Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega-3 fatty acids another scam?

Omega-3 fatty acids another scam?

Another fad bites the dust?

(Reuters) - Omega-3 fatty acids, found in oily fish such as sardines and salmon and once touted as a way of staving off heart disease and stroke, don't help after all, according to a Greek study.

Based on a review and analysis of previous clinical trials including more than 68,000 participants, Greek researchers whose report appeared in the Journal of the American Medical Association said the fatty acids have no impact on overall death rates, deaths from heart disease, or strokes and heart attacks.

This was true whether they were obtained from supplements such as pills, or from fish in the diet, said the researchers, led by Mosef Elisef at the University Hospital of Ioannina.

"Overall, omega-3...supplementation was not associated with a lower risk of all-cause mortality, cardiac death, sudden death, myocardial infarction, or stroke based on relative and absolute measures of association," Elisef and his team wrote.

A decade ago, medical evidence suggested that boosting omega-3s, including the acids known as EPA and DHA, with food or supplements had a strong protective effect even though the mechanism wasn't understood.

Scientists cited improvements in levels of triglycerides - a type of fat in the blood - as well as blood pressure levels and heart rhythm disturbances.

But since then, the picture has grown clouded. Earlier this year, a group of Korean researchers found that omega-3 supplements had no effect on heart disease or death based on 20,000 participants in previous trials.

The current study pooled results of 18 clinical trials that assigned participants randomly to take either omega-3 supplements, or not. It also includes two trials in which people got dietary counseling to increase their consumption of omega-3 rich foods.

Because the trials in the Greek analysis went as far back as 1989, researchers also considered whether growing use of statins and other medications could explain why later studies failed to support the earlier findings. But Elisef and his team said that wasn't the case.

Because people who eat a lot of fish have been found to have less heart disease, researchers figured that perhaps putting the supposed "active ingredients" in a pill could provide similar benefits, said Alice Lichtenstein, director of the Cardiovascular Nutrition Laboratory at Tufts University in Boston.

"What we have learned over the years is you can't think about individual nutrients in isolation," she added.

People who eat fish often may be replacing things like steak, hamburgers or quiche, making for a healthier diet.

Instead of supplements, Lichtenstein recommended eating fish at least twice a week, having a diet rich in whole grains and vegetables, getting lots of physical activity, and not smoking.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ls-fatty-acids
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yup. Doesn't matter how much omega 3 you eat. What matters is the omega 3 to omega 6 RATIO. You can eat a ton of omega 3 but if you are also eating a ton and a half of omega 6, you will still be screwed because they compete for metabolic pathways. The average American gets about twenty TIMES more omega 6 than omega 3, so just gobbling down omega 3 supps will not help much. You need to dramatically reduce the omega 6 intake.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    Yup. Doesn't matter how much omega 3 you eat. What matters is the omega 3 to omega 6 RATIO. You can eat a ton of omega 3 but if you are also eating a ton and a half of omega 6, you will still be screwed because they compete for metabolic pathways. The average American gets about twenty TIMES more omega 6 than omega 3, so just gobbling down omega 3 supps will not help much. You need to dramatically reduce the omega 6 intake.
    That's how I understand it, omega 6 is highly inflammatory and causes heart disease. Omega 3 just happens to be a healthy fat that is good to eat and metabolize for energy.

Still, the study could be flawed. Increasing the omega 3s in your body would theoretically increase the omega ratio. We've been told for some time that 'good fats' help combat 'bad fats', though I don't hear as much of that talk from the paleo/primal crowd.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

Well, if this is the case, then these are hurting you. all high in O6

Safflower Oil
    Grapeseed Oil
    Wheat Germ Oil
    Corn Oil
    Walnut Oil
    Cottonseed Oil
    Soybean Oil
    Vegetable Oil
    Sunflower Oil
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

There is a worlds difference between plant based and animal based EFAs. Animal sourced omega 6 is inflammatory; while plant based n6 is anti-inflammatory. The body actually needs more n6 than n3, but the source matters the most. While it does take more plant based n3 (ALA) to convert into DHA/EPA, the conversion really isn't as important as once thought. ALA in itself is very important.

Yea.'
    It seems "food science" is just a tool to sell a bunch of useless supplements.
    People pretty much have a good instinct as to what food is healthy and what is trash.

You want to lose weight and decrease heart risk?
    Eat less and exercise more.
    If that's too hard, accept the risks of obesity. There is no magic.
    But, such a simple diet-concept is not patentable, marketable, or profitable.
    So companies and their hired scientists always have to find the next gimmick.
    Last edited by PauliticsPolitics; 11-06-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    That's how I understand it, omega 6 is highly inflammatory and causes heart disease. Omega 3 just happens to be a healthy fat that is good to eat and metabolize for energy.
    I don't think that is correct either. Its only oxidized omega 6 (same with oxidized omega 3) the difference is 6 is not nearly as stable as 3, so it is much more likely to be bad/go bad. Which is why the primal crowd loves the saturated fats because they are even more stable than either of those.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chester Copperpot

Just eat good natural food and all the science and craziness associated with it takes care of itself. Opt for "God made" instead of "Man made" foods.. And if you dont like the word "God" then just think of it as "Made by Nature"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mitrosky View Post
    Just eat good natural food and all the science and craziness associated with it takes care of itself. Opt for "God made" instead of "Man made" foods.. And if you dont like the word "God" then just think of it as "Made by Nature"
    Yup

Specs is spot on. This may be why plant based n-6 is better... it's a more stable form? All oxidized/rancid fats are bad fats regardless of their length (Ashley Koff RD). At any rate, studies are funny because you really have to look at the preponderance of evidence rather than a single study. Here is a Google scholar search I ran on 'fish oil'. It appears, there is a great amount of benefit. I do agree with the others though... eat a good diet and you won't need a supplement. There are plenty of ALA and EPA/DHA sources out there! http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl...%2C15&as_sdtp=
    Last edited by AFPVet; 11-06-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    ^This. Thank you.

bump
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

When I eat sardines, there is a significant and noticeable improvement in recall and cognition. I was under the impression that this was an effect of Omega 3. I also have a bottle of Omega 3-6-9 supplements from plant oils, that does not have nearly as pronounced an effect on memory and cognition.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I don't think that is correct either. Its only oxidized omega 6 (same with oxidized omega 3) the difference is 6 is not nearly as stable as 3, so it is much more likely to be bad/go bad. Which is why the primal crowd loves the saturated fats because they are even more stable than either of those.
    That is correct.

Also good Omega 3 Fish oil should be kept in the refrigerator and if the bottle smells like fish throw it out, it is rancid. Bad Omega 3 will cause free-radicals.

AFPVet has it right too.

Virgin Coconut and Flaxseed Oil: Dynamic Duo for Heart Health
    http://www.omegascience.org/product_...conut_oil.aspx

Both the omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) in flaxseed oil and the medium-chain myristic acid in coconut oil independently increase cholesterol removal from tissues via transport onto desirable HDL (high-density lipoprotein) -- by 83% and 38% respectively. Amazingly, when ALA and myristic acid are both in the diet concurrently, their combined effects on mobilizing cholesterol complement each other to the extent that together they increase cholesterol transport to HDL by 152%.[12] This synergistic effect means that flaxseed oil and coconut oil work together to support the activity of desirable HDL-cholesterol and reduce cardiovascular risk.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    When I eat sardines, there is a significant and noticeable improvement in recall and cognition. I was under the impression that this was an effect of Omega 3. I also have a bottle of Omega 3-6-9 supplements from plant oils, that does not have nearly as pronounced an effect on memory and cognition.
    The problem with sardines is that they are usually packed in oils with high Omega 6:3 ratios.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah, and the omega-3 omega-6 ratio whatever is all bull$#@! too. They're both toxic. You should avoid any significant source of polyunsaturated fat because it's toxic to the thyroid.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    The problem with sardines is that they are usually packed in oils with high Omega 6:3 ratios.

I would bet they are packed in GMO soy and canola too.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Well, if this is the case, then these are hurting you. all high in O6

Safflower Oil
    Grapeseed Oil
    Wheat Germ Oil
    Corn Oil
    Walnut Oil
    Cottonseed Oil
    Soybean Oil
    Vegetable Oil
    Sunflower Oil
    pretty much

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    aaaand you'd lose that bet handily. 8-)

aaaand you'd lose that bet handily. 8-)
    One of the reasons I am not a gambling woman.

Mea culpa!

In my neck of the woods, the sardines and tuna packed in oil are typically packed in soy/canola/olive oil.

One of the reasons I am not a gambling woman.

Mea culpa!

In my neck of the woods, the sardines and tuna packed in oil are typically packed in soy/canola/olive oil.
    Mine are in kosher olive oil. They have not yet allowed the kosher blessing to be given to GMO stuff.

Exactly. And unless you know your olive oil manufacturer quite well, apparently you never know what you're getting.
    Last edited by anaconda; 11-06-2012 at 06:58 PM.

Mine are in kosher olive oil. They have not yet allowed the kosher blessing to be given to GMO stuff.

Olive oil has a 10:1 Omega 6:3 ratio. While better than many oils, it's still very bad.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Who knows the truth anymore. I recently found out one of my dogs has a heart arrhythmia and the vet told me to supplement her with fish oil/omega3 because tests have shown that increased omega3 will help the heart.

Omega 3 oils suppress the immune system, so it makes you feel good for a while because you don't have inflammation. In the long run, it's bad to have your immune system functioning sub-optimally. All polyunsaturated fats are toxic, thus, so is fish oil. They're good to slow down the metabolism of cows and pigs and make them fat before slaughtering them. The PUFAs will make you fat and lethargic as well in the long run.

The Great Fish Oil Experiment
    Last edited by jj-; 11-06-2012 at 07:32 PM.

When I eat sardines, there is a significant and noticeable improvement in recall and cognition.
    The brain is good at remembering trauma. That's your body telling you "don't that $#@! again!".
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by PauliticsPolitics View Post
    Yea.'
    It seems "food science" is just a tool to sell a bunch of useless supplements.
    People pretty much have a good instinct as to what food is healthy and what is trash.

You want to lose weight and decrease heart risk?
    Eat less and exercise more.
    If that's too hard, accept the risks of obesity. There is no magic.
    But, such a simple diet-concept is not patentable, marketable, or profitable.
    So companies and their hired scientists always have to find the next gimmick.
    And don't forget politics. It was a prominent vegetarian that pushed for hydrogenated vegetable oils to replace animal fat (lard).

Quote Originally Posted by ctiger2 View Post
    Who knows the truth anymore. I recently found out one of my dogs has a heart arrhythmia and the vet told me to supplement her with fish oil/omega3 because tests have shown that increased omega3 will help the heart.
    Don't feed your dog Omega 6's. Which means no grains or grain fed animals. Or dog food processed with oils. I don't know anything about dog food but I'll be they're mostly poison.

There are many scholarly articles showing the benefits of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids. All one has to do is bring up http://scholar.google.com/ and type in neutral searches such as hemp oil or omega 3s—not the benefits of hemp oil and omega 3s—this would skew the search. Once you have the search results, you can scroll for pros, and if there are any, cons. Animal sources of omega 3s like fish oil can be of some benefit, but remember, EFAs do not originate from animals sources... animals eat plants—and plants are what contain the good fats... animals are merely the converters. You can also check for fish oil oxidation by looking at the capsule in the light. If the liquid is cloudy, it is oxidized... pitch it. Fish EFAs are produced when they eat algae. Why use fish oil when you can get a more pure and bioavailable form from the source?

As far as ALA (plant omega 3) goes, my immune system has been supercharged... of course, the vitamin E complex found in the hemp oil doesn't hurt either Also, for those concerned about the balance of EFAs, hemp oil is a naturally balanced oil (~3:1).
    Last edited by AFPVet; 11-10-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast