Thread: What Reason Magazine says about Jeff Flake

Post What Reason Magazine says about Jeff Flake

U.S. Senate, Arizona

With endorsements from FreedomWorks, the National Rifle Association, and Citizens Against Government Waste, Rep. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) is considerably more Barry Goldwater than his fellow Arizonan Sen. John McCain (who has also endorsed him). Flake, a five-term congressman, has a 100 percent lifetime rating from Club for Growth and a rating of “Libertarian” (the highest possible ranking), from the Republican Liberty Caucus. Flake spent most of the 1990s heading up the Goldwater Institute, an Arizona free market think tank, before successfully running for Congress in 2000.

Flake is a social conservative on abortion and gay marriage, but he voted to repeal Don’t Ask Don’t Tell and has worked to liberalize immigration laws. He is definitely not a nativist when it comes to national immigration policy. “I have no sympathy for those who are running drugs or doing human smuggling or criminal activity but that’s a very small part of those who are simply coming here to make their lives better,” he says. “I think we ought to make sure we have a legal framework for them to come and work and then return home.”

Flake is strong on taxes and spending, with a 91 percent rating from the National Taxpayers Union. Flake has voted with libertarians on some civil liberties issues, though he is uncomfortable with the libertarian label and does not consider himself one. He has been critical of the PATRIOT Act, particularly the warrantless surveillance aspects, and has offered a variety of amendments to weaken it by requiring the head of the FBI to personally approve requests for library or bookstore records, allowing for recipients of national security letters to consult an attorney and challenge them in court, and putting a stop to judges preventing people from knowing about impending government searches of their homes. Flake has also pushed to end the trade embargo with and ban on travel to Cuba.

The strikes against Flake are serious: his initial votes for the PATRIOT Act, the Iraq War, and the Troubled Assets Relief Program. Still, Flake has the potential to pull the Republican caucus in the U.S. Senate in a more libertarian direction. But only after he faces the toughest challenge of his political career, former U.S. Surgeon General Richard Carmona.
    Arizona may be a red state but it’s also a magnet for people looking to escape heavily regulated and taxed blue states such as California. Carmona, a retired vice admiral in the United States Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, excites Democrats because of his Hispanic background and his bipartisan appeal as an appointee of George W. Bush. Unlike Flake, Carmona did not face any primary challengers, allowing him to steadily raise money while focusing on the general election. Every poll has shown Flake with a lead, but an ugly Republican primary against Will Cardon, a wealthy businessman, has had an impact on his favorability and has some local Republicans worried.

http://reason.com/archives/2012/10/2...ish-candidates
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Jeff Flake is high on my list of senate candidates I support. He has his problems, but he is a strong fiscal conservative (one of the first). I hope he wins on Tuesday. Sent him a donation.

GO FLAKE 2012!

Jeff Flake Joins Two Dozen Former Congressman in ‘Republicans for Biden’ Effort

Former Republican Senator Jeff Flake is joining more than two dozen fellow former GOP members of Congress in backing a “Republicans for Biden” effort launched Monday by the Biden campaign.

Flake is joined by other Republican critics of Trump, including former senators Gordon Humphrey of New Hampshire, who became an independent, and John Warner of Virginia, according to the list obtained by Fox News.

The former Arizona senator became a vocal GOP critic of President Trump and his administration before leaving Congress last year. Flake also backed the impeachment effort against Trump and has said he will not vote for Trump in 2020. His support for “Republicans for Biden” is his first formal endorsement of Biden for president.
    More: https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...-biden-effort/
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.