Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Red Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by Tod View Post
    Anyone watch Revolution? Setting: America after all things electrical bite the dust.

http://www.hulu.com/search?q=revoluton&type=episodes
    Revolution is on my list with Jericho and Last Resort. It sits neatly with Sum of All Fears.
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    Revolution is on my list with Jericho and Last Resort. It sits neatly with Sum of All Fears.
    Walking dead is another good post collapse drama. The only show I still watch on boob tube, I have learned everything I know about surviving a post collapse society from it. It is educational and entertaining

Rule number 1: Trust no one

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Unless you have no expectation of realism, you can safely erase Revolution from your list. I'm 3 episodes into Last Resort, and it's turning out to be pretty good. Jericho is excellent.

I see Jericho is not on hulu but Last Resort is. Will check it out. Thanks!
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

Anyone watch Revolution? Setting: America after all things electrical bite the dust.

I really tried to like Revolution, forced myself all the way into halfway through episode 6, but I hate it. I finally gave up and stopped about 25 min into ep 6. The show is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Loved Jericho more than I can say, Jericho was cancelled way, way too early. Watch horrible Revolution survive while excellent Jericho got cancelled. I'm losing all faith in humanity....

I see Jericho is not on hulu but Last Resort is. Will check it out. Thanks!
    It's on Netflix if you have that.

I like Last Resort. It just keeps getting better. The latest episode (iTunes) was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Walking dead is another good post collapse drama. The only show I still watch on boob tube, I have learned everything I know about surviving a post collapse society from it. It is educational and entertaining

Rule number 1: Trust no one
    Apart from revolution, the rest of the list are all false flag dramas. Post-apocalyptic is my preferred genre, and my favs list is much much longer.

It surprises me that the false flag drama is not much rarer than it is.

Swordfish, V For Vendetta, Watchmen, Star Wars 1-3... Its a major plot.

Heck, the Lone Gunmen....

Perhaps the most eerie example was the pilot episode of The Lone Gunmen, in which The Government nearly succeeds in crashing an airliner into the World Trade Center and thereby creating a new era of conflict. It aired in March 2001. Yikes.
    BYERS SNR: The Cold War's over, John. But with no clear enemy to stockpile against, the arms market's flat. But bring down a fully loaded 727 into the middle of New York City and you'll find a dozen tinpot dictators all over the world just clamouring to take responsibility, and begging to be smart-bombed.
    History is littered with examples, yet the false flag seems to be one of the most resistant memes, because it requires we abandon *all* our trust in the government and media.

"You mean this entire war started because The Empire dressed as the enemy? That's exactly what happened in the last major war! Our government is so stupid!"
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

I am very surprised nobody here watches The walking dead, after all its only the most exciting 52 mins on TV

Corny show but I haven't missed a single episode.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am very surprised nobody here watches The walking dead, after all its only the most exciting 52 mins on TV
    I watch it. I don't count it on this list because it's mostly mindless entertainment. I liked I Am Legend, the IAL remake, the 28 Days Later / 28 Weeks later, and the Resident Evil movies better than The Walking Dead, but to be fair Walking Dead is exceptional for a TV series.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I still think it's one of the best films of all time. lol.
    Occasionally a film is so bad that it achieves a cult status badge of honor, and becomes thoroughly entertaining on an entirely different level.

http://pastormattblog.com/2012/08/11...st-movie-ever/

Another egregious example:

Boring, the original was 50x better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Chaney View Post
    Boring, the original was 50x better.
    That's quite possible, but I do have to ask...exactly how would you know this unless you have attended some kind of advanced screening?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    They should have stuck with China as the invading force. North Korea invading the US requires way too much suspension of disbelief.
    But then folks might have thought more about this speech.

9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Back on the original Red Dawn, one of the writers, John Milius, is a descendant of one of the Lithuanian partisans (Forest Brothers) who fought against Soviet occupation from 1945-53 (active guerilla war), and until the early 60's (underground).

Many of the tactics used by the "Wolverines" were copied from the Lithuanian partisans.
    "You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness." -- Ronald Reagan, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by QuickZ06 View Post
    O look, another hollywood remake. How original.
    No $#@!, what the hell happened, did a plague target screenwriters or something?

Remakes of old movies, old TV shows and old comic books with a load of computer graphics which make the whole thing look like a video game is all they seem to have anymore.

Patrick Swayze and Charlie Sheen.

The real Wolverines.

That is all.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I love The Walking Dead. Haven't seen this season yet though.
    I am the spoon.

