Thread: I Think We Have Another Good One on the Way!

I Think We Have Another Good One on the Way!

Just got out of a two hour meeting with Jim Bridenstine, the Republican who (thankfully!) primaried Jim Sullivan right out of the House for us (OK-1). Mr. Bridenstine has been an Oklahoma-style libertarian who has long held many libertarian beliefs without doing the Ron Paul thing and studying up on it all. He decided to host a meeting with his future constituents to listen to their concerns and take suggestions, which is something his predecessor never did. And he really listened, did no speechmaking, and even asked intelligent questions.

I'm impressed.

The meeting was mostly Ron Paul types, as who else is motivated to go to such a meeting and interested enough to sit through it? And he got an earful. My impression is that he was pleased to have a primer on libertarian thought. What little he did say revealed him to be a thoughtful man fully capable of getting his head outside the box. And his questions revealed him to be just what he says he is--as inherently libertarian as any Oklahoman, a man who primaried Sullivan because he saw that we weren't getting true representation from him, and now somewhat daunted by the role he's about to play (no Democrat is running against him, and the independent is highly unlikely to beat him) and willing to learn.

I don't know if he's going to be a Justin Amash overnight. But I'm pleased and proud to announce that I think Tulsa is about to install someone in the House who will be right there with Amash and our others often, and when it really counts. He's one who will actually be worth watching.

So, good news from the Sooner State! I'm pretty damned sure he's going to be one of the good guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Great!! And thanks for the report. That sounds encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by KCIndy View Post
    Great!! And thanks for the report. That sounds encouraging.
    I sure came away encouraged! Hope he doesn't let us down.

I told him the best way to reassure his reelection, in terms of money, grassroots support, and votes, was to introduce a bill repealing OSHA. He heard me. I wouldn't be surprised if he gives it a go...
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

I'm skeptical but i hope this guy is the real deal.
    Please consider donating to the Mises Caucus today. We are TAKING OVER the LP.

We have big plans including creating a program to bring libertarians like Maj Toure and Tom Woods to college campuses.

We have several LP Mises Caucus Members who won elected office in 2020 including multiple City Council seats.

Your recurring donation is what helps us to set these ideas into motion.

Donate today at www.TakeHumanAction.com

Quote Originally Posted by trey4sports View Post
    I'm skeptical but i hope this guy is the real deal.
    We're going to find out soon enough.

We're also going to find out if Markwayne Mullin of the plumbing family, who has made considerable libertarian noises during the campaign for OK2, lives up to his rhetoric. In fact, for the first time in history, all five Oklahoma Reps (as well as both senators, who were not up for reelection this year) will be Republicans.

Congratulations, guys. Make us proud.

Well he voted against Speaker Boehner, that's a good start.

great news, he sounds promising
    If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

good news. Thanks for the heads up!
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No, he hasn't been perfect. But he voted against this damned Ryan budget.

One more vote on the plus side.

It was interesting to hear him speak at the county convention today. Note I said 'speak', not 'make a speech'. It was strictly off the cuff. He's not a freshman representative any more. He took a principled stand on Obamnesty and the CRomnibus, and found himself the target of attack ads in this market. Fortunately, the attackers were silly enough to attack him as weak on defense, and unfortunately, that is certainly the one area where he still buys the Official Fairy Tale. Which worked out this time--Tulsans not only laughed it off, but demonstrated through SWLODs that we were in no way being fooled. I wish that part hadn't happened; I'd have liked to see the powers that be waste a little more money on this particularly ineffective folly.

Bridenstine has had his Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and wakes up at last-type moment. Familiarity has definitely bred contempt. And now he knows who his friends are--I've never said kinder words said about Thomas Massie. It will be interesting to see where Bridenstine goes from here. He's a fighter.

He showed a Navy Jack on the stage. Sorry, I didn't take my camera.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 03-07-2015 at 08:19 PM.

They're at it again. I just saw a commercial run on the KOTV six o'clock news urging all of us Tulsans to call Bridenstine and pester him to support the Export-Import Bank.

I wonder if those a**holes are going to try to primary him?

Did anyone ask him about his views on the NAP?

Really tough to be a real libertarian without it.
    Last edited by Ronin Truth; 05-20-2015 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Truth View Post
    Did anyone ask him about his views on the NAP?

Really tough to be a real libertarian without it.
    Whether he is that or not, he surely seems to be pissing someone off by doubting the sanctity of the Ex-Im Bank.

http://swtimes.com/news/politics/hou...ther-lawmakers

House Ethics Office Reviews Trip By Bridenstine, Other Lawmakers

By Chris Casteel
    The Oklahoman
    WASHINGTON — Rep. Jim Bridenstine, R-Okla., acknowledged Wednesday that his participation in a 2013 trip to Azerbaijan is part of an ethics investigation.

Bridenstine, of Tulsa, released a statement after The Washington Post revealed a congressional ethics review of a trip made by 10 members of Congress that might have been improperly funded.

The state-owned oil company of Azerbaijan paid for the trip, even though Bridenstine and the other members were told it was being funded by nonprofit organizations in the United States.

The newspaper obtained a copy of a report by the Office of Congressional Ethics that is confidential and has not been released.

The report says airfare for the lawmakers and their spouses cost $112,899, and those who attended received expensive gifts, including rugs.

The Post reported that Bridenstine was the only member who reported to the ethics committee after the trip that he received the rugs. Bridenstine also took the step of having them appraised. One was worth $2,500 and the other $3,500. Members are not allowed to accept gifts that are that valuable.

In his statement, Bridenstine said, “Having sought advice from the Committee on Ethics, I determined the best course of action was to return the rugs, and I did so. I also received a porcelain tea set which was valued at $87, well under the Foreign Gifts Disclosure Act rules, and an educational book and four local traditional music CDs.”

Bridenstine also had asked about the trip in advance and received full approval from the House Ethics Committee.
    If I'm reading that correctly, he may be the only reason the Ethics Committee knows about those rugs.
    Last edited by acptulsa; 05-20-2015 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    Whether he is that or not, he surely seems to be pissing someone off by doubting the sanctity of the Ex-Im Bank.

http://swtimes.com/news/politics/hou...ther-lawmakers

If I'm reading that correctly, he may be the only reason the Ethics Committee knows about those rugs.
    Yeah, that would pretty much guarantee pissing off the bought and paid for CONgresscritter Rothschild groupies and cheerleaders.

This is Bridenstine's last election. He announced that he will leave in two (and a half) years to pursue a career in the National Guard (an interesting choice for an ex-Navy man).

Didn't take him long to get his fill of that swamp in Washington.

Last edited by specsaregood; 05-17-2016 at 05:01 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.