Thread: Iran Hostage Crisis 33rd Anniversary

Iran Hostage Crisis 33rd Anniversary

If you watched Fox News yesterday, you would think that it was the 30th or 40th Anniversary. How often does the media even mention it? The 33rd Anniversary?

In reality, it was just some standard war-mongering from Fox. They were trying to drum up some outrage from the masses.

"The Ministry of Truth can turn on a dime, and the fury of the ignorant masses can be redirected at will."

Links to video:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/194675405...hostage-crisis

http://video.foxnews.com/v/194667873...33-years-later
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There we were, just minding our own business when "wham!" out of the blue, they took Americans hostage for no reason whatsoever!! Turns out they didn't really like the Shah. So why didn't they just elect someone they DID like instead of taking innocent Americans hostage.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    There we were, just minding our own business when "wham!" out of the blue, they took Americans hostage for no reason whatsoever!! Turns out they didn't really like the Shah. So why didn't they just elect someone they DID like instead of taking innocent Americans hostage.
    They did it to launch Nightline and make Ted Koppel famous.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Fox has an agenda which is war with Iran, whatever the cost. They have to sell their propaganda and they have to build up this giant boogeyman to scare the public into supporting their efforts. They have a very nationalistic approach and sadly that appeals to a lot of people.
    ...but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

WooHoo... Go Mohammad Reza Shah aka 'The Shah of Iran'

Another American Government Product, aka A Puppet Dictator for Oil/Spying/Oppression/Illusions.

BLOWBACK... Beeatches

Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 11-05-2012 at 03:39 PM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

What if we elected someone China didn't like?
    Ron Paul let the cat out of the bag.

***Random Troll Analysis***Try Not to Engage With Trolls***
    itshappening: Incredibly naive with a hint of Alex Jonestown.
    compromise: Hilarious name states what it wants.
    AuH20: Self-righteous & insightful neocon. Smarter than you. Armed with a thesaurus.

***Honorable Mentions***
    Tpoints, Traditional Conservative, FreedomFanatic, TywinLannister, FreeHampshire, Giuliani was there on 911,
    RandRevolution

In that video the reporter really stresses the "mock executions" that possibly took place and how horrific that must have been. While not even 15 minutes later I am sure they showed a Allen West video who was discharged for doing the exact same thing.
    "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness"

This is a joke, right?
    There is no spoon.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It could be because the of the movie Argo.

By the way, I thought it was a fantastic movie.

Reminding the public of the Iran Hostage situation should really be the opposite of war propaganda, considering it was resolved by signing a treaty pledging that America will not intervene in Iran's internal affairs anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    This is a joke, right?
    Yes, yes it is. .

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Reminding the public of the Iran Hostage situation should really be the opposite of war propaganda, considering it was resolved by signing a treaty pledging that America will not intervene in Iran's internal affairs anymore.
    It's all how it is being spun, and Fox is using it as war propaganda.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    It could be because the of the movie Argo.

By the way, I thought it was a fantastic movie.
    I haven't seen it, but my guess is that it's more war propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I haven't seen it, but my guess is that it's more war propaganda.
    It's not.

So is this a celebration of the hostage taking or of the overthrow of the dictator?
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Quote Originally Posted by nano1895 View Post
    Yes, yes it is. .
    Cool- I was worried for a second.
    There is no spoon.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So is this a celebration of the hostage taking or of the overthrow of the dictator?
    The OP is about war-mongering by the mainstream media. No celebration of the hostage taking, that was despicable.

(Fox is certainly using the hostage taking to stir up the war mongers).

Overthrowing one Dictator to replace with another? That's probably a net negative, as the new Dictator(s) haven't been terribly friendly to the US, or much better for the people of Iran. Might have to sample a bunch of Iranians for a valid answer though. It seems like it was one of the less bloody and destructive revolutions, if that counts for anything.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 11-05-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Cool- I was worried for a second.
    Sorry. I should have used the /sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The OP is about war-mongering by the mainstream media. No celebration of the hostage taking, that was despicable.

Overthrowing one Dictator to replace with another? That's probably a net negative, as the new Dictator(s) haven't been terribly friendly to the US, or much better for the people of Iran. Might have to sample a bunch of Iranians for a valid answer though. It seems like it was one of the less bloody and destructive revolutions, if that counts for anything.
    What I was trying to learn is if the celebration that Faux News is calling an Iranian celebration of the hostage-taking is ACTUALLY an Iranian celebration of the revolution that deposed the dictator WE imposed upon them. Just looking for war mongering spin.

Forum hiccup.
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 11-05-2012 at 04:59 PM.

What I was trying to learn is if the celebration that Faux News is calling an Iranian celebration of the hostage-taking is ACTUALLY an Iranian celebration of the revolution that deposed the dictator WE imposed upon them. Just looking for war mongering spin.
    Hmmm. A quick search looks like they celebrate the revolution in February.

The hostage crisis started in November:

Helping to pass the constitution, suppress moderates and otherwise radicalize the revolution was the holding of 52 American diplomats hostage for four hundred forty-four days. In late October 1979, the exiled and dying Shah was admitted into the United States for cancer treatment. In Iran there was an immediate outcry and both Khomeini and leftist groups demanding the Shah's return to Iran for trial and execution. On November 4, 1979 youthful Islamists, calling themselves Muslim Student Followers of the Imam's Line, invaded the embassy compound and seized its staff. Revolutionaries were reminded of how 26 years earlier the Shah had fled abroad while the Embassy-based American CIA and British intelligence organized a coup d'état to overthrow his nationalist opponent.

The holding of hostages was very popular and continued for months even after the death of the Shah. As Khomeini explained to his future President Banisadr,

This action has many benefits. ... This has united our people. Our opponents do not dare act against us. We can put the constitution to the people's vote without difficulty ...[168]

With great publicity the students released documents from the American embassy or "nest of spies," showing moderate Iranian leaders had met with U.S. officials (similar evidence of high-ranking Islamists having done so did not see the light of day).[169] Among the casualties of the hostage crisis was Prime Minister Bazargan and his government who resigned in November unable to enforce the government's order to release the hostages.[170]

The prestige of Khomeini and the hostage taking was further enhanced with the failure of a hostage rescue attempt, widely credited to divine intervention.[171]

It ended with the signing of the Algiers Accords in Algeria on January 19, 1981. The hostages were formally released into United States custody the following day, just minutes after the new American president Ronald Reagan was sworn in. The hostages had been held at the U.S. embassy in Tehran for 444 days.

It may have lasted as long as it did because of Reagan campaign involvement. This is when the term "October Surprise" was coined.
    Last edited by robert68; 11-05-2012 at 05:02 PM.