Yea, can't say I'm into it. Them changing to the invaders from Chinese to North Korean is just too off putting to me just so they can show the movie in Chinese theaters and not too mention how ridiculously implausible it would be for North Korea to invade any country let alone our own. China isn't plausible either to be fair but North Korea? May as well be Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by jkob View Post
    Yea, can't say I'm into it. Them changing to the invaders from Chinese to North Korean is just too off putting to me just so they can show the movie in Chinese theaters and not too mention how ridiculously implausible it would be for North Korea to invade any country let alone our own. China isn't plausible either to be fair but North Korea? May as well be Canada.
    To be fair, Cuba wasn't very plausible either...

I don't think the details matter as much as the themes. Although, I'm doubtful that Hollywood will allow the original themes to be displayed this time around.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Revolution is dumb. I gave up after two episodes. So the lights go out permanently due to who knows what and even brand new, undamaged electronics won't work because something is hampering the actual physics of electricity on a global scale.

So how are people's brains still working?
    All your voter base are belong to us!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    To be fair, Cuba wasn't very plausible either...
    Actually Russia used Cuban Mercs in several places. and coming up from South America was quite plausible.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    The 1984 Red Dawn seems to be a popular critical pick for worst movie of all time. Doesn't necessarily mean it is, but people sure like to bash on it.
    Well, there are many reasons why. The left in this country called the movie "a right-winger's wet dream". They also accused the Reagan Administration of timing the release of the movie to coincide with the start of his re-election campaign. It was only intended to be a end-of-summer action flick with several young actors (many of which went on to be pretty big stars). The fact the movie even got made and distributed is kind of shocking. It's a war movie that is anti-war and very libertarian; I didn't even get the anti-war message until I watched it again as an adult over 30.

The left hates the message of teenagers taking it upon themselves to defend their lives, their homes, and their families against the state. The left hates the fact that these kids obviously had some training in basic firearms use, and the ability to be self-reliant when needed.

They also hated it because the military set up recruitment tables inside theatres where the movie was playing.
    "You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will preserve for our children this, the last best hope of man on Earth, or we will sentence them to take the last step into a thousand years of darkness." -- Ronald Reagan, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-points-of-fright View Post
    Revolution is dumb. I gave up after two episodes. So the lights go out permanently due to who knows what and even brand new, undamaged electronics won't work because something is hampering the actual physics of electricity on a global scale.

So how are people's brains still working?
    I watched it for 15 minutes.When I saw them using swords,crossbows and muskets ( not to mention dressing up as civil war soldiers ) it became too much.I don't know if they even realize that there were machine guns in the pre-eletricity era .Not to mention bolt action rifles and revolvers.

But even if they lost the technology how did they lose every tactical advancement to the point they again start fighting in a fire-line formation.It makes no sense.
    Last edited by Demigod; 11-05-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NCGOPer_for_Paul View Post
    Well, there are many reasons why. The left in this country called the movie "a right-winger's wet dream". They also accused the Reagan Administration of timing the release of the movie to coincide with the start of his re-election campaign. It was only intended to be a end-of-summer action flick with several young actors (many of which went on to be pretty big stars). The fact the movie even got made and distributed is kind of shocking. It's a war movie that is anti-war and very libertarian; I didn't even get the anti-war message until I watched it again as an adult over 30.

The left hates the message of teenagers taking it upon themselves to defend their lives, their homes, and their families against the state. The left hates the fact that these kids obviously had some training in basic firearms use, and the ability to be self-reliant when needed.

They also hated it because the military set up recruitment tables inside theatres where the movie was playing.
    Exactly. The original movie was awesome. No wonder they pan it. They doubt the premise, they make fun of the details, but the themes are what they really hate.

Self-reliance. Insurgency. Rebellion against authority. Gun rights. And to top it off, the kids were kinda rednecky mountain boys that were taught how to hunt.

Your typical lefty HATES all of that! Therefore, the movie must be trash.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    They should have stuck with China as the invading force. North Korea invading the US requires way too much suspension of disbelief.
    I hope the black market can supply the original version. Will check out the remake to see if the black market efforts will be worth it, or stay with the 1984 version.
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

My family and I are watchers, we've watched every episode. Have last night's on DVR ready to watch today.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Patrick Swayze and Charlie Sheen.

The real Wolverines.

That is all.
    Lea Thompson = HOT
    Out of every one hundred men they send us, ten should not even be here. Eighty will do nothing but serve as targets for the enemy. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, upon them depends our success in battle. But one, ah the one, he is a real warrior, and he will bring the others back from battle alive.

Duty is the most sublime word in the English language. Do your duty in all things. You can not do more than your duty. You should never wish to do less than your duty.

I always thought the original premise was stupid. Not only were a few teenagers not going to be able to effectively run over Soviet and Cuban forces as portrayed in the film, but the invasion and push into the heartland was laughable.

Doesn't say much for you Texans either. lol...

RED DAWN Invasion map

Last edited by Todd; 11-05-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast