Thread: THIS is "emergency response"-USCG airlifts crew of HMS Bounty off Hatteras in 18 ft. seas

Exclamation THIS is "emergency response"-USCG airlifts crew of HMS Bounty off Hatteras in 18 ft. seas

Too bad they lost the vessel.

At any rate, in spite of my hostility toward "authority", if we are going to put in place a multi billion dollar emergency response network, then this is what it should be doing.

Responding to emergencies.

The skipper took a gamble trying to save the ship and it didn't pan out.

Good work you guys. I'm reckoning that was air station Wilmington or Sector Hatteras that responded.

Coast Guard begins rescue of crew of abandoned ship

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...guard/1665339/

8:13AM EDT October 29. 2012

U.S. Coast Guard helicopters have rescued 14 of the 17 people who abandoned their three-masted ship when it began taking on water in the path of Hurricane Sandy, WITN-TV reported.

The 17 had donned life jackets and survival suits and abandoned the HMS Bounty after sending out a distress signal.

The HMS Bounty's Facebook page said 14 of the 17 had been rescued by 8 a.m. ET.

The Coast Guard sent a C-130 and two rescue helicopters, HH60s, to rescue the crew, WITN-TV reported. The Washington, N.C., TV station said one helicopter began bringing back the first batch of survivors around 7 a.m. ET

The 180-foot ship was without propulsion and had taken on water, the Coast Guard said, according to the Associated Press.

The ship was trapped in 40 mph winds and 18-foot seas about 90 miles southeast of Hatteras, N.C., and 160 miles west of the eye of the hurricane, according to a Coast Guard statement..

The Coast Guard first received a call Sunday evening from the ship's owner who said she had lost communication with the crew.

The Coast Guard's 5th District command center in Portsmouth, Va., later picked up a signal from the ship's emergency radio beacon that confirmed it was in distress and gave its position.

The CBC quoted Claudia McCann, wife of the ship's captain, Robin Walbridge, as saying he was trying to get around Hurricane Sandy en route to Florida.

"He was just trying to avoid it, skirt it. Skirt through it, skirt around it," McCann told the CBC. "I'm sure he's devastated. Absolutely devastated. But the crew comes first and you have to save the crew."

The ship, which is used as a sea school, is a replica of one made famous in the film Mutiny on the Bounty and was featured in that movie, the AP reported.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hope the other 3 crewmembers are safe..

Be nice if the ship can be rescued too?

What a beautiful vessel.
    "Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
    —Charles Mackay

"god i fucking wanna rip his balls off and offer them to the gods"
    -Anonymous

Update: http://fox4kc.com/2012/10/29/crew-ab...s-around-them/

UPDATE: HMS Bounty Ship Sinks, 14 Rescued, Two Possibly Missing

CAPE HATTERAS, North Carolina — The HMS Bounty, a 180-foot, three-mast tall ship, has sunk off the coast of North Carolina, according to WITN.com. According to the BBC, all 16 crew members were rescued, however, other reports state that only 14 have been hoisted to safety. It was previously reported that this was a 17-man ship, however the Coast Guard confirms that only 16 men were on board.

Coast Guard Petty Officer 1st Class Brandyn Hill said 14 people were rescued by two Coast Guard helicopters about 6:30 a.m. Monday. Those rescued were taken to Air Station Elizabeth City on the North Carolina coast.
    Crews abandoned ship amid 18-foot waves and 40 mile per hour winds on Monday.
    The ship was used for classic adventure films and was 90 miles off Cape Hatteras, N.C., when it sank.

Crews boarded two lifeboats and hoped for rescue. The Coast Guard said it has “diminished search and rescue capabilities” as the Category 1 hurricane batters the U.S. East Coast. More sea rescues prompted by Sandy were reported in Delaware Bay. Wearing special cold-weather survival suits, crew members were awaiting rescue Monday in lifeboats designed to hold 25 people.

The boats also have canopies to help shelter them somewhat from Sandy’s pelting rain and winds. The Coast Guard received an emergency call from the ship’s owner Sunday after the 80-foot, three-masted vessel lost power and started taking on water, the Coast Guard said. Rescuers picked up an emergency locator beacon from the vessel and an HC-130 aircraft was dispatched to the area, where the plane made contact with the crew.

The Bounty was used in the making of 1962′s “Mutiny on the Bounty,” starring Marlon Brando, as well as “Treasure Island,” and “Pirates of the Caribbean, Dead Man’s Chest,” reports CNN affiliate WTKR-TV .

This is the Coast Guard. They have $6 billion to spend on operations. Annually.

Guy was, quite simply, an ass. Anyone who lives in Hatteras and knows Hatteras knows the shoals are dangerous enough to go out on a clear day - it's called graveyard of the atlantic for a reason. You don't out to "skirt" a 500-mile-wide hurricane and expect a different outcome.

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

Heard conflicting report on Geraldo radio it was still afloat. May have been from an earlier update.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvikalpa View Post
    This is the Coast Guard. They have $6 billion to spend on operations. Annually.

