Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: IMPORTANT: OFFICIAL HURRICANE THREAD

Meet Sandy: Single Furious Hurricane Seeking GDP-Boosting Landfall
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2012-1...sting-landfall

"What's different about Hurricane Sandy and why should we be afraid?" is the anxious question that Bloombergs' Tom Keene poses in the clip below. The answer - it's the size! The wind-field is considerably larger than normal with tropical storm strength winds (as the chart below indicates) extending over a very large area. As we warned yesterday, the storm surge in low-lying areas is the most threatening and the clarity of the problem is highlighted by the graphic below as Sandy approaches the Atlantic coast Monday or Tuesday. With the Atlantic unusually warm (meaning more fuel for the hurricane) and the new moon, the title of the Bloomberg clip says it all: "This is how scared you should be of Hurricane Sandy".
    [vid at the link]
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide (CWTG):

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/satl_tmap.html
    :
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    They are calling this storm-- "Frankenstorm." "The weather service gave the hybrid storm the "ghoulish nickname" Frankenstorm as "an allusion to Mary Shelley's Gothic creature of synthesized elements." Could it be they are calling it a 'Frankenstorm' because they are engineering it with all the tool they have to modify the weather?

Weather Modification a Long-Established, Though Secretive, Reality
    http://pesn.com/2005/09/06/9600160_W..._Modification/
    It's funny you should mention that. I try not to always be suspicious of things and deem everything a potential conspiracy but with the election coming up and having a severe hurricane supposedly also heading toward 2 or 3 swing states.... it does make you wonder when you know they have the capabilities. I was reading something yesterday how in the 60's they had the ability to actually weaken a hurricane so that it could lessen the damages below. But then the military got its hands on it and decided to use it for its "own" purposes.

Former Naval Physicist: Government Can Control Hurricanes
    Former Vet "Made it Rain" During Vietnam War
    Steve Watson & Paul Joseph Watson | 14 Oct 2005

Alex Jones was joined on air yesterday by weather modification expert Ben Livingston.
    Livingston discussed in detail proven evidence of hurricane control and his research and experiences with cloud seeding and weather weapons used in the Vietnam war.

Many scoff at the possibility of weather control and simply refuse to believe it exists. Attempting to even engage such people in conversation on the subject is fruitless because their mind is set. Yet the reality is that weather modification has been in operation and continual development since the 1960s. Livingston, now 77, has a master's degree in cloud physics from the Naval Weapons Center and Navy Post Graduate School in California, a degree he later used in the battlefields.

According to a recent report "He seeded clouds and dramatically increased rainfall in his theater of war, creating impassably muddy roads, slowin down the Vietnamese and Korean troops, and saving lives and entire towns from occupation."Livingston was even invited to the White House where he briefed President Lyndon B. Johnson on the effectiveness of weather control activities. Livingston asserts that hurricane control was a national priority of the government in the 60s and they had the ability to do it at that time. That was 40 years ago.

He now works with scientists and pilots at Weather Modification Inc., in Fargo, N.D. His research of hurricane control has been confirmed by the Stanford Research Institute.He has personally flown on 265 missions into the eyes of hurricanes and has gone on record as "most disgusted" with Hurricane Katrina because he knows that the storm itself could have been minimized.

Livingston revealed that to reduce or redirect a category 4 hurricane would not be that difficult:

"A hurricane is made up of energy sails and each of those sails adds to the ferocity of it. It was proven in 1974 by an international project that these energy sails exist and that they are the reason that hurricanes can develop and grow move and cause damages. So there's no reason to attack the hurricane in total but just to fly in to the right front quadrant primarily relative to the direction the storm is moving in and seed those energy sails that are converging and making the rain and wind velocity increase in the front part of a hurricane." Livingston asserted.

He went on to explain exactly how to minimize and control the hurricane:

" We would be trying to destroy or at least grossly reduce the velocity in these individual energy sails by seeding the clouds with silver iodide in the top part of the cloud... and those tops would then have so many small droplets in them that the prevailing wind just blows them away and so an energy sail would be neutralized until it can regroup which may be several hours later."

The seeding process may sound complicated but it is not at all. There would be no need for more than two small aircraft at a time to safely fly upwards into the hurricane.

