, liquid form to be able to cover all your expenses for a year (they used to say about six months but given the current employment situation I would want a year) should you for some reason lose your income source. I would not put that money into stocks or metals. But having said that, where I have a block of my "emergency fund" is in a stock- a dividend paying utility stock. Look into DRIPs or Dividend ReInvestment Plans- the cheapest way to invest in stocks (lower costs means higher returns). I get a guaranteed return with the dividend and utility stocks tend to be pretty stable so are less risky than other stocks. I keep another chunk (at least three months expenses) in a basic bank account. Low interest but safe keeping for the money. Having a reserve was critical the last time I found myself out of work- and it took 11 months to find a new job.
    I'm in the same position, looks like just a little over 11 months and I have a new gig.

pay off debt(s)

We're being governed ruled by a geriatric Alzheimer patient/puppet whose strings are being pulled by an elitist oligarchy who believe they can manage the world... imagine the utter maniacal, sociopathic hubris!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls' Revere View Post
    pay off debt(s)
    Not being in debt is awesome. I only work part time and I've already saved up almost $3k in savings even while keeping my car in perfect running condition and eating out a good bit. That's after only being on the workforce for less than a year with a $8/hour job. Imagine what happens when I get a promotion/raise. Here's to beating the economy with very few responsibilities.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

What would you do with the money right now? I'm asking in complete seriousness, and could really use the advice. Where would you invest? And mutual funds worth looking at? How much into gold & silver?
    Will you need the money in the short term? Most advisers would say that you need a liquid emergency fund.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Congratulations! I was so happy to be finally working again! I did not care that I was working for a lot less money than before- it was more money than not working and I had the chance to work my way up. Now I make more than I used to. Looking for work was very frustrating and really sucked. A really crappy job is better than trying to find a job for that long.

Congratulations! I was so happy to be finally working again! I did not care that I was working for a lot less money than before- it was more money than not working and I had the chance to work my way up. Now I make more than I used to. Looking for work was very frustrating and really sucked. A really crappy job is better than trying to find a job for that long.
    Indeed :-)

I'm making about 10% less, but getting back in the saddle is worth it. I tried getting a crappy job, nobody would hire me...really a lame position to be in.

I'd put it all into a savings account and then I would have savings.

Assuming I had no home no car and no job, I would build myself a tiny house (one of those 100 square foot homes) with solar panels for heat and a wood stove for warmth at a cost of less than $10,000, buy a cheap car that can tow it and find someone that is willing to let me stay in their driveway and use their water. I would have a home with no debt that I can take anywhere I need, a car to get me anywhere I need, and I could find a minimum wage job and have next to no expenses beyond food/wood/water which would all be pretty cheap. And if i could I would not even get a car at all which would eliminate car maintenance costs. From there I could save several thousand a year and after a few years I would have more money than I started with. At that point I could start investing.
    No more IRS.
    I am now old enough to vote.

100 square foot would be ten feet by ten feet. That is indeed tiny.

100 square foot would be ten feet by ten feet. That is indeed tiny.
    About the size of a Manhattan studio.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Setting your sites kind of low there 2young, eh? $20,000 isn't a lot of money. Why would you want to work a minimum wage job?

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Setting your sites kind of low there 2young, eh? $20,000 isn't a lot of money. Why would you want to work a minimum wage job?
    When I say minimum wage job I don't necessarily mean I'd actually earn minimum wage, I just meant a low paying job that can be easily found around the city. Obviously if I could get a better job I would, but the low paying one is the starting point to get going. I made an excel spreadsheet and estimated that someone could put anywhere from $5000 to $7000 a year into a savings account while making $14000 a year if they lived frugally and didn't have a car and mortgage and huge electric/gas/plumbing bills. The idea is to take care of all of the necessities in life before taking any risks.
    No more IRS.
    I am now old enough to vote.

It would depend on a lot of other factors... do you have a steady job? Do you have debt? Do you have any future obligations coming due in the near future, etc.

Google for Harry Browne's Permanant Portfolio and that is a good place to start.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I would invest it in different places . Tools that never go obsolete and are highly sought after, maybe a rifle, some pre 1960s minted u.s. coins and just spend it .Id probably spend it on something like obtaining a very rare but in demand trade skill and the tools to do that trade .

I'd buy a $20,000 diamond ring and marry a doctor.

Seriously, keep it in cash for emergencies. Your next dollar would be a good fit for Vanguard's Total Stock Market Index.
    Last edited by Jordan; 11-07-2012 at 05:05 PM.

6.5k pole barn
    5k solar panels and batteries
    2.5k 4x triaxle loads firewood logs
    2k backhoe upgrades
    1k remaining parts for diesel swap on truck
    1k Quaife LSD for my 50 mpg TDI
    1k Mason jar, under grade.
    1k Home Depot Tool department
    Last edited by presence; 11-07-2012 at 06:02 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast