Thread: Tom Tancredo debates Ken Buck on Marijuana Legalization

Tom Tancredo debates Ken Buck on Marijuana Legalization

Inactive

List of Liberty-minded candidates for Congress in 2014
    Party: Libertarian (since registration) / Religion: none (Ignostic)

“If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.”
    ― Dhammapada, v. 61

"Asking why there are no Libertarian countries is akin to asking why there are no Atheist Theocracies." - #AncapJackal

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Summary? Is Tancredo taking the pro marijuana side? Is this a recent debate?

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Summary? Is Tancredo taking the pro marijuana side? Is this a recent debate?
    You could of course just click the link. Or, you could read the forum on this topic, and you'd know Tancredo was one of the earliest supporters of this amendment, and Ken Buck shortly thereafter opposed this.

Oct 18th 2012
    Inactive

List of Liberty-minded candidates for Congress in 2014
    Party: Libertarian (since registration) / Religion: none (Ignostic)

“If while on your way you meet no one your equal or better, steadily continue on your way alone. There is no fellowship with fools.”
    ― Dhammapada, v. 61

"Asking why there are no Libertarian countries is akin to asking why there are no Atheist Theocracies." - #AncapJackal

Which forum on this topic? I didn't know there was a forum on on Tancredo or marijuana.
    "The Patriarch"

I watched that interesting YouTube video and couldn't help but notice their overall giddiness... as if a high concentration Nitrous Oxide (N2O) was in the air.

[Yes Brandon, the giggling (never tried it) Tancredo took the pro marijuana side. I liked his presentation but wished he had exposed the prison industry aspect and had remembered the website!]

I hope the CO voters pass it (Nov 2012) to legalize marijuana via their State Constitution. (That's in the state of CO, not carbon monoxide).

It's interesting that Tancredo was our "enemy" in 2007 and Ken Buck was our "friend" in 2010 and yet Tancredo is taking the position that most of us would agree with in 2012 and Buck is taking the opposition position.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    It's interesting that Tancredo was our "enemy" in 2007 and Ken Buck was our "friend" in 2010 and yet Tancredo is taking the position that most of us would agree with in 2012 and Buck is taking the opposition position.
    Yea. CFL messed up big time on that one. I haven't donated to them since that, and never will again.

Yea. CFL messed up big time on that one. I haven't donated to them since that, and never will again.
    I agree CFL messed up by supporting Ken Buck, but that does not mean that Campaign For Liberty is not a good organization working hard for liberty.
    Dear Brother Jonathan,

With the end of a busy year behind me, I wanted to make sure I sent you this note with an important announcement: Effective immediately, I am returning as the Honorary Chairman of Campaign for Liberty.

And I will do so at our most critical juncture in years, with important decisions that must be made at once.

Of course, I believe the liberty movement has a critical role to play in 2012, and there are several important places where you and I simply must be involved.

But as you'll see from the message below from Campaign for Liberty President John Tate, November 6 is far from the only thing you and I have on our plate!

In fact, Campaign for Liberty is facing some absolutely critical decisions in the next few days, and they're counting on your advice during this crucial time.

That's why I hope you'll please take a few minutes to read every word of John's message, fill out your C4L Membership Directive, and - if possible - agree to your most generous support.

Please don't take this lightly!

These decisions could have ramifications that last for years - not weeks or months - so please give this your most careful consideration.

And remember, time is very short, so it's critical you act IMMEDIATELY!

For Liberty,

Ron Paul

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    At least both see it as a state issue...that is where we can win battles.

Tancredo adds legitimacy to the pro-marijuana movement, especially considering his immigration bona fides.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaAvenger View Post
    At least both see it as a state issue...that is where we can win battles.

Tancredo adds legitimacy to the pro-marijuana movement, especially considering his immigration bona fides.
    legalizing marijuana across the board would eliminate most of our border problems with mexico. especially with the gangs/mafias and their paramilitarys shooting up our border agents just to get some plants across the border.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Ok I just watched this video. Wow.. Ken Buck is complete scum. He's just making $#@! up. I can't believe how he tried to fudge the numbers to prove that it would take a heavy user 3 months to smoke an ounce.

He just said marijuana is more addictive and dangerous than alcohol. Is this guy a complete $#@!ing moron or is he just really comfortable with outright lieing? It's common medical knowledge that alcohol withdrawal can be deadly if not medically supervised, while it's debatable if marijuana withdrawal even exists at all.

He's a DA in Weld County.
    Used to prosecuting people for easy convictions and money. (in the drug war)

His wife is running for HD 49 http://www.perryforcolorado.com/
    Last edited by ninepointfive; 10-22-2012 at 12:15 PM.

He's just making $#@! up. I can't believe how he tried to fudge the numbers to prove that it would take a heavy user 3 months to smoke an ounce.
    Ya I'm a light user of extremely high grade product and I go through more than that. A heavy user can go through any grade of product at a very fast rate, as they will tend to smoke blunts or large joints. I could easily see some going through an ounce in a week or two. Even more if it is low grade with seeds and stems that they have to filter out.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Ya I'm a light user of extremely high grade product and I go through more than that. A heavy user can go through any grade of product at a very fast rate, as they will tend to smoke blunts or large joints. I could easily see some going through an ounce in a week or two. Even more if it is low grade with seeds and stems that they have to filter out.
    According to Buck an ounce is equal to 60 joints. I guess he always rolled those little pathetic pinners. And heavy user smokes 20 of these miniscule joints per month.

According to Buck an ounce is equal to 60 joints. I guess he always rolled those little pathetic pinners. And heavy user smokes 20 of these miniscule joints per month.
    I can get about 30 blunts out of a zone.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think marijuana should be legal because I am a libertarian, but the argument for medical marijuana just pisses me off... There is no doctor on earth who could convince me that inhaling a smoke is good for my health. If there are chemical properties of marijuana that are beneficial medically, they can be harnesses and taken in pill form (or brownies lol). But the idea that smoking something has medical benefits is just stupid...
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    I think marijuana should be legal because I am a libertarian, but the argument for medical marijuana just pisses me off... There is no doctor on earth who could convince me that inhaling a smoke is good for my health. If there are chemical properties of marijuana that are beneficial medically, they can be harnesses and taken in pill form (or brownies lol). But the idea that smoking something has medical benefits is just stupid...
    you don't have to smoke it. vaporizors are what medicinal patients should be using.

Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    Tell that to asthmatics like myself who toke cannabis to help relieve asthma and allergy symptoms. Tell that to people who have to smoke in order to hold down their food and medications to begin with. If they took a cannabis pill it would be useless because they would throw it up before it took effect.

There is nothing stopping medicinal users from baking their cannabis into brownies, but the truth is that it is not as effective for some people's symptoms and the properties change when you eat it. It lasts for about 5 or 6 hours or more when you eat it, when you smoke it only lasts for a couple hours or so. It is easier to titrate the amount you need from smoking than when you eat it.

There is nothing inherently dangerous about smoking cannabis. It doesn't cause lung cancer, in fact it helps prevent lung cancer and it doesn't seem to cause any significant lung damage over time. The medicinal benefits for someone with Multiple Sclerosis far outweigh any potential negative impacts on their lungs. The same holds true for many, many serious medical conditions. That is if you believe or can prove there are ANY negative potential impact on the lungs from smoking moderate amounts of high grade cannabis through a water bong.

Or of course there is vaporizing, which you didn't mention. That is applying heat to the cannabis until a vapor containing the THC and cannabinoids is formed and then you inhale the vapor. This is a great alternative for those who can't handle the smoke. Personally I find the smoke, in small amounts using high grade cannabis, to be quite cleansing. Our lungs get billions and billions of pieces of debris every day that they have to deal with, a little cannabis smoke isn't going to do anything bad. Trust me, my lungs have sucked my whole life and they tell me when they are pissed off.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Many of the people here criticizing Buck are complete hypocrites. "In an interview with ABC, Paul said that while he did not personally support marijuana being legalized, or even used, for that matter, he did believe that punishments surrounding it were overly harsh." http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2165735.html

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Um, no. 3 months for an ounce is heavy use, if you have the good stuff. If you can go through an ounce of weed faster than that, you either have mediocre weed (at best) or you're outright wasting it.

As someone who has done a LOT of super-high-grade weed in his lifetime and known many others who have also, an ounce of that $#@! lasts a really really long time. And when I say "heavy use" I'm talking about getting stoned the moment you wake up, and smoking all day until you go to sleep.

If you go through your supply faster than that, you need a better quality supply.