Thread: House Speaker Boehner calls for 'down payment' on 'fiscal cliff'

House Speaker Boehner calls for 'down payment' on 'fiscal cliff'

In a rare sight, the ordinarily off-the-cuff Speaker used a teleprompter for his statement in the most formal of Capitol settings – the Rayburn Room just off the House floor. He took no questions from reporters, and within minutes, Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.), Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) and the chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, Rep. Dave Camp (R-Mich.), issued statements echoing Boehner’s message.

“What we can do,” Boehner continued, “is avert the cliff in a manner that serves as a down payment on – and a catalyst for – major solutions, enacted in 2013, that begin to solve the problem.”

If Congress does not act before Jan. 1, taxes will go up on virtually every American, and automatic spending cuts that both Democrats and Republicans have decried will kick in. The combination could send the nation back into recession, economists have warned.

Boehner’s remarks came as part of a carefully choreographed effort by House Republicans to assert their share of authority

“For purposes of forging a bipartisan agreement that begins to solve the problem, we’re willing to accept new revenue, under the right conditions,” Boehner said. “What matters is where the increased revenue comes from, and what type of reform comes with it.”

“Does the increased revenue come from government taking a larger share of what the American people earn through higher tax rates?" he said. “Or does it come as the byproduct of a growing economy, energized by a simpler, cleaner, fairer tax code, with fewer loopholes, and lower rates for all?”

http://thehill.com/video/house/26666...-fiscal-cliff-
    Last edited by presence; 11-07-2012 at 05:43 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm probably in the minority here, but if it takes tax increases to get a serious debt plan on the table, then I'm all for it. I know it won't happen though.

And yes I know if they do it right, it probably will prevent the crash we are all "hoping" for. But for me there is a certain level of tyranny I am willing to
    tolerate. (I know, I know)

Before you all jump on me, what I'm saying is....

Fiscally responsible government
    end the drug war
    abolish the fed
    end the War on Terror
    follow the Bill of Rights.

I can live quite happily in that America, even if it isn't perfect.
    Last edited by thequietkid10; 11-07-2012 at 10:21 PM.

But they won't learn. They never learn, so it won't happen.