Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
No real/true "insurance" coverage would cover these types of diseases without regulation, it is a pre-existing condition from birth that will without a doubt carry millions of dollars before death, it is inherently unprofitable and unmarketable to keep kids like mine alive. Nobody would buy it. No insurance would cover it. Maybe every once in a while a corporation would sponsor a kid for a publicity stunt. In the extreme case, kids would simply bleed out staring at meds on the other side of the counter their parents can't afford. Its that way, right now, 2012, in many a 3rd world country. At the moment, the special interest bleeding heart bureaucrats are all kids like mine have. I really don't like it being that way; I'd prefer we all have the same access my kid has.

I guess I have come to see the denial of life saving (or morbidity reducing) care qualitatively (though perhaps not quantitatively) equivalent to directly causing someone harm, which creates a liberty issue, and right to life issue.

..which, I can agree with completely. There was no such thing as modern health care when the constitution was written. Some pretty fancy stuff there,especially when you get into individualized medicine, nanotech, gene therapy, and the like, lots of unforeseen ethical issues, lots of public and private funding put us where we are. We might need a new amendment to describe our rights to it and protections from it, especially in light of our right to life and the rule of necessity.

presence
What I understood, no matter what disease your kid has, the free market would still want to have an insurance policy towards him. Thinking about 1913 and the contracts that doctors made on yearly service by new insurance policies, people enjoyed health care plus it was about $20 - $40 (talking about current 2012). Doctors would be fighting to get as many contracts as possible, no matter the illness. Though we may have the cost/analysis argument, families would have been able to give insurance to their kids in case of any terrible event. I believe in the long run, insurance companies would profit from people that inherent any disease that may happen; and if not, we do have the hospitaleers.