Thread: The Obama Dump

The Obama Dump

Obama is victorious, and the markets are responding by selling off.

An Early 300-Point Plunge Pulls Dow Back Below 13,000

Stocks plunge after election; Europe woes deepen
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Some think this is more a reaction to Europe than a reaction to Obama. European markets were down by a similar amount. The US political concern is the threat of the "financial cliff" if budget reductions cannot be agreed on by the end of the year and the basic players in the budget battle (which engaged in brinkmanship on the Debt Ceiling debate) are the same- Obama president, Democratic Senate with Republicans enough to fillibuster and a Republican House. Nothing really changed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2088108.html

Stock Markets Slide As Europe Slashes Its Growth Forecast

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Some think this is more a reaction to Europe than a reaction to Obama.
    Lol! Now that is funny. Europe has been a disaster for years. This was about Obama.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

The Market Sell-Off has Begun

300 points off the DOW so far. With capital gains going up (up to 20 percent) and with the regulatory noose tightening in a myriad of sectors, expect the sell-off to be steady until the end of the year. Some analysts are speculating an end of the year S&P 500 of 1250.
    Last edited by AuH20; 11-07-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Currently moving back up- DOW is up 100 from its low for the day.

I hope silver explodes, I have a ton of it.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Politically nothing changed. Congress is the same. President the same. It was not unexpected that Obama would probably win. No- I don't think that was the main reason for the drop. The focus is now on Europe's issues and the Fiscal Cliff. Those are big uncertainties about the future and markets hate uncertainty.

This sounds like less war the next 4 years.

That's a very good thing!

-t

Politically nothing changed. Congress is the same. President the same. It was not unexpected that Obama would probably win. No- I don't think that was the main reason for the drop. The focus is now on Europe's issues and the Fiscal Cliff. Those are big uncertainties about the future and markets hate uncertainty.
    Nothing has changed with regard to Europe. Your talking point is all over the left media today. Sorry, this was a reaction to Obama being elected, there is little doubt about that. Investors were mad, and some of them sold in protest. Purely political.

Interesting. Europe just downgraded their forcasts for the future- that led to the European exchanges losing 1.5% or more and the US market followed their lead. Even the so- far powerhouse Germany is being effected.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/eur...BCM/story.html

EU: Eurozone recession to be worse, rebound slower

BRUSSELS (AP) — Europe’s economy is still reeling and unemployment could remain high for years despite the progress made in solving the debt crisis, the European Union warned Wednesday, as it downgraded next year’s forecasts for the 27-country bloc.

The European Commission, the executive arm of the EU, on Wednesday revised down its forecast for the region’s gross domestic product, which it now expects to grow by just 0.4 percent in 2013, compared to its expectations this spring of 1.3 percent growth.

The commission had previously expected the 17 countries that use the euro to find its footing next year, with 1 percent growth. Now it predicts only a 0.1 percent uptick.

The report also suggests that unemployment won’t start falling until 2014 — and then only slightly.

‘‘Europe is going through a difficult process of macroeconomic rebalancing and adjustment, which will last for some time still,’’ Olli Rehn, the EU’s economic and monetary affairs commissioner, told reporters. ‘‘Market stress has been reduced but there is certainly no room for complacency.’’

The downbeat forecast helped erase an initial euphoria in markets over President Barack Obama’s re-election, with France’s CAC-40 stock index and the DAX in Germany both down 1.5 percent in afternoon trading Wednesday.
    The commission’s report also confirms that the crisis is not sparing even Germany, Europe’s largest economy and the traditional motor for growth.

It predicted that Germany would eke out just 0.8 percent growth in 2012, compared with its earlier forecast of 1.7 percent. ECB President Mario Draghi warned Wednesday that ‘‘the latest data suggest that these developments are now starting to affect’’ the German economy.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 11-07-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Interesting. Europe just downgraded their forcasts for the future- that led to the European exchanges losing 1.5% or more and the US market followed their lead. Even the so- far powerhouse Germany is being effected.
    Yeah, right. And if the DOW jumped up 350 points today then CNN (and you) would be claiming it was the Obama bump.

There is bad news out of Europe on a daily basis. Nothing new there.

Also bear in mind that it was up over 130 points yesterday- with odds makers predicting an Obama victory. Retracing that takes out half of today's fall. It does not really matter what stocks do in one day (unless they majorly collapse) but what they do over time.

Stocks have done pretty well under Obama. When he took office on January 20, 2009 the DOW was just under 8,000 (granted this was after the economy had collapsed and was starting to improve). A 62% increase to date. If you want to credit what stocks do to Obama (which is giving him far more credit than he deserves- I would not credit him with that or today's numbers). The market was down that day as well (also over 300 points). http://daytradingstockblog.blogspot....ck-market.html
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 11-07-2012 at 03:19 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Also bear in mind that it was up over 130 points yesterday- with odds makers predicting an Obama victory. Retracing that takes out half of today's fall. It does not really matter what stocks do in one day (unless they majorly collapse) but what they do over time.

Stocks have done pretty well under Obama. When he took office on January 20, 2009 the DOW was just under 8,000 (granted this was after the economy had collapsed and was starting to improve). A 62% increase to date. If you want to credit what stocks do to Obama (which is giving him far more credit than he deserves- I would not credit him with that or today's numbers). The market was down that day as well (also over 300 points). http://daytradingstockblog.blogspot....ck-market.html
    Of course, much of the money creation is going into the major market indexes, artificially propping them up. Thank Bernanke and the Fed for that.

All stock markets are *slightly* in the red today. The general trend has been after large sell off days (yesterday) a large green day follows. It looks like stock markets are rolling over.

It is very, very telling that precious metals are holding steady and slightly up, while stocks are down a lot. It is inevitable (perhaps not imminent) that the two assets diverge, and it may be occuring now.
    Last edited by Seraphim; 11-08-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    "Like an army falling, one by one by one" - Linkin Park