Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What are the consequences if you just quit paying your credit cards?

Quote Originally Posted by The Free Hornet View Post
    You can pay many federal and state taxes with a credit card. Who would you rather owe money too? Sweet enough?
    The discussion was not about paying government. Government is an entirely different thing, altogether.

You thought libertarians were a hive mind?
    No, but I thought they had principles. Thanks for setting me straight though.
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 04-25-2013 at 09:58 AM.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

Cultural Marxism: The Corruption of America

The Property Basis of Rights

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    [I'm not used to just walking away from bills I owe, but I don't hesitate to walk away from bull$#@!.
    You didn't walk away from bills you owed. You walked away from some con artists.
    ================
    Open Borders: A Libertarian Reappraisal or why only dumbasses and cultural marxists are for it.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    Yeah in Michigan just expect to get served and then a default judgement even if you try to fight it. They can garnish checking accounts with judgement in hand. As a business owner I've gotten judgements against people who didn't pay, it's a simple enough filing. Garnishing a checking account is a little tricky because you can pay a fee and hit whatever is in a specific account at that time. If there isn't anything there you can pay and try again but it's a per instant attempt and not like a running draw. So a little bit of a gamble.
    Wow. That seems like it could be very easily abused.

I was looking into a contracting company that advertises incessantly (Hanson's) and they are so obviously a shady company that consistently rips people off that I wondered how they stay in business--seems they do a lot of suing.
    Those who want liberty must organize as effectively as those who want tyranny. -- Iyad el Baghdadi

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    Yeah in Michigan just expect to get served and then a default judgement even if you try to fight it. They can garnish checking accounts with judgement in hand. As a business owner I've gotten judgements against people who didn't pay, it's a simple enough filing. Garnishing a checking account is a little tricky because you can pay a fee and hit whatever is in a specific account at that time. If there isn't anything there you can pay and try again but it's a per instant attempt and not like a running draw. So a little bit of a gamble.

Very interesting. Let me ask you this: how do you know if the defendant has a checking account? Or does your lawyer handle all that for you?

And how is it cost effective for small sums? I can't get a lawyer to talk to me for less than $250 it seems, so I can't imagine the fees for filing the forms and then the follow up being worth much in the way of legal expenses.

Can they garnish a crypto account? A mason jar? A gold bar buried in the state forest?

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

What you are describing is libertinism; not libertarianism.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    BS back at you.

Failure to fulfill one's end of a contract if one had full honest intention of fulfilling it originally is not theft. Sure "your legal person" still "owes the money" but that doesn't mean when your "flesh and bones self" continues to feed your "flesh and bones family" before one pays the civil debts of your "legal person" is "theft". You're way out in the world of debtors prison if you believe such is a criminal theft.

However, borrowing money with the FRAUDULENT INTENTION of not paying it back IS theft, but one can certainly sleep in good conscience knowing there is no fraud or crime in failing to be able to pay your debts due to misfortune. CC companies enter CIVIL contracts with known risks. Failure of the borrower to maintain liquidity is a risk they take.

Never feel sorry for fictitious, state incorporated, bailout pumped, "too big to fail" legalized entity, fractional-reserve, multinational, 80 pages of fine print that means anything they want it to mean, fiat bank.

F them.

My advice if you are suffering from way of life endangering financial misfortune and are already in a "default rate" hole you'll never buy your way out of...

Feed your family 1st.
    Stabilize yourself in cash, crypto, tangibles that cannot be seized, and precious metals 2nd.
    Manage your cashflow wisely and ditch your unneeded expenses; read netflix, home shopping network habit, and ice cream night.
    Get yourself 3 months ahead on life expenses; food, rent, utitilities.
    Get a beater vehicle, paid cash in your name.
    From that stable ground; if it takes a few months or a few years...
    Concern yourself with your credit last; if need be don't bother with it until you can afford a lawyer.

Realize in the mean time there will be some rough repercussions... but nothing that hard work, humility, and cash can't get you out of.

If you owe $2500 a month in unsecured debt and $1000 a month to your landlord and the grocery store, but you just took a pay cut from 70K a year to 18K... Don't think you're a hero giving that grocery and roof money to Visa while your kids go hungry.

Just because your legal person owes a debt
    doesn't mean your living self
    is a quasi chattel slave in

peonage

to that debt.
    ================

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Very interesting. Let me ask you this: how do you know if the defendant has a checking account? Or does your lawyer handle all that for you?

And how is it cost effective for small sums? I can't get a lawyer to talk to me for less than $250 it seems, so I can't imagine the fees for filing the forms and then the follow up being worth much in the way of legal expenses.
    No need for a lawyer if a customer stiffed you for a bill and you want to handle it yourself. A small filing fee gets you a hearing before a judge. A process server was less than $100 to make sure they got served. It was less than $50 for filing last time I did it but it's been a few years. You see a judge, present bills and they determine if it's a valid claim. If defendant doesn't show up you automatically win. You can tack on reasonable court expenses to the bill also. It's a typical small claims court.

With the judgement in hand you can contact a repo person and they can grab any vehicle in public that person owns to help cover the debt - even if the debt wasn't for the vehicle. I forget the fee details for a checking account garnishment.
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12