Thread: New housing starts surge 15% in September -- best level since '08

New housing starts surge 15% in September -- best level since '08

Wonder how long this will last?

WASHINGTON -- New residential construction starts surged 15% in September to their highest annual rate in more than four years, as the housing sector continued to show signs of a burgeoning rebound.
    The number of new privately owned housing units that began construction was up for the third straight month, and rose in September to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 872,000, the Commerce Department said Wednesday.
    The figures surpassed economists' expectations of about a 770,000 annual rate.
    September had the best monthly performance since July 2008, when housing starts were on an annual pace of 923,000. Compared with last September, new housing starts are up 34.8%, the Commerce Department said.
    Last month's growth was "surprisingly strong," said David Crowe, chief economist at the National Assn. of Home Builders.
    "As consumer confidence rises and jobs return, more local markets and more consumers will join the buyer market and I expect housing construction to continue a modest but fairly steady rise throughout 2013 and into 2014," Crowe wrote in a blog post.
    more here:

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...,1734477.story
    "Sorry, fellows, the rebellion is off. We couldn't get a rebellion permit."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Depends upon when the shadow inventory starts moving. Banks have become even slower in processing foreclosures.

Oh, by the way, all the statistics for the past seven years about the shadow inventory were a little off. Whoops. Move along, nothing to to see here.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b....html?page=all

CoreLogic Inc. has determined that the shadow inventory figures it has been reporting quarterly for the past seven years are flawed -- and, in most cases, way off -- and is thus changing its methodology moving forward, according to a company statement this week.

In fact, when the California research firm revised all shadow inventory data for every month dating back to January 2005 to reflect the new method, it found the original numbers were low-balled by roughly 40 to 60 percent.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

You have to be crazy to buy a home right now, despite the low rates. You will be essentially buying a declining asset with uncertain ancillary costs (property taxes, energy price fluctuations, stagnant income levels, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    You have to be crazy to buy a home right now, despite the low rates. You will be essentially buying a declining asset with uncertain ancillary costs (property taxes, energy price fluctuations, stagnant income levels, etc.).
    Crazy eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Depends upon when the shadow inventory starts moving. Banks have become even slower in processing foreclosures.

Oh, by the way, all the statistics for the past seven years about the shadow inventory were a little off. Whoops. Move along, nothing to to see here.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b....html?page=all
    I think the government is pushing the banks to keep the foreclosed home listings off the market right now. Until after the election, probably. Not scientific, but in this area the HUD / Homepath homes are almost all sold now, based on the number of new listings that are appearing. (Or rather, NOT appearing.)

Our realtor made statements about the houses that were in the pipeline that jived with the original assertions - that there were about 2 years backlogged. But while most of the homes that were available when we were looking have now sold, they're not releasing new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    But while most of the homes that were available when we were looking have now sold, they're not releasing new ones.
    I am looking for a house and this is what I see happening also.
    I found a bunch I wanted to look at, but they all sold before I could get down to even look at them, within 2 weeks of me finding the listing..
    So I been looking at all the new listing.. I have not seen anymore cheap listings for awhile now.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I watched a local news segment the other day where a realtor being interviewed claimed the shadow inventory has shrunk back to the "usual" 6 months and it's time to buy again.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

I guess the Republican congress finally got out of the way and let Obama save the economy?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuH20 View Post
    I disagree. Renting does not let you escape anything you listed (property taxes are included in what you are charged for rent). If interest rates go up, then the costs of buying will be higher in the future. Say you wait two years. That will mean paying another two years of rent when that money could instead be paying on the mortgage instead. That also means it will not be paid off until two tears later. If your rent is, say $1000 a month that means you pay $24,000 more by waiting.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 10-23-2012 at 12:33 PM.