Thread: Taser Gives Man Seizure? Nope. Seizure Gives Man Taser!

Taser Gives Man Seizure? Nope. Seizure Gives Man Taser!

a heart attack and permanent brain damage.

Two Texan police officers are being sued for using a Taser to shock a man who was having a seizure, causing the 50-year-old to suffer....
    http://rt.com/usa/news/man-seizure-police-sheeley-049/

Police responded to a request for medical assistance for Sheeley, who was suffering a seizure at his home in Austin. When officers Chard Norman and Kevin Sederquest arrived at the man’s house, they allegedly used violence to restrict him from movement, constrained his ability to breathe and repeatedly shocked him with a Taser gun.
    Last edited by presence; 10-14-2012 at 05:32 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Where's the rope
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Why were police dispatched for a medical emergency? This just ain't right. Typical 911 calls about seizures are handled by paramedics. Cops wouldn't even have the necessary equipment to save the guy if something unusual happened to him.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 10-14-2012 at 05:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Why were police dispatched for a medical emergency? This just ain't right. Typical 911 calls about seizures are handled by paramedics.
    Police usually have to respond to all 911 calls. (just in case there was no medical emergency they make sure paramedics are needed)

They probably believed the Taser can double as a defibrillator. Common misunderstanding.

Well? Where are people to pop up and say this guy was obviously on PCP or LSD?

Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Why were police dispatched for a medical emergency? This just ain't right. Typical 911 calls about seizures are handled by paramedics. Cops wouldn't even have the necessary equipment to save the guy if something unusual happened to him.
    Happens all the time.

People dial 911 for firemen or first aid and they get Officer Friendly to tase and arrest your ass instead.

DO NOT CALL 911.

If possible, get yourself to a hospital or call fire or EMTs directly, most small to midsize town will still have a direct line.

Calling 911 will always get you a cop, whether you want or need one or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo Shrimp View Post
    Police usually have to respond to all 911 calls. (just in case there was no medical emergency they make sure paramedics are needed)
    Since when? I've witnessed a number of medical emergencies (a guy once had a heart attack in church once and was taken out on a stretcher, for example) in which medics were called and no cops showed up. I haven't seen any in some years now, though.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Happens all the time.

People dial 911 for firemen or first aid and they get Officer Friendly to tase and arrest your ass instead.

DO NOT CALL 911.

If possible, get yourself to a hospital or call fire or EMTs directly, most small to midsize town will still have a direct line.

Wow.

I saw some of those old persons phones that had a button for cops, one for fire, and one for EMS. We should have separate emergency numbers for those services... it would also make things more efficient. You could have 911 for EMS, 811 for fire, and, well, let's just forget about the last one
    Indianensis Universitatis Alumnus

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    I saw some of those old persons phones that had a button for cops, one for fire, and one for EMS. We should have separate emergency numbers for those services... it would also make things more efficient. You could have 911 for EMS, 811 for fire, and, well, let's just forget about the last one
    I've seen those too. My grandmama (R.I.P.) had one of those medical alert systems. The main station had separate buttons for fire, medical, police, etc. 'Twould be nice to have different phone numbers too. The drawback would be having to hire a lot of new operators and such. :/

I've seen those too. My grandmama (R.I.P.) had one of those medical alert systems. The main station had separate buttons for fire, medical, police, etc. 'Twould be nice to have different phone numbers too. The drawback would be having to hire a lot of new operators and such. :/
    Yeah... maybe we could combine EMS/FIRE into 911 and have an alternative number for those who don't know any better.

There's not much 911 can do for you anyway if you are having a seizure; my mother gets them periodically in her sleep since 2009 and we only called twice near the beginning of when they started happening because we didn't know better. All it earns you is an expensive ambulance ride and an EEG that most of the time will appear normal. It's better to let it pass and to monitor the person until they come-to fully. Then, depending on how you want to handle it; you could schedule a regular appointment with your doctor.
    Red: the blood of angry men
    Black: the dark of ages past
    Red: a world about to dawn
    Black: the night that ends at last!

Happens all the time.

DO NOT CALL 911.

This.
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    Yeah... maybe we could combine EMS/FIRE into 911 and have an alternative number for those who don't know any better.
    Most countries have a catch-all emergency number (911 in North America, 999 in the UK, 112 in most of Continental Europe) and specific numbers for fire, police, and EMS services as well. For example in Russia there's 112 for all emergencies and then: Police – 02; Ambulance – 03; Fire, Search and rescue – 01; Gas leaks – 04

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    They probably believed the Taser can double as a defibrillator. Common misunderstanding.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Happens all the time.

DO NOT CALL 911.

Good advice.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo Shrimp View Post
    In my area they only respond to violence/crime. I've called for a medical emergency and got just the paramedics, and I've called for a fire-related emergency and just got the firefighters.
    Quote Originally Posted by jllundqu View Post
    god damn vipers, all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Restore America Now View Post
    There's not much 911 can do for you anyway if you are having a seizure; my mother gets them periodically in her sleep since 2009 and we only called twice...
    Try habenero hot sauce. I've seen it stop a grand mal seizure. From foaming at the mouth to "wtf is so hot in my mouth?!?" in 2 seconds flat.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Tazer? I'm surprised they just didn't pull out there sidearms and pump him full of lead.

Can you believe this post at the bottom of the article?
    zzz (unregistered)October 11, 2012, 12:29

The story sounds ridiculous. Why would they call the police when they need medical help?
    Last edited by Henry Rogue; 10-15-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Interesting! When I was a cop, I would sit in the communications center waiting for my partner to show up—and it was busy at times. We had two dispatchers operating E911 for our entire county. Having additional numbers, like what Jumbo posted for Russia's emergency system, would really help a lot.

Yeah, for seizures, EMTs can't do a whole lot. The only thing you can do is give them an anticonvulsant or stopping any triggers.

Whatever you do, don't call the cops... please. I can't stand seeing peoples' dogs being shot just because they just happened to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    Try habenero hot sauce. I've seen it stop a grand mal seizure. From foaming at the mouth to "wtf is so hot in my mouth?!?" in 2 seconds flat.
    Srsly? I can see that working for a petit mal, but not a grand mal.