Guy was, quite simply, an ass. Anyone who lives in Hatteras and knows Hatteras knows the shoals are dangerous enough to go out on a clear day - it's called graveyard of the atlantic for a reason. You don't out to "skirt" a 500-mile-wide hurricane and expect a different outcome.
    Says you, with, how many years at sea?

You do know that most all government and private berths and wharves require that you get out of the harbor and head to sea, prior to a storm, right?

That said, would I have tried that plan?

No, probably not.

Were they surprised a storm was coming? Why the hell were they still sailing this far north? This vessol had time to be taken to safe water.
    Last edited by puppetmaster; 10-29-2012 at 09:43 AM.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    One of the movies she was in, Treasure Island - 1990 starring Charlton Heston as Long John Silver and a young Christian Bale as Jim Hawkins.

The very best film adaption of this classic novel.

While I highly recommend the whole movie, watch them getting underway at 8:00 for a gorgeous look at her.

Bonus, the soundtrack was done by The Chieftains, and this score at this point, "Setting Sail", is just awesome.

Last edited by Anti Federalist; 10-29-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Says you, with, how many years at sea?

You do know that most all government and private berths and wharves require that you get out of the harbor and head to sea, prior to a storm, right?

That said, would I have tried that plan?

No, probably not.
    If he did it during the time most left (and did, from Hatteras may I add), he wouldn't have been in that predicament would he? And says me, with a knowledge of the barrier islands, having a house there and knowing the history there.

If you're insinuating you have to have direct experience to call out someone's stupidity - then I suggest you become a cop based on most of your threads.

A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen

If you're insinuating you have to have direct experience to call out someone's stupidity - then I suggest you become a cop based on most of your threads.
    I call cops a lot of things, but I don't call them stupid.

If he did it during the time most left (and did, from Hatteras may I add), he wouldn't have been in that predicament would he? And says me, with a knowledge of the barrier islands, having a house there and knowing the history there.
    While I'm not positive where they left from, I can assure you they did not depart from Hatteras.

I'm guessing they left from Newburyport, based on this last known track and where they were last reporting the vessel.

http://www.tallshipbounty.org/the-ship/location.php

And had they been able to maintain power, they might have made it just fine.

The storm is at 37.5 N right now.

It would have been around 36:00 when the vessel first started having trouble last night.

The vessel sunk around 34:00 N.

That means that the vessel was in the "navigable" or "safe" semicircle and would have been experiencing decreasing winds from the N to NW to W.

Meaning that they also would have been in the lee of the beach as they got closer with decreasing seas.

Upon careful consideration, given a bad situation out on the open sea, the master did everything he could, and did everything right, according to the rules of good and prudent seamanship.

Losing the mechanical propulsion system and obviously not being able to make sail with an 18 man crew, doomed this ship, not anybody being an "ass".

Again, that said, had it been me, coming from Newburyport and given the weather conditions, I'd have ducked into Long Island Sound somewhere and either anchored or hove to for the duration.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 10-29-2012 at 10:08 AM.

Cape Hatteras (island), not Hatteras (town), NC. Wasn't insinuating the vessel left from Hatteras, just making it known that some families who own boats (mostly charter) left safely from Cape Hatteras (including those from Hatteras, NC - whether from Hatteras marina or not). Pretty sure they were dredging Teach's Lair marina in Hatteras, although that could have finished a week or so ago.

निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen

Cape Hatteras (island), not Hatteras (town), NC. Wasn't insinuating the vessel left from Hatteras, just making it known that some families who own boats (mostly charter) left safely from Cape Hatteras (including those from Hatteras, NC - whether from Hatteras marina or not). Pretty sure they were dredging Teach's Lair marina in Hatteras, although that could have finished a week or so ago.
    That's a never ending project there.

Last time I shot Oregon Inlet, it was all shoaled up and being dredged.

As a kid I was fortunate enough to board and tour that ship on a family trip to Florida. Incredibly sad. I hope they can locate the missing.

Saving lives/property is legit, chasing bales of mj/other and the folks running them is a crock.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Down with the ship.

1 dead, captain missing after 14 saved as Bounty sinks

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...guard/1665339/

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The HMS Bounty visited San Diego in 2008 as part of the Festival of Sail. I was able to go aboard that (and many other tall ships) and got some photos of it.

They also engaged in mock gun battles. Smoke is from the cannons fired.

Maor emergency response coast guard.

Instead of DHS.

---

edit, ok, weak moment. I don't know we need more, but this was a good day's work.
    Last edited by sailingaway; 10-30-2012 at 12:21 PM.
    "Integrity means having to say things that people don't want to hear & especially to say things that the regime doesn't want to hear.” -Ron Paul

"Bathtub falls and police officers kill more Americans than terrorism, yet we've been asked to sacrifice our most sacred rights for fear of falling victim to it." -Edward Snowden