Thread: Pre-paid Visas

Pre-paid Visas

I purchased a pre-paid Visa the other day and I couldn't believe how much information I had to give them when I called to activate it. I would have ended the process but it was non-refundable! Street address, SS number, phone number, etc for an $80 card purchased at a grocery store? Are there any you can buy that are not as intrusive or are they all this way?
    "Perfect safety is not the purpose of government." - Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by brushfire View Post
    "I was in the rain forest once, and it rained on me..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Ron Paul suggested a very good first step to the process of restoring sound money... It was beautiful. It left them all standing with their fiats out.
    Quote Originally Posted by acptulsa View Post
    'Excuse us, we'll be leaving now. Oh, and you don't mind if we just steal this Constitution before we go? You @#$%s aren't using it anyway...'

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chester Copperpot

I would like to know the answer to this as well.

You won't be able to get a card (from inside the US) that is reloadable and can hold more than $500. That is due to the money laundering requirements of the Patriot Act, which treats them as financial instruments, and requires issuers to collect information, including SSN.

For those wanting anonymity, but are forced to use debit/credit cards, like for online purchases, about the best you can do at this point is a Simon Gift Card [LINK]. They are debit cards that can be used anywhere, like any other debit/credit card. You can't reload them, but they can be purchased for amounts up to $500. Plus, they accept cash, and do NOT require a name, address, or SSN. Also, through their web interface, they allow you to connect the card to ANY name and address you want for any card, for those Merchants that do AVS checks.

Here's a good blog on the subject.

I don't like the idea that you have to pay money (the fees on such cards) to be able to spend your money.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbot24 View Post
    I purchased a pre-paid Visa the other day and I couldn't believe how much information I had to give them when I called to activate it. I would have ended the process but it was non-refundable! Street address, SS number, phone number, etc for an $80 card purchased at a grocery store? Are there any you can buy that are not as intrusive or are they all this way?
    prepaid Visa's are activated as soon as you purchase them. The registration is for other features of the card, possibly online shopping.
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher View Post
    prepaid Visa's are activated as soon as you purchase them. The registration is for other features of the card, possibly online shopping.
    And often fraud prevention, or other things you would expect from a credit card.

I was wondering if it had somehow changed.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Rand Benedict Paul.
    Not only did he sell us out, this douche bag did it to his own father! I'm more upset him selling his father out. I don't care who i think is going to win i would never sell my father out. If his willing to sell his father out what else is for sale?