"We're carrying more cloud seeding material on one airplane now, over 800% more on each plane than we had during Project Storm Fury" (The project set up by the US Government to discover how to control hurricanes in the 60s). Livingston added.

Alex put the question to Livingston, if it is so simple to do and the government knows how to do it and has been doing it since the 60s then why did they not attempt to minimize hurricane Katrina?

"This is a long story with a deep history. Back in the mid 50s, 1954 or so, the government allotted the first amount of money for weather modification and weather control practices to the US weather Bureau to the tune of about 30 million dollars." Livingston said.

"Their charge was to employ the most brilliant scientists around the world, and meteorologists and physicists, to work out a concept for reducing damages from hurricanes. What brought that on was that we had three tremendous hurricanes in 1953 and '54 that affected the twelve northeastern states... Basically The National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) was formed to take that responsibility." He went on to say.

Mr Livingston went on to describe how Project "Storm Fury" of which he was a national director was then set up in the mid 60s. Much of the research was carried out on hurricanes in the Atlantic at that time.

Project Storm Fury was shut down on the logic that the data was not good enough to use in statistical studies. Many believe that the research then became part of a black operation on weather modification.

Upon recently writing to verify what the national policy is on hurricane research, Livingston received the following response:

"The approach of NOAA with regard to minimizing the impact of hurricanes on US citizens is to improve our forecast on the tracking and intensity of storms and to better warn those in harm's way. It is no longer the policy of NOAA to support or conduct weather modification research."

So there is effectively no official government budget for weather modification of any kind. This would not however prevent the hiring of private companies such as Weather Modification, Inc. to carry out the relatively simple work for around $25 million for the hurricane season. This is a small amount when considering the billions spent on rebuilding and clearing up after hurricanes.

"The situation is as I see it that the Federal Government and NOAA have a tremendous job to do and they're doing a tremendous job. But their interest is in statistical data...where as people who are concerned about hurricane damages are interested more in results or empirical data." Livingston added.

Dr Livingston went on to read a statement from the Stanford research Institute who were brought into Project Storm Fury in the late sixties as a third party, which stated conclusively that knowledge of how to stop hurricanes had been uncovered and that they would be directly liable should a hurricane hit and cause extensive damage and loss of life.

Livingston revealed that on the 18th August 1969, five seedings at two hour intervals on Hurricane Debbie, researchers deduced that the wind speed had decreased from 115mph to 80 mph. That is a 30% reduction and a 45% reduction in damages. On August 20th a second seeding decreased the wind speed again to just under 100 mph, a reduction of around 15%. Some scientists involved wanted more research and to uncover clearer patterns so they brought in Stanford as a third party, who determined that more seeding should be done for damage reduction.

Of course, during the Vietnam war the goal for Livingston and his colleagues was to actually strengthen adverse weather, to inflate and exacerbate the monsoon season in order that the Vietnamese get bogged down. So not only is prevention possible, but also creation of harsh weather conditions.

Dr Livingston was assigned in 1966 from the Naval weapons research Laboratory to a marine fighter squadron in Vietnam. Instead of guns, the aircraft under Livingston's control were fitted with cloud seeding equipment.

"My mission was to find clouds and seed them for maximum precipitation value" he commented.

Cloud seeding is the process of spreading either dry ice (or more commonly, silver iodide aerosols) into the upper part of clouds to try to stimulate the precipitation process and form rain. Since most rainfall starts through the growth of ice crystals from super-cooled cloud droplets (droplets colder than the freezing point, 32 deg. F) in the upper parts of clouds, the silver iodide particles are meant to encourage the growth of new ice particles.

Alex went on to ask Dr Livingston whether it was dangerous flying into hurricanes, and whether that was a factor that could have prevented operations going ahead.

"A good part of the time you're out in the most beautiful VFR weather you've ever seen. If it's night you can see the stars, the moon, if it's daytime the sun or whatever. So you can not only see what you're going to seed, you can analyze it on your radar... generally speaking its not very hazardous flying." Livingston answered.

Dr Livingston puts beyond doubt the reality of weather modification. His take on Hurricane Katrina is that it was not prevented for political reasons.

h ttp://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/october2005/141005weather_modification.htm

AT 6:00 min. in, Dr. Livingston talks about how hurricane reduction was a political football. Some wanted it, others didn't.:
    Paranoia is having all of the facts.
    www.classifiedwoman.com

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post

NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide (CWTG):

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/satl_tmap.html
    :
    Oh crap. Large wind shield. High tides (NY) and warm water as well???
    www.classifiedwoman.com

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Has anyone gone to the stores yet to buy your supplies??

I took off a little earlier today to start my shopping. Before I left I printed out several lists of items to get from the Red Cross website. Having to shop like this is really daunting. Plus I really can't afford to do this all at once. Serves me right I guess for procrastinating about building up an emergency stash over the months. It's really hard when you're on a tight budget.

Today I bought:

6 cans of Campbells natural soups
    4 cans of Valley Fresh100% natural chicken breasts
    2 boxes chocolate chip Z-bars
    1 box crackers
    2- mini chips ahoy cups
    1- Almond butter
    1- Caponata spread
    2- Pkgs Apple sauce cups
    1-box cereal
    2 packages 24 count bottled water.
    2- loaves of bread

I know this is not nearly enough. The prices were getting to me. I'm looking at everything on my table right now and I can't believe this little amount cost me $95!

I did a quick stop into a K-Mart for batteries. I figured I better get them while I can still find them. It was relatively quiet in NY today. I saw some people stocking up but not many. The stores were already displaying flashlights, water and batteries. I expect the weekend to get much more chaotic.

I've still got so much on my list. As far as cooking, anyone have some portable camping stoves you can recommend that are safe? Someone told me I should just buy some sterno kits as they would be cheaper. Any thoughts?

I've also started freezing more ice. Lots to do!
    www.classifiedwoman.com

Quote Originally Posted by libertygrl View Post
    I've still got so much on my list. As far as cooking, anyone have some portable camping stoves you can recommend that are safe? Someone told me I should just buy some sterno kits as they would be cheaper. Any thoughts?
    I've owned one of these for a long time and like it a lot:

http://www.majorsurplus.com/The-Gras...ve-P15895.aspx
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

As far as cooking, anyone have some portable camping stoves you can recommend that are safe? Someone told me I should just buy some sterno kits as they would be cheaper. Any thoughts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobo_stove
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_stove

As far as flashlights, I keep solar trail marker lights on my southern windowsills. They come on every night; storm or no storm; $2 each.
    Last edited by presence; 10-26-2012 at 02:53 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    I've owned one of these for a long time and like it a lot:

http://www.majorsurplus.com/The-Gras...ve-P15895.aspx
    Wow, those stoves are so much cheaper than what I saw in k-mart today. Good website for supplies. Unfortunately, it's too late to order from them.
    www.classifiedwoman.com

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobo_stove
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_stove

As far as flashlights, I keep solar trail marker lights on my southern windowsills. They come on every night; storm or no storm; $2 each.
    That looks pretty cool! But I don't think I trust myself to put something together like that. I'm afraid I'll set the house on fire! LOL. The massive rains and flooding could actually come in handy then.
    www.classifiedwoman.com

If you're staying at home, a BBQ grill, charcoal and lighter fluid and you're good to go. Unless I'm not thinking of something important, it seems to me that after the storm passes, you can cook outside. And you're probably not going to cook much during the storm.

Wow, those stoves are so much cheaper than what I saw in k-mart today. Good website for supplies. Unfortunately, it's too late to order from them.
    You might find one at one of the camping warehouse type stores. I don't know what's around you.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

hard rain

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    um.. candles and matches or hurricane lamps
    you don't want to use your batteries full time for light

hand held can opener

along with ice, depending on your forcast temps (It's always hot down here in Florida after a hurricane) freeze some damp wash cloths in baggies also. Nothing like a nice cool wipe down when there's no AC.

Thermos (plural) We have always made several thermos' full of coffee before the storm - because sometimes ya need coffee to think enough to make coffee.

make sure fire arms and ammo are in sure to stay dry areas (important papers too - like insurance policies)

food in jars is good too.. resealable more than cans.
    Last edited by opal; 10-26-2012 at 04:06 PM.
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    You might find one at one of the camping warehouse type stores. I don't know what's around you.
    Thanks, I'll have to check that out. But I also just found this Sterno Emergency Kit. it. It's at Walmart:

Sterno Emergency Preparedness Kit

http://h ttp://www.walmart.com/ip/St...s-Kit/15392346
    www.classifiedwoman.com

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    Luckily it looks to be heading straight for Washington D.C.
    Lucky for who? A storm going to DC would pass right over my house. Three tracking models so far show the storm moving right on top of me.
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    If you're staying at home, a BBQ grill, charcoal and lighter fluid and you're good to go. Unless I'm not thinking of something important, it seems to me that after the storm passes, you can cook outside. And you're probably not going to cook much during the storm.
    Probably better after the storm. As long as I'm not underwater by then!
    www.classifiedwoman.com

Yes, candles for sure. Dollar store!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    I just heard a spokesperson from PSEG in NJ, recommend NOT to use candles. I guess they are concerned of the potential for fire and that would be another added burden on emergency crews. I actually have used a combination of both over the years.
    www.classifiedwoman.com

$#@!ing nanny state.. no candles? people have been using candles FOREVER. If you can't use a candle and not burn down your house.. it's not the candle that's the problem
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

$#@!ing nanny state.. no candles? people have been using candles FOREVER. If you can't use a candle and not burn down your house.. it's not the candle that's the problem
    +rep
    "Governor, if I had foreseen the use those people
    designed to make of their victory,
    there would have been no surrender at
    Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me.
    Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,
    I would have preferred to die at Appomattox
    with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." - Robert E. Lee to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale (D-Texas), 1870

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Last edited by S.Shorland; 10-27-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Oh relax. It was a recommendation. It wasn't mandatory. LOL.
    www.classifiedwoman.com

hand held can opener

along with ice, depending on your forcast temps (It's always hot down here in Florida after a hurricane) freeze some damp wash cloths in baggies also. Nothing like a nice cool wipe down when there's no AC.

Thermos (plural) We have always made several thermos' full of coffee before the storm - because sometimes ya need coffee to think enough to make coffee.

make sure fire arms and ammo are in sure to stay dry areas (important papers too - like insurance policies)

food in jars is good too.. resealable more than cans.
    Several thermos' with coffee - great idea!
    www.classifiedwoman.com

I never heard of the great Hurricane of 1938, have you guys? Some reports are comparing it with the potential for this one. Actress Katharine Hepburn's Conn. house was destroyed by it.

Not trying to scare people! You have to remember, this was before they could forecast these storms in advance. At least we can prepare:

www.classifiedwoman.com

I just heard a spokesperson from PSEG in NJ, recommend NOT to use candles. I guess they are concerned of the potential for fire and that would be another added burden on emergency crews. I actually have used a combination of both over the years.
    NM - Opal said it perfectly.

As far as cooking, anyone have some portable camping stoves you can recommend that are safe? Someone told me I should just buy some sterno kits as they would be cheaper. Any thoughts?
    I just got finished hiking the Appalachian Trail, so in terms of what hikers are using these are suggestions-
    Alcohol stoves are a lightweight and cheap option and are relatively flexible on what fuels they can use, but take some time to cook things and are a little more work.
    MSR Pocketrocket is a good option, more expensive, faster, reliable, but requires fuel canisters. More expensive than the first. This was probably most common on the trail and I had one.
    Jetboil is a similar version to the MSR Pocketrocket, faster at cooking but not quite as flexible.

That looks pretty cool! But I don't think I trust myself to put something together like that. I'm afraid I'll set the house on fire!
    How to Make a Brick Rocket Stove for $6.08
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qoyB...eature=related

If you use good firebrick it might cost $30. You can do this.
    Last edited by presence; 10-26-2012 at 06:22 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It looks like Sandy is heading straight for me They're projecting the worse storm surge/floods will be around the NYC/NJ metro area (with the hurricane coming ashore south of that).

What do you want me to do, to do for you to see you through?
    A box of rain will ease the pain, and love will see you through.
    Box of Rain, Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV
    A real feminist would have avoided men altogether and found a perfectly good female partner. Because, y'know, all sexual intercourse is actually rape.
    निर्विकल्पा
    aka Wicked Heathen
    I was a nasty woman before Trump made it cool